Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

Am I the only person who has noticed how similar the chorus of Reapers sounds to 'Express yourself' by Madonna?

Around 50 secs in here...

Sorry if others have already pointed this out and I am just repeating the obvious.

Am I the only person who has noticed how similar the chorus of Reapers sounds to 'Express yourself' by Madonna?

Around 50 secs in here...

Sorry if others have already pointed this out and I am just repeating the obvious.

It has been mentioned before, but only really when the song was first debuted live

We know Matts parents had a "messy divorce" What if breaking up with Kate brought them memories back.

In my eyes it has a more personal meaning. It could be about a break up in which a girlfriend has lied about what happened in order to get their friends on her side - her friends becoming metaphorically drones.

Basically the lyrics are only bad if you're looking at it as a song just about drone warfare. In my eyes it is much deeper than that.

Matt pretty much said exactly that in an interview.

He said he reflected on all the times he's been alone and had to survive on his own, and talked about his childhood in regards to it.

This whole album seems to have a double meaning. His relationship with k.hudson + the whole mind-control thing.

He also said this was the case, too, which I love (cuz it's very Abso,) but insisted none of the stuff was about Kate (although went on to say he "can't talk about" the breakup without it getting into the tabloids and getting overblown...) but that he put a "relatable" second storyline into all the dystopian stuff, with more of a relationship angle.

I'm obsessed with the distorted robotic vocal effect going on in the background of the choruses. Amplifies the song so much, especially after latching on to them from multiple listens. This track is objectively awesome, and it would be an injustice to judge it before listening through a beastly sound system.

I'm obsessed with the distorted robotic vocal effect going on in the background of the choruses. Amplifies the song so much, especially after latching on to them from multiple listens. This track is objectively awesome, and it would be an injustice to judge it before listening through a beastly sound system.

This so much.

Same. Although the highlight is the vocals in the first part of the first verse. Love them so much.

This, so much! I was really into the verses from what I had heard form the live versions, but when I plugged the studio version and that first verse kicked in I was surprised by how well the vocals matched the intensity of the song. Idk if it's got anything to do with having a producer on board pushing Matt to do a gazillion takes but I really appreciate the attention to detail/the way they really shaped the delivery. I can't stop mumbling the whole verse everywhere I go.

Also today I got the chance to hook up the song to a proper stereo and I was blown away by how massive the rythm section sounds. I don't know if the track is overly compressed (the whole loudness thing) but in any case I'm really enjoying how it sounds, overall.

btw, this morning I could watch the YT video, but suddently in the afternoon it says it's not available in my country. Weird.

Edited by s3ker

Yeah see I actually think the solos sounds SUPER sharp, eccentric/unique in one or two parts as compared to the live version but pretty much in line with the live version. I think its Matt's All-time best solo. Never really thought about it but Muse doesn't have a HUGE number of guitar solos in there catalogue, maybe 15-20 or so and by solos I mean longer than 15 seconds minimum. But this is probably due to the musical complexity to there music in general. That and they Riff a lot which may take up the space of potential solos.

But i'm loving the studio version of Reapers. Best song they've recorded since Exogenesis and the best rocker kind of song since Knights of Cydonia.

Yes - the distortion (hope that is the rght word) on his vocals is pretty similar in both tracks as well.

People are nuts if they think Chris is doing these parts. It's more obvious than Obama's hate towards conservatives that part in Psycho is Matt, since when has Chris ever done vibrato falsetto? Just because Chris sings the "drones" part and the "here come the drones" part live during Reapers that doesn't mean he recorded it in studio, they also both obviously sound like Matt.