Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Sounds solid to me, IMO. Agree with the mixing though, depending on what equipment and audio settings you're listening with. 3 tracks I wouldn't immediately skip on a consistent basis, and if Reaper's chorus isn't as off-putting as it sounds from what I've heard live, that's 4 solid tracks. Two more and it beats The 2nd Law's entirely skip-worthy second half (sorry, but I need Matt's vocals in a Muse song).

None of these songs seem to have any build-up, other than Dead Inside, which I feel has less of one than Madness...an opinion that most here seem to disagree with me on. That, and less actual tracks (thus less chances for potentially golden songs), are the only factors I can see that would make this album worse than their last. Which I still liked.

Sounds solid to me, IMO. Agree with the mixing though, depending on what equipment and audio settings you're listening with. 3 tracks I wouldn't immediately skip on a consistent basis, and if Reaper's chorus isn't as off-putting as it sounds from what I've heard live, that's 4 solid tracks. Two more and it beats The 2nd Law's entirely skip-worthy second half (sorry, but I need Matt's vocals in a Muse song).

2nd law didn't age well at all, Liquid State kicks ass mind imo

I'm not 100% on this being the final mastered version, I think compression might have something to do with the issues. Didn't In Rainbows sound a lot worse in its downloaded pay what you want form compared to the physical release? I'm no expert though so I could and probably am very wrong.

"Filler" always sounds like an unfair deflection of the fact that someone doesn't LIKE a song unto the band for creating an (allegedly) shit song.

I highly doubt Muse is cranking out songs they don't think are good, at this stage.

You don't like it - that's fair. Why does it have to be a fault of the song?

I really like it. Definitely more than DI and Psycho. Although its a bit disappointing having these 3 songs be the first three songs of the album. Makes quite the lackluster opening even if the rest of them are amazing. I still can't get over DI being the album opener.

Any particular reason why all the songs they've released/played are the first 5 on the album?

"Filler" always sounds like an unfair deflection of the fact that someone doesn't LIKE a song unto the band for creating an (allegedly) shit song.

I highly doubt Muse is cranking out songs they don't think are good, at this stage.

So much this^.

Personally i like it, a lot, just like every song we've heard so far from Drones. Can't wait till' June 8th for the album, and also November 18 to see them in Mexico :D

I think of a filler as a song that wasn't written out of the artist's urge to express himself, but rather because they're making a full length album and it needs to be a certain length. Nothing about this song sounds genuine to me. There's no emotion and musically it's a repetition of steps. So that's why I'm calling it a filler.

In comparison, I dislike Dead Inside, but I don't think it's a filler, the emotion sounds more genuine to me and as a whole, it's not something the band have done before musically.

I think of a filler as a song that wasn't written out of the artist's urge to express himself, but rather because they're making a full length album and it needs to be a certain length. Nothing about this song sounds genuine to me. There's no emotion and musically it's a repetition of steps. So that's why I'm calling it a filler.

In comparison, I dislike Dead Inside, but I don't think it's a filler, the emotion sounds more genuine to me and as a whole, it's not something the band have done before musically.

I would agree, but the entire album is a concept, so technically all of the songs were probably written, not necessarily from an urge to express anything, but to tell the narrative. That being the case, Mercy, while you may consider it musically lazy, might be an integral part of the album from a lyrical standpoint.

With a wee bit of Glorious too

Idk where take a bow comes in? Synths? Plenty of Muse songs have synths. It's really Starlight + Follow Me imo.

Also I'm trying to think of singles of the last two albums that this is better than. Madness and Panic Station immediately come to mind. What else were singles? It seems to vary by country but that was all we got in the US.

Also I'm trying to think of singles of the last two albums that this is better than. Madness and Panic Station immediately come to mind. What else were singles? It seems to vary by country but that was all we got in the US.

TR singles: Uprising, UD, and Resistance

T2L singles: Survival, Madness, Follow Me, Supremacy, and Panic Station (according to wikipedia, wow that's a lot of singles)

I would agree, but the entire album is a concept, so technically all of the songs were probably written, not necessarily from an urge to express anything, but to tell the narrative. That being the case, Mercy, while you may consider it musically lazy, might be an integral part of the album from a lyrical standpoint.

Agreed. That's why I would argue that unless you REALLY have something to say, a concept album reeks of artificially summoned inspiration.