Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I'm surprised so many people seem at least reasonably hyped for this tbh. It's really nothing special from what we've heard imo, pretty much a cross between Follow Me and Starlight. The chorus is particularly boring.

I expect this to be one of those songs that most people look back on as 'meh' at best in a year or two.

I'm surprised so many people seem at least reasonably hyped for this tbh. It's really nothing special from what we've heard imo, pretty much a cross between Follow Me and Starlight. The chorus is particularly boring.

I expect this to be one of those songs that most people look back on as 'meh' at best in a year or two.

It's all about that expected production payoff. I didn't find the chorus boring at all myself. Follow Me is trash so that's not really a valid comparison.

First live performance of Starlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZWdAWyOD9Q

Better in every way than Mercy imo:

- Catchier piano hook at beginning

- Catchier, clappable, drumbeat

- Better bass riff that sounds like it's actually going somewhere

- Better synth arpeggios

- Better backing vocals

- Better structure

- Better climax at end

- Better lyrics (ok still ridiculous by modern pop standards but Matt was never a lyrical genius...)

And Starlight is still being played and is a fan favourite (say what you like, 'casual' fans like it and there are plenty more of them than 'hardcore' fans), it was even closing T2L stadium tour. So at the moment I don't understand Mercy at all. It's like they've copied their own song, albeit with a slightly different lyrical theme and instrumentally worse in pretty much every way.

Maybe it will make more sense on the album but I doubt it.

It's all about that expected production payoff. I didn't find the chorus boring at all myself. Follow Me is trash so that's not really a valid comparison.

Just 'cause Follow Me's shit doesn't mean the two don't share some similarities sonically though.

I find the chorus boring 'cause it's pretty much just 'Meeeeeeercyyyyy' a few times in a boring melody over a bog standard chord progression. It feels lazy lyrically and sounds like someone trying to imitate or parody the band.

The verses are kinda fun/catchy though, I guess.

Just 'cause Follow Me's shit doesn't mean the two don't share some similarities sonically though.

I find the chorus boring 'cause it's pretty much just 'Meeeeeeercyyyyy' a few times in a boring melody over a bog standard chord progression. It feels lazy lyrically and sounds like someone trying to imitate or parody the band.

The verses are kinda fun/catchy though, I guess.

Pretty sure you're the first person to draw a comparison to Follow Me on the boards so far or on reddit lol. I don't hear Follow Me at all, the synths that Nero picked were gimmicky whereas I'd imagine this will sound less EDM and more polished. And you can't dismiss that bassline.

Pretty sure you're the first person to draw a comparison to Follow Me on the boards so far or on reddit lol. I don't hear Follow Me at all, the synths that Nero picked were gimmicky whereas I'd imagine this will sound less EDM and more polished.

Very bass-driven chorus with long, drawn-out singing of the title ('Follow me, you can follow me'/'Mercy, mercy, show me mercy'), which follow both a similar-ish melody. Then there's the beat in the verses as well as the transition between chorus and verse at 2:12 in FM and just after the first chorus of Mercy.

I'm not saying they sound exactly the same but there are similarities. It probably shares more with Starlight tbh, with maybe a little bit of Easily in there as well.

And you can't dismiss that bassline.

I'm dismissing it :chuckle: There's nothing special about it at all imo. Probably the most overhyped bassline in their discography atm, given how many people have gone on about it.

Very bass-driven chorus with long, drawn-out singing of the title ('Follow me, you can follow me'/'Mercy, mercy, show me mercy'), which follow both a similar-ish melody. Then there's the beat in the verses as well as the transition between chorus and verse at 2:12 in FM and just after the first chorus of Mercy.

I'm not saying they sound exactly the same but there are similarities. It probably shares more with Starlight tbh, with maybe a little bit of Easily in there as well.

As far as choruses go, falsetto > chest voice. Just saying. Easily is a better comparison I think, or Bliss. Walking bassline and stuff

I'm dismissing it :chuckle: There's nothing special about it at all imo. Probably the most overhyped bassline in their discography atm, given how many people have gone on about it.

How can the bassline be the most overhyped in their discography when the song hasn't even been released? People have just said they enjoy it. Nobody has said it was the best thing ever

How can the bassline be the most overhyped in their discography when the song hasn't even been released? People have just said they enjoy it. Nobody has said it was the best thing ever

Before the bootleg was released, a common thread throughout most of the descriptions was that it had a 'great bassline'. It was usually pointed out as being one of the more prominent highlights of the song. Since then, I've seen a few people (can't remember any specific posts and really can't be arsed to go back and find them) specifically mention it in a positive way when it's just...standard. Like I said, nothing special.

I never said people were saying it was the best thing ever, I just said it was overhyped.

Hearing it live, it was the bassline that stuck out immediately, and stayed in my mind afterward too. It's definitely less impressive sounding in the recording... Maybe the quality of the bass sound was just really good at that gig, so those of us at iHeart remembered it as being better than it was, hyped it up, and subconsciously made everyone who heard the bootleg like the bassline? :LOL:

I still say it's a good bassline though. *shrug*

Honestly, if it sounds like Follow Me, I'll be really damn happy. :happy:

I only compared it to FM, though, as a song that I got hooked on live and therefore didn't like the studio one as much.

I have only listened to this song once, but my stupid memory - I remember it like I'd listened to it 1,000.