Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

The main chunk of the song is definitely a lot colder than the live version. The argument was brought up about dynamic range but people were really used to the live setting which had little range, and just kept intensity start to finish (the difference is apparent in the verses).

The ending however has to be one of the most direct recordings they've done. No difference performance-wise from any of the live versions we've seen except the distorted vocals. That's pretty cool, as they've never really done that. It was an attitude I always wished The 2nd Law was recorded with.

I love it. From the power of the chorus to the live-esque outro to the overall feel of the song, it's fucking swanky. Probably among their best work since BHaR for me. I don't claim to know much about production but it sounds good to me, though I'm the type to enjoy it for what it is and don't really care about the production of any of their previous albums either.

Is production really that bad that it physically hampers your abilities to enjoy a song? I genuinely feel bad for you types.

I love it. From the power of the chorus to the live-esque outro to the overall feel of the song, it's fucking swanky. Probably among their best work since BHaR for me. I don't claim to know much about production but it sounds good to me, though I'm the type to enjoy it for what it is and don't really care about the production of any of their previous albums either.

Is production really that bad that it physically hampers your abilities to enjoy a song? I genuinely feel bad for you types.

It does only when the production is atrocious. It rarely ever is though. It's a given songs will always sound different studio than they do live unless it was recorded and mixed as a full band live take, but when it's recorded and mixed in parts/layers production that makes the song sound like a completely different song (in a bad way) are what ruin them for me. Has yet to happen so far with this album.

This had the potential to be brilliant, I love nearly everything about it, but I just can't get over Matt's abysmal lyricism. I genuinely don't know how he sings with a straight face anymore.

They're just the kind of thing your pot smoking friend on Facebook who posts conspiracy theory videos all day would write, just paranoid political drivel. It would be forgiveable if it wasn't so in your face and literal, but Matt just doesn't seem to comprehend the art of subtlety.

Shame really. I understand I may very well be in the minority here, but to me Muse just become more of a parody of themselves as time goes by.

Just my two cents of course.

I don't necessarily agree, but I certainly see what you're saying. Muse are starting to feel like a novelty niche band to me in spots, and some bits here and there are somewhat embarrassing to listen to openly out of context. Still, Muse are the GOAT.

Wow, just listened too it. I don't know what to say.

This was like my favorite song off the past two albums from the live recordings but I don't know if I even like this much at all.

Holy shit how did they fuck this up so bad. Its Waaaayyyy overproduced.

The lyrics sounded way better in my head. Also the lyric videos are so cringeworthy.

Sorry for cynicism, but damn, shits got me salty.

EDIT: Alright second listen calmed down. Song is better without watching the godawful lyric video.

What I don't like:

Still a bit overproduced.

The background voices in the chorus.

The lyrics.

The worst thing to say is that something is overproduced. Pretentious wankery.

You wanna look clever but it never works by saying that shit.

The worst thing to say is that something is overproduced. Pretentious wankery.

You wanna look clever but it never works by saying that shit.

Also agreed. Saying something is overproduced is often used to mean poorly produced, since often overproduction/too much messing around on the production side messes up the overall production. I personally don't throw around "overproduced" unless something really is, and more often than not it's not necessary. Poor/shit production is more common than overproduction, but neither of the above statements apply to this song. Production is ace.

I don't think Muse have been overproduced or poorly produced since The Resistance... There's the question of volume for certain aspects of the production for guitar work in The Resistance but it's hardly of an inferior quality or over worked. Muse are spot on these days.

I don't think Muse have been overproduced or poorly produced since The Resistance... There's the question of volume for certain aspects of the production for guitar work in The Resistance but it's hardly of an inferior quality or over worked. Muse are spot on these days.

The Resistance's production wasn't overproduced IMO. A lot of T2L was overproduced although the mixes were better.

It's been there but the only audible word sounded like "control". It definitely was two syllables, whatever Chris sang live. I would love it if Matt yelled "here come the..." Then chugs straight into the riff while Chris screams "drones"

It strikes me that Spinal Tap's Smell The Glove being "mixed wrong" was exactly the informed diagnosis given by David St Hubbins' girlfriend.

As for the "HERE COME THE DRONES" bit, it has been there since the start, but because most of us either first heard the song live or through Youtube phone videos, we didn't quite pick up on it. I imagine it'll be a bit more prominent when there's 15,000 of us in an arena shouting it, jumping up and down and forming circle pits now we know the song better. ;)

Incidentally, I think it's calling out for a T2L stadium tour show-opening style pyro right there. Imagine that, the build up, then shouting "here come the drones" while that fireball erupts in the middle of the crowd. Just a thought...

I think some people are reading too much into this whole concept thing. I really doubt the band think about it that deeply. Most likely they just thought "Let's add this big fuck-off riff onto the end of it, that'll sound cool".

As long as you present some arguments, you can hardly ever read too much into a concept album... Point is that a good conceptalbum - just as a good novel - creates numerous ways of interpreting the story and the way it is presented. With this one, I think it's exactly as was said in the post before this one: It's a game at first (listen to the guitar solo, great as it is, Matt plays like he's like moving a gamecontroller around like crazy), but at the end it's what it really is: brutal killing.

I don't think it is a coincedence, and if it is: That's what a good story does: it gives you alll kinds of angles to create a defendable interpretation.

And for the rest: GREAT SONG!!!