Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Mercy sounds like a mix of Bliss, Stockholm Syndrome and Starlight, predominantly.

For Bliss and SS, it's the pre-chorus and chorus, arpeggiating synths, bass distortion/fuzz, crotchet and quaver beats and crashes, falsettos (SS), and a groovy but not-complicated bass-line (Bliss).

For Starlight, it's mainly the piano, synth bells, arpeggiating synths, and the use of guitar later in the song, as well as a major key.

That's how I'd best describe Mercy.

Are u serious, just because it's a major key song it sounds like Starlight?

Are u serious, just because it's a major key song it sounds like Starlight?

Are YOU serious? I'm not trying to start any argument.

Just to make you happy with specificity, it's an uplifting song like those from BH&R due to the major key. And just to make you happier with more examples other than Starlight, since you seem so upset that I used one example, then Invincible and Glorious.

glad i'm not the only one who doesn't think the piano melody is similar to starlight, people are far too quick to draw comparisons to other songs

People compare other songs to help describe them to people who haven't heard the new song(s) yet.

I know what you're referring to but come on, outside of the hardcore fanbase I doubt anyone heard it. It won't have made a big enough impact to prompt them to release it early.

Gigwise and NME linked to it by publishing new articles mentioning "Muse debut new song 'Mercy'" in headlines. That's important

Gigwise and NME linked to it by publishing new articles mentioning "Muse debut new song 'Mercy'" in headlines. That's important

If the song itself leaked and had was being downloaded a significant amount of times, maybe. A couple of throw-away articles? Nah.

If the song itself leaked and had was being downloaded a significant amount of times, maybe. A couple of throw-away articles? Nah.

Throw-away articles --> plebs --> visibility. I'm not saying it's a game-changer but it's a possibility it factor(s/ed) in. Also it's likely they were going to release it before the album anyway.

Are YOU serious? I'm not trying to start any argument.

Just to make you happy with specificity, it's an uplifting song like those from BH&R due to the major key. And just to make you happier with more examples other than Starlight, since you seem so upset that I used one example, then Invincible and Glorious.

It doesn't make me happy, my point was that I'm getting tired of hearing people comparing the new songs with the old songs and doing mashups, and percentage of songs. IMO it's very silly. :rolleyes:

I doubt the band cared too much about it getting "leaked" - I mean, how many recordings of Reapers do we have, and it's not like they rushed and got us the studio version. Or even didn't rush.

I simply think it was planned to be the next single anyhow, which we'd been assuming since we'd seen evidence of that in album packaging/ads.

Oh, and the restrictions on the gig were because it's iHeart's property, and having it be secretive and exclusive means we're all going to make sure and listen when it's finally broadcast.

I doubt the band cared too much about it getting "leaked" - I mean, how many recordings of Reapers do we have, and it's not like they rushed and got us the studio version. Or even didn't rush.

I simply think it was planned to be the next single anyhow, which we'd been assuming since we'd seen evidence of that in album packaging/ads.

Oh, and the restrictions on the gig were because it's iHeart's property, and having it be secretive and exclusive means we're all going to make sure and listen when it's finally broadcast.

Band likely don't give much of a shit about anything, it's the management/record companies that care. They're the ones who cleaned up all of the Mercy links anyways. And yeah it's certain it was due to be the next single, but we don't know what the timeframe was

Warner management are also responsible for quashing everything on YT, and elsewhere. It's just them being dicks. And of course they're going to be more aggressive with stuff they (or others) plan to profit off of in the near future. They'd remove any stuff posted from that gig, if anyone cared to upload it.

They were originally crushing stuff from the Psycho tour almost the minute it got put up, too.

It's not like seeing a live version of RBS on YT in 2015 is going to mean I don't purchase something, but that's the idiocy of Warner, for you.

I thought listening to it once wouldn't be so bad, but I always discount my stupid memory.

I'm actually enjoying the stuff from this album so much so far that I'm waiting for the crash, you know?

I love Psycho, I'm fucking obsessed with DI still.

I still have hang ups about the "classic rock clichés" in Reapers, but I can't say it's a bad song, at all.

Also, though, didn't DI just hit #1? Would another single make sense right now?

DI hit number 1? O.o what country are you living in?

DI hit number 1? O.o what country are you living in?

It was in the Charts thread. It's doing well in the US.

Yeah, it's pretty big over here. The synthpop nature of it goes well with the popular music on the rock radio.

Yarp. I've been hearing it a lot more lately.

I've heard it play twice here in the UK and no talk about it. No idea if it was in the Top 40. Strange that Muse receive more attention in some countries they're not from than the one they are.

Songs like DI and Madness in general go down like a lead balloon in the UK