Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

I didn't like TR at first but when T2L came out it helped me appreciate it. I realised I was giving it a hard time. MK Ultra is amazing and USoE is so much fun!

Reapers is completely different, though. It's on a whole other level! It's like the good bits of recent Muse mixed with the raw heaviness of their old sound. Love it.

Yeah, in hindsight TR wasn't half bad. I can still listen to the album and enjoy it all the way through, unlike the T2L. I can listen to Panic Station, IS and Animals out of context but as an album I can barely finish it.

*Hmmm, "opinions". Just listened to MK Ultra and I Belong To You.*

Too bad they rarely play the only true gems in The Resistance:

1. MK Ultra - almost single-handedly saved The Resistance. In hindsight, not a poor "PiB wannabe" - a great evolution of PiB (for MK Ultra lovers like me).

2. I Belong To You - In hindsight, Muse homage and love letter to the French Musers / Muse loyalists (regardless, if they hate or find cute his horrendous attempt at French). Super cheesy "new" Muse at their finest.

I'm not saying he isn't good, I was just saying if we start comparing him to OTHER good singers (like, not Arctic Monkeys or anything. Alex is good at what he does and I like his voice, but this is from a technical standpoint), then he's gonna fall short quite quickly.

Like...Matt wouldn't be able to sing most of the songs in the "songs you want Muse to cover" thread without seriously reworking them, or doing them in a rather weak falsetto. Matt wouldn't even be able to cover a recent Panic at The Disco song properly, while Brendon (their singer) could easily cover any Muse song except Micro Cuts and Overture (because they'd probably sound ridiculous)

I love Matt's voice, but technically he's nothing special. He got a lot better during T2L, but now he's gotten a bit worse again. And range wise he's quite bad actually.

I usually bite my tongue to avoid the aggression and backlash in situations like this, but I have to say I think you're wrong. On almost everything.

Comparing Alex Turner and Matt Bellamy is frankly quite ridiculous, and I love both bands.

Comparing Brendon Urie to Matt Bellamy was also slightly ridiculous.

You can personally find Matt's voice to not be to your taste (although strangely you said it is) but to say he is technically nothing special and lacking in range is quite stunning to read in text form.

1. I don't like the production.

2. I don't like it as an album, as a whole.

3. Guiding Light is crap, Uprising and US are a bit dull. I never really got MK Ultra. USoE annoys me.

You know, opinions... maybe others don't have the same opinions as you ;)

By the way, i came here to say Reapers fuck*** rock!

Anyway, Reapers...

Not too sure why people don't like the lyrics - "kill by remote control" is perfect, it links the song back to Psycho, and its a very eloquent expression of what drones actually do, while tying in ideas of apathy. And I think they took a leaf out of Ramnstein's book with "here come the drones" - I think its a subversion of Here Comes the Sun. No hope, no love, no cause for optimism, just the near-certainty of Death By Robot.

For me, the musical complexity, that astounding solo and relatively strong lyrics make Reapers probably my favourite Muse song since Cydonia.

I usually bite my tongue to avoid the aggression and backlash in situations like this, but I have to say I think you're wrong. On almost everything.

Comparing Alex Turner and Matt Bellamy is frankly quite ridiculous, and I love both bands.

Comparing Brendon Urie to Matt Bellamy was also slightly ridiculous.

You can personally find Matt's voice to not be to your taste (although strangely you said it is) but to say he is technically nothing special and lacking in range is quite stunning to read in text form.

I wasn't comparing them. I was explaining what I meant by comparing Matt to good singers, so someone wouldn't come and say that Matt is clearly better than singers like Alex Turner. Learn to read.

No it isn't. They're both singers in rock bands who do loads of genres, and they focus on strong chest notes and piercing falsetto notes. Brendon just happen to be better at it. To say that they're not comparable only shows that you don't know anything about him.

And you're also showing that you don't know much about range. Matt has about A2-Bb4 in usable chest range, and up to about G5 in sung falsetto (A5 if you count his whole career). This means he can sing most songs that don't have low notes, but will have to replace loads of the highs with his comparably weak falsetto these days. He has less chest range than for example Brandon Flowers, Dave Gahan, Brendon Urie, Chester Bennington, Serj Tankian, Chad Kroeger, Jared Leto, Gerard Way, Chris Martin and even Damon Albarn. Honestly I've checked the ranges of loads of artists, and Matt is one of the most limited singers out there in popular music. It's just that he uses the range that he has more commonly than someone like Damon Albarn.

Matt also lacks a lot of low range compared to other high range singers (and high range as well tbh). Adam Lambert has SUNG (not yelped like Bellamy's highest notes) up to B5, and down to E2. Jimmy Gnecco D2-C6, Morten Harket C2-G#5 and Brendon Urie D2-C6.

Now, tell me how much range you think Matt has simply because you've heard him sing in falsetto.

EDIT: We can also add Jeff Buckley F2-D6, Mike Patton has like 6 sung octaves, Patrick Stump has F2-G#5..

You know, opinions... maybe others don't have the same opinions as you ;)

By the way, i came here to say Reapers fuck*** rock!

Ah yes, me saying that I THINK The Resistance is a bad album is clearly stepping on a lot of toes. Edited by Tjet

Just be lucky you are a fan of a band whose singer can actually sing live, there aren't many out there.
There kinda are.

But okay, I'm gonna refrain from making another long post with loads of examples :LOL:

Instantly fell in love with the studio version of Reapers just like how i did with the live version back when the footage of Reapers live at the Belfast gig was uploaded on YT.

Only things that bother me are:

- intro sounds so much like Hot For Teacher, it kinda bugs me occasionally

- they put in the Freedom-sounding outro in the studio version

Other than that, my hype for drones moved up more than just a gear. Fuck inertia.

Ah yes, me saying that I THINK The Resistance is a bad album is clearly stepping on a lot of toes.

You're right. I loved it at the time because I was in that 'I love Muse so much I couldn't possibly see their faults' phase. But looking back, TR does suck. Okay, it's a good album in its own rights, but when it's following up on the likes of OOS, Abso and BHaR, it's quite the comedown.

I don't think we all appreciate Matt enough to be honest :LOL:

Im a big fan of RHCP and it's been embarrasing to hear Kiedis live since 2004 for example. Listen to Californication or Parallel Universe from 2004 Rock Am Ring and then thank Matt for being so awesome :)

Im a big fan of RHCP and it's been embarrasing to hear Kiedis live since 2004 for example. Listen to Californication from 2004 Rock Am Ring and then thank Matt for being so awesome :)

Exactly... Which is why i always avoid their live videos.

And, on a random note, Biffy Clyro aint too impressive live as well, when it comes to vocals IMO. :(

Im a big fan of RHCP and it's been embarrasing to hear Kiedis live since 2004 for example. Listen to Californication or Parallel Universe from 2004 Rock Am Ring and then thank Matt for being so awesome :)

Pretty much every artist I really like is really good live, so I don't really need to compare to a few shitty singers.

Exactly... Which is why i always avoid their live videos.

And, on a random note, Biffy Clyro aint too impressive live as well, when it comes to vocals IMO. :(

He is gotten better though, the absolute bottom was 2004. 2006-2007 had really good days and same for 2011-present. He is not that shitty just doesn't give a fuck.