Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

I wasn't comparing them. I was explaining what I meant by comparing Matt to good singers, so someone wouldn't come and say that Matt is clearly better than singers like Alex Turner. Learn to read.

No it isn't. They're both singers in rock bands who do loads of genres, and they focus on strong chest notes and piercing falsetto notes. Brendon just happen to be better at it. To say that they're not comparable only shows that you don't know anything about him.

And you're also showing that you don't know much about range. Matt has about A2-Bb4 in usable chest range, and up to about G5 in sung falsetto (A5 if you count his whole career). This means he can sing most songs that don't have low notes, but will have to replace loads of the highs with his comparably weak falsetto these days. He has less chest range than for example Brandon Flowers, Dave Gahan, Brendon Urie, Chester Bennington, Serj Tankian, Chad Kroeger, Jared Leto, Gerard Way, Chris Martin and even Damon Albarn. Honestly I've checked the ranges of loads of artists, and Matt is one of the most limited singers out there in popular music. It's just that he uses the range that he has more commonly than someone like Damon Albarn.

Matt also lacks a lot of low range compared to other high range singers (and high range as well tbh). Adam Lambert has SUNG (not yelped like Bellamy's highest notes) up to B5, and down to E2. Jimmy Gnecco D2-C6, Morten Harket C2-G#5 and Brendon Urie D2-C6.

Now, tell me how much range you think Matt has simply because you've heard him sing in falsetto.

EDIT: We can also add Jeff Buckley F2-D6, Mike Patton has like 6 sung octaves, Patrick Stump has F2-G#5..

Ah yes, me saying that I THINK The Resistance is a bad album is clearly stepping on a lot of toes.

Wtf, Gahan has more chest range than Bellamy? :LOL: Funnily enough, I haven't noticed. If it ain't too bothersome, could you please give some examples (just give the songs, I'll search for the notes myself)

Wtf, Gahan has more chest range than Bellamy? :LOL: Funnily enough, I haven't noticed. If it ain't too bothersome, could you please give some examples (just give the songs, I'll search for the notes myself)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0fBh13UL0I&t=1m45s A4s in this song, so the same as City of Delusion and Madness live.

Some high chest screaming at first, B4s. Then a great E5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlovMGwUoA&t=1m12s backing vocals here go down to B1, so almost a full octave below Matt's lowest.

and here's some falsetto singing that goes up to F5

I'm more surprised about Gerard Way and Brandon Flowers. I guess I can't tell the difference between chest voice, head voice and falsetto. :$

Oh, and so as not to go off-topic, I love the Reapers studio version. It works well after Mercy, the guitars have tons of bounce and the outro is genuinely unsettling. One (tiny!) thing that annoys me a bit compared with the live versions is that the "killed by" and "by the" vocals are sustained into the pre-chorus riff, and I think it's better when they cut off before it.

Edited by Unidentifiable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0fBh13UL0I&t=1m45s A4s in this song, so the same as City of Delusion and Madness live.

Some high chest screaming at first, B4s. Then a great E5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlovMGwUoA&t=1m12s backing vocals here go down to B1, so almost a full octave below Matt's lowest.

and here's some falsetto singing that goes up to F5

Man, you're my favourite swede.

I wasn't comparing them. I was explaining what I meant by comparing Matt to good singers, so someone wouldn't come and say that Matt is clearly better than singers like Alex Turner. Learn to read.

No it isn't. They're both singers in rock bands who do loads of genres, and they focus on strong chest notes and piercing falsetto notes. Brendon just happen to be better at it. To say that they're not comparable only shows that you don't know anything about him.

And you're also showing that you don't know much about range. Matt has about A2-Bb4 in usable chest range, and up to about G5 in sung falsetto (A5 if you count his whole career). This means he can sing most songs that don't have low notes, but will have to replace loads of the highs with his comparably weak falsetto these days. He has less chest range than for example Brandon Flowers, Dave Gahan, Brendon Urie, Chester Bennington, Serj Tankian, Chad Kroeger, Jared Leto, Gerard Way, Chris Martin and even Damon Albarn. Honestly I've checked the ranges of loads of artists, and Matt is one of the most limited singers out there in popular music. It's just that he uses the range that he has more commonly than someone like Damon Albarn.

Matt also lacks a lot of low range compared to other high range singers (and high range as well tbh). Adam Lambert has SUNG (not yelped like Bellamy's highest notes) up to B5, and down to E2. Jimmy Gnecco D2-C6, Morten Harket C2-G#5 and Brendon Urie D2-C6.

Now, tell me how much range you think Matt has simply because you've heard him sing in falsetto.

Well first off, I still don't understand the issue in comparing Matt Bellamy to great singers, especially when Alex Turner was cited as an example. Technical know-how or not, Matt is widely considered a great singer. Are you suggesting if more people knew as much as you on the subject they would change their mind?

I definitely know next to nothing about range, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that, but regardless I think it's fair to say that a singer's merits should be judged on whether or not what they can achieve in a studio setting can be translated comfortably to a live setting, that's usually the barometer isn't it? And some of the frontmen you cited don't do this as well as Matt. I've seen Flowers, Bennington and Tankian in concert with their respective bands and I thought they were weak vocally to be frank. Flower's voice pretty much disappears under any sort of strain. Bennington looks like he's under serious stress when singing and his performance reflects this. Tankian doesn't seem to have the lung capacity to keep up with the speed of his delivery on records.

I understand you are knowledgable into what makes a singer technically sound and you were talking about their vocal range, but if you're asking me what simply sounds most aesthetically pleasing, I think Matt pisses over a lot of the frontmen you suggested. And that was what the original discussion was about, I just naively took it down the range "route" because I think you're way too harsh with your opinion of Matt's voice.

Well first off, I still don't understand the issue in comparing Matt Bellamy to great singers, especially when Alex Turner was cited as an example. Technical know-how or not, Matt is widely considered a great singer. Are you suggesting if more people knew as much as you on the subject they would change their mind?

I definitely know next to nothing about range, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that, but regardless I think it's fair to say that a singer's merits should be judged on whether or not what they can achieve in a studio setting can be translated comfortably to a live setting, that's usually the barometer isn't it? And some of the frontmen you cited don't do this as well as Matt. I've seen Flowers, Bennington and Tankian in concert with their respective bands and I thought they were weak vocally to be frank. Flower's voice pretty much disappears under any sort of strain. Bennington looks like he's under serious stress when singing and his performance reflects this. Tankian doesn't seem to have the lung capacity to keep up with the speed of his delivery on records.

I understand you are knowledgable into what makes a singer technically sound and you were talking about their vocal range, but if you're asking me what simply sounds most aesthetically pleasing, I think Matt pisses over a lot of the frontmen you suggested. And that was what the original discussion was about, I just naively took it down the range "route" because I think you're way too harsh with your opinion of Matt's voice.

Once again, Alex Turner wasn't mentioned as an example of a great singer, it was the exact opposite. And the issue with comparing Matt to great singers is that he falls flat in so many aspects, as I said. And yes, they would.

And don't worry, I just mentioned some example that I knew you'd have heard of, I can mention just as many (and more) that are great live. And that Bennington looks weird when he sings doesn't mean a damn thing. He uses loads of breath support, that's all.

And I said that I really like Matt's voice, so that you took it down the path of technique and vocal range was obviously a way to try and prove that he is more than just a singer who sounds good to some. I don't really care who you find aesthetically pleasing, that was never an issue. You're just as allowed to like his voice as I am.

Once again, Alex Turner wasn't mentioned as an example of a great singer, it was the exact opposite. And the issue with comparing Matt to great singers is that he falls flat in so many aspects, as I said. And yes, they would.

And don't worry, I just mentioned some example that I knew you'd have heard of, I can mention just as many (and more) that are great live. And that Bennington looks weird when he sings doesn't mean a damn thing. He uses loads of breath support, that's all.

And I said that I really like Matt's voice, so that you took it down the path of technique and vocal range was obviously a way to try and prove that he is more than just a singer who sounds good to some. I don't really care who you find aesthetically pleasing, that was never an issue. You're just as allowed to like his voice as I am.

So, just to clarify, if people "knew what you knew", Matt would no longer be considered a great singer? Expect an extermination drone inbound lest you one day have a platform on which to inform people of this knowledge. You could be a threat to one of Warner's most lucrative properties!

I wasn't worrying and i'm deliriously happy that you know of so many artists, but I didn't say Bennington looking weird means what you thought I meant, I said he looks under strain hitting a lot of his notes, and it reflects in the performance. He sounds strained.

A lot of your posts seem to contain a thin veil of condescension that suggest you think your opinion on certain matters is more valid than other people's, for one reason or another. I'm not the first to take issue with it and I can pretty much guarantee I wont be the last.

A lot of your posts seem to contain a thin veil of condescension that suggest you think your opinion on certain matters is more valid than other people's, for one reason or another. I'm not the first to take issue with it and I can pretty much guarantee I wont be the last.

*applauds*

I love the studio version!

I'm really enjoying the production for this album and it just really shines in reapers. So punchy! The track has loads of personality. I could say this for all of the tracks we've heard so far but Reapers really makes me realise how bland a lot of the T2L was. There were some neat tunes in that one but this song alone blows that whole album out of the water, imo.

Also I'm quite enjoying the vocal delivery on all the songs so far. Matt's vocals were really strong on the T2L (perhaps better they ever were) but sometimes I get the feeling that the delivery sounded a bit contrived, whereas in the bridge of Dead Inside or Reaper's verses they have this intensity and a slight "urgency" that I always felt was very unique to Matt. When I first heard that bridge kick in (in DI) I didn't even notice how the lyrics were so cheesy/basic, because the delivery seemed so sincere. It was the first time in quite a while that a new muse track actually felt like it had some emotional resonance.

Only thing I'm not that excited about is the outro. It kicks ass, and even kinda fits the whole narrative thing thematically, but musically it just feels way too alien to the rest of the song. It must be a face melter live, though.

It's really a shame this album is BHAR all over again :LOL:

EPEqMH7.jpg

Don't see why you or anyone bothers bitching about loudness, we all know what it is and very few artists go against it. No point in these annoying posts that only serve to highlight pretension. Literally the most annoying fucking thing. The mixing on this album is far better anyways, so losing those extra frequencies doesn't make this album "as poorly produced/mixed" as BHAR. This is far better by comparison