Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

But it doesn't sounds pitch corrected, you can clearly hear at least 2 vocal layers playing at the same time, one higher than another, and thus making the verse sound like it's been pitch shifted/corrected. At first listen i thought there was some vocal editing too, but after 20 listens (:D:D) i realised that that weird effect was because of another vocal note/line being played at the background.

Well maybe Matt's had some secret cybernetic enhancements we don't know about yet :LOL: But I'm still pretty convinced.

And I know there's the falsetto harmony mixed in there too

Finally, I've listened to it, too. Very good track, with massive sounding guitars and a general mood that I feel a bit "space-y", finally. Although the vocals could've been more subtle and ethereal, both in natural expression and applied effects, and the bass less sounding too much like a surrogate synth track coming from a ProTool first scratch.

Therefore, some tweaks in mixing and production could make it even more massive and grandiose than it sounds - given it may not be the definitive version in that sense.

That's not what auto tune actually sounds like. That is T Pain fucking around with auto tune to his own stupid effect.

it actually is. Pitch correction tools give you options to set the correction speed and the scale/notes to correct to, the faster the speed is and the fewer notes you allow the more "T-Pain" it'll get. Almost every mainstream record uses some form of pitch correction but they're usually very subtle that you don't notice it.

The vocals in the bridge sound kinda off.. I can't really put my finger on it.. There's also this weird moment at 2:30 where something on the right sounds kinda off. That's the only thing that kinda bothered me after 1 listen. The vocals in the chorus are a bit too loud, but I kinda like its bombastic nature.

Getting used to the mixing on the song now - and it's definitely grown on me. I do honestly think the production was alot better on DI and Psycho though but this is another solid track from Drones and one that I will have no desire to skip

it actually is. Pitch correction tools give you options to set the correction speed and the scale/notes to correct to, the faster the speed is and the fewer notes you allow the more "T-Pain" it'll get. Almost every mainstream record uses some form of pitch correction but they're usually very subtle that you don't notice it.

I'm aware of that. You basically went into more detail of exactly what I said. T-Pain uses auto tune to make that effect but he screws with the settings to pull it off. Normal commercial use of auto tune doesn't sound like that. It is more subtle.

A really good pop-rock song imo. The production isn't great though. Drums sound way off.

Funny you mention the drums. The drums didn't sound great to me on my headphones. But they sounded MUCH better on my car stereo. Usually it's the other way around (with everything usually sounding better on headphones, picking up more sonic details on headphones as well). The degree to which the production and mix sounded so different on my car stereo really took me by surprise.

Funny you mention the drums. The drums didn't sound great to me on my headphones. But they sounded MUCH better on my car stereo. Usually it's the other way around (with everything usually sounding better on headphones, picking up more sonic details on headphones as well). The degree to which the production and mix sounded so different on my car stereo really took me by surprise.

As has been mentioned, it's just too trebally. The production overall is no way near as good as Psycho's or Dead Inside's.

As has been mentioned, it's just too trebally. The production overall is no way near as good as Psycho's or Dead Inside's.

I know what you're saying, but on other songs that are too "trebly", I don't experience the same discrepancy in sound that I did with this song. I'm sure that's the main reason, but it just seems like there's something else going on.