Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

For some reason they remind me of electrical noise with the distortion on them.

I can clearly hear voices, but I can't tell what they're saying at all.

Mostly I find them irritating, distracting and camp.

Oh I can't really hear what they're saying either, but I can clearly make out their texture, which I wouldn't ever call anything approaching static, which is just white noise. They're very textured and nuanced, and carry clear pitches. It's a typical vocoder sound, really. Not really meant for lyrical clarity, but for texture and harmonization.

It is a bit camp though, I'll agree to that. ;) And whether or not you mind that is a bit subjective I guess. I feel like it really works in this song, with the sort of manic, amped up, ride of the valkyries-esque killing frenzy the chorus is depicting.

I'll also add: When all we had were the live recordings, I wasn't really sure what to make of the outro. It felt disconnected from the rest of the song. But now that I can clearly hear the "HERE COME THE DRONES," I get it. The ridiculously poppy and upbeat chorus shows off how easy and light-hearted killing has become from behind the screen of a drone, whereas the outro is the reality of drone attacks from the perspective of someone on the ground.

:LOL:what kind of poll is this! Electronically arousing and yess!! are not mutually exclusive categories, if any thing they predominantly overlap. Therefore they split the yes vote. And anyway the last category wasn't there when I voted

huh

Back to talking shit then? Doesn't take long for you to get bored.

I'm not talking shit lol, I meant that literally. Chris sings that part live probably because of the awkward guitar timing with how "drones" comes in. I'm convinced it's Matt singing that part in the studio however until proven wrong :phu:

The ridiculously poppy and upbeat chorus shows off how easy and light-hearted killing has become from behind the screen of a drone, whereas the outro is the reality of drone attacks from the perspective of someone on the ground.

I think some people are reading too much into this whole concept thing. I really doubt the band think about it that deeply. Most likely they just thought "Let's add this big fuck-off riff onto the end of it, that'll sound cool".

I'm not talking shit lol, I meant that literally. Chris sings that part live probably because of the awkward guitar timing with how "drones" comes in. I'm convinced it's Matt singing that part in the studio however until proven wrong :phu:

Other way around. It's Chris until you prove it's Matt. Plus I think Matt has made it clear he still wants Chris to be involved vocally as much as possible in the studio even though Chris' doesn't want to sing his own songs.

It's Chris.

I think some people are reading too much into this whole concept thing. I really doubt the band think about it that deeply. Most likely they just thought "Let's add this big fuck-off riff onto the end of it, that'll sound cool".

Album concepts are meant to be read into when they're publicized as "concept albums". Otherwise, it's all rationalization. A lot of things in concept albums can be intended to be openly interpreted, it's possible the band had general ideas of what to achieve in each track, but left cues to pick up as to musical tension, i.e. Mercy's bright melodies + dark lyrics. The bright music/dark themes thing seems to be a recurring motif so far

I agree with your sentiment about not reading too deeply into things, especially as this is Muse... But what I said really wasn't deep or complex at all. Even the video shows the killing in the end. And remember Muse aren't producing themselves anymore. There's a reason that big riff was added there, and there's a reason it has a completely different tone than the rest of the song.

Other way around. It's Chris until you prove it's Matt. Plus I think Matt has made it clear he still wants Chris to be involved vocally as much as possible in the studio even though Chris' doesn't want to sing his own songs.

It's Chris.

I've said various times his voice is too high up and spot on for it to be Chris, plus the exhale sounds way too characteristic of Matt to be Chris. Just because Chris does the part live doesn't establish as Gareeh asserted "truth" that it's Chris. I said I personally will not be convinced it's Chris unless it's proven, you can think the same. A general assertion is inaccurate because live performances does not necessarily equal who recorded the vocal tracks.

Album concepts are meant to be read into when they're publicized as "concept albums". Otherwise, it's all rationalization. A lot of things in concept albums can be intended to be openly interpreted, it's possible the band had general ideas of what to achieve in each track, but left cues to pick up as to musical tension, i.e. Mercy's bright melodies + dark lyrics. The bright music/dark themes thing seems to be a recurring motif so far

Art is supposed to be read into period. Half the fun is finding alternative, deeper and differing interpretation and meaning. I love the idea of the Reapers chorus sounding happy and upbeat as a reflection of how casual killing has become, and how it can be glamorised as a desirable way of living.

Honestly, I just think Matt's been leaning more towards writing bright, poppy music in general since BH&R imo. I don't think it's got much to do with the narrative.

I'm fine with reading into and interpreting the narrative and lyrics or whatever (i.e. the whole 'babe' thing) but it's stuff like "Dead Inside is pop because that's when the protagonist was still happy" that I find a bit silly. I just think it would've sounded pretty much the same anyway.

Honestly, I just think Matt's been leaning more towards writing bright, poppy music in general since BH&R imo. I don't think it's got much to do with the narrative.

I'm fine with reading into and interpreting the narrative and lyrics or whatever (i.e. the whole 'babe' thing) but it's stuff like "Dead Inside is pop because that's when the protagonist was still happy" that I find a bit silly. I just think it would've sounded pretty much the same anyway.

I wouldn't go that far. I mean I'd like to interpret things in terms of the narrative but going that far is too much. It has to actually make sense or support some idea rather than projecting things imo

I've said various times his voice is too high up and spot on for it to be Chris, plus the exhale sounds way too characteristic of Matt to be Chris. Just because Chris does the part live doesn't establish as Gareeh asserted "truth" that it's Chris. I said I personally will not be convinced it's Chris unless it's proven, you can think the same. A general assertion is inaccurate because live performances does not necessarily equal who recorded the vocal tracks.

Does it really matter guys?