Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Yeah obviously I'm aware how the chorus goes since I've listened to it. The problem is that so much of the song is basically just Matt belting G4s. I am basically longing for the day when his range is gone so he has to write interesting melodies instead of just belting to make something interesting.

Yeah obviously I'm aware how the chorus goes since I've listened to it. The problem is that so much of the song is basically just Matt belting G4s. I am basically longing for the day when his range is gone so he has to write interesting melodies instead of just belting to make something interesting.

He had no range at Coachella last year and it was downright painful. You'd have hoped that his little bout with laryngitis would make him a bit more mindful to that kind of stuff, but maybe not.

The only thing stopping me from enjoying this song is the chorus. Really wish they would have done something more interesting than Matt just belting "MERCYYYYY" in a dull melody.

The chorus is the best part of the song. Without that, it would be weaker than Starlight.

He had no range at Coachella last year and it was downright painful. You'd have hoped that his little bout with laryngitis would make him a bit more mindful to that kind of stuff, but maybe not.

Yeah because then he was trying to sing songs written for his usual range, obviously it's gonna sound bad.

The chorus is the best part of the song. Without that, it would be weaker than Starlight.

It IS weaker than Starlight.

Yeah because then he was trying to sing songs written for his usual range, obviously it's gonna sound bad.

No, he had laryngitis and last year's Coachella was plagued by sandstorms, obviously not good conditions for singing. Matt sounded worse than he ever had live because of that.

No, he had laryngitis and last year's Coachella was plagued by sandstorms, obviously not good conditions for singing. Matt sounded worse than he ever had live because of that.
:facepalm: yes you silly goose, I'm not saying anything about the current state of his voice, I'm saying IF he lost his range, he would write songs that worked with that, so the point that was made about when his voice was wrecked doesn't apply because then he was singing songs that use his ordinary range. If he was trying to sing songs with less focus on belting and high notes (which was my point) then he wouldn't have sounded as bad.

Why do you think I said that singing songs for his USUAL range was gonna sound bad? Because the fact that he was sick was obviously implied.

Edited by Tjet

:facepalm: yes you moron, I'm not saying anything about the current state of his voice, I'm saying IF he lost his range, he would write songs that worked with that, so the point that was made about when his voice was wrecked doesn't apply because then he was singing songs that use his ordinary range. If he was trying to sing songs with less focus on belting and high notes (which was my point) then he wouldn't have sounded as bad.

Why do you think I said that singing songs for his USUAL range was gonna sound bad? Because the fact that he was sick was obviously implied.

Thing is he wasn't even trying to go for his "usual range," he shied away altogether. You just seemed like you were making a snarky comment about his chest voice being what he had to "try", because he was "trying" in general given he was sick. Also I didn't know you could imply all of those things in just one sentence. :phu:

Thing is he wasn't even trying to go for his "usual range," he shied away altogether. You just seemed like you were making a snarky comment about his chest voice being what he had to "try", because he was "trying" in general given he was sick. Also I didn't know you could imply all of those things in just one sentence. :phu:
Well to mention one more thing, the post I quoted literally mentioned laryngitis ;)

And listen to Stockholm Syndrome from one of those two gigs he was sick, can't remember which one. It's so, so horrible.

Well to mention one more thing, the post I quoted literally mentioned laryngitis ;)

And listen to Stockholm Syndrome from one of those two gigs he was sick, can't remember which one. It's so, so horrible.

You could've just dismissed that as nonsense, I can't infer all of these things :mad: and I'd rather not revisit Coachella, it was an embarrassing time...

On another topic, I had a feeling he would tone down the vocals on the new album to make it easier live. Especially after hearing Psycho where Matt uses his comfortable range in a perfect way. Dead Inside and Mercy shows I'm far off though, both of them which are nearly impossible to do properly live on a regular basis.

On another topic, I had a feeling he would tone down the vocals on the new album to make it easier live. Especially after hearing Psycho where Matt uses his comfortable range in a perfect way. Dead Inside and Mercy shows I'm far off though, both of them which are nearly impossible to do properly live on a regular basis.

I agree with Dead Inside, but from the live version of Mercy, it sounded all falsetto, which Matt has no problem with live. Unless he doesn't sing it falsetto on the recording.

I agree with Dead Inside, but from the live version of Mercy, it sounded all falsetto, which Matt has no problem with live. Unless he doesn't sing it falsetto on the recording.
only the second half of the chorus is falsetto.

I really liked Dead Inside and Psycho. Mercy was a disappointment. But maybe it'll grow on me.

Mercy is the better of these 3 singles, and you choose DI and Psycho. I mean, you spend a lot of time talking down Mercy - but I'm not such a negative person like you are, do I won't talk down the 2 songs you like that I don't.