Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

As long as you present some arguments, you can hardly ever read too much into a concept album... Point is that a good conceptalbum - just as a good novel - creates numerous ways of interpreting the story and the way it is presented. With this one, I think it's exactly as was said in the post before this one: It's a game at first (listen to the guitar solo, great as it is, Matt plays like he's like moving a gamecontroller around like crazy), but at the end it's what it really is: brutal killing.

I don't think it is a coincedence, and if it is: That's what a good story does: it gives you alll kinds of angles to create a defendable interpretation.

And for the rest: GREAT SONG!!!

Pretty much this. I don't think Matt is as dumb or simple minded as people like to claim. Regardless of what you think about the actual lyrical quality, it's clear from interviews that Matt has put quite a lot of thought into this album and its concept.

Pretty much this. I don't think Matt is as dumb or simple minded as people like to claim. Regardless of what you think about the actual lyrical quality, it's clear from interviews that Matt has put quite a lot of thought into this album and its concept.
Which makes it even worse considering how bad the lyrical material is.

Which makes it even worse considering how bad the lyrical material is.

That's subjective though. Anyways, I think Matt comes from the David Gilmour line of thinking, where they view the music as their main form of expression, and the lyrics are secondary and just a sort of surface guide to what they want the song to convey. I probably worded that terribly but hopefully you get what I mean. I'm not saying this approach is right or wrong, it's just one that I've always preferred so I've had almost zero problems with any of Matt's lyrics.

That's subjective though. Anyways, I think Matt comes from the David Gilmour line of thinking, where they view the music as their main form of expression, and the lyrics are secondary and just a sort of surface guide to what they want the song to convey. I probably worded that terribly but hopefully you get what I mean. I'm not saying this approach is right or wrong, it's just one that I've always preferred so I've had almost zero problems with any of Matt's lyrics.
Of course it is.

But in this case it seems that lyrics have been quite important, judging from interviews.

Of course it is.

But in this case it seems that lyrics have been quite important, judging from interviews.

I guess I just don't mind literal lyrics, similar to how I really like the album cover and don't see why it being obvious makes it bad. It's the silly sounding stuff like "brainwashing our children to be mean" that makes me shake my head a bit.

I guess I just don't mind literal lyrics, similar to how I really like the album cover and don't see why it being obvious makes it bad. It's the silly sounding stuff like "brainwashing our children to be mean" that makes me shake my head a bit.

whoa whoa whoa what? You say you're fine with the lyrics, (even if they are bad), then you say you didn't like the Supremacy line?

Of course it is.

I thought Matt said in the KROQ interview a couple months back that the music was his priority over lyrics. I'm not sure if he was referring to "in general" or Drones specific.

I thought Matt said in the KROQ interview a couple months back that the music was his priority over lyrics. I'm not sure if he was referring to "in general" or Drones specific.
That tells us nothing about how much effort he puts into the lyrics though.

Remember that tiny clip of Reapers they released a while back that just had the riff and people shouting "Drones!" instead of the screamy voice. I kinda wish it was still the shout. Not really a criticism just a vague want. :LOL:

Yeah people are still divided on that issue. The chanting was so cheesy and camp though. But rest assured that an edit will show up pretty soon.

I do admit that I tend to prefer his OoS-BHaR lyrics over everything else, and actually think most of them from these albums are excellent, so it's hard for me to believe Matt just suddenly lost the ability to write that style of lyrics. So I guess he's either making a stylistic choice not to, or he just cares less about lyrics than he used to (I'd lean towards the former).

I do admit that I tend to prefer his OoS-BHaR lyrics over everything else, and actually think most of them from these albums are excellent, so it's hard for me to believe Matt just suddenly lost the ability to write that style of lyrics. So I guess he's either making a stylistic choice not to, or he just cares less about lyrics than he used to (I'd lean towards the former).

Agreed. How he manages to write brilliant lyrics and then suddenly appalling ones just has to be intentional.

It is the heaviest thing since Dead Star. The outro is really nasty.

Also, complaining about the production on this one seems dumb. It's got that Dead Star digital distortion guitar crunch. I don't get it. I could understand complaints with Mercy but this one is mixed and produced great.

Recent "heavy songs" have been neutered production wise or were marred by cheese. Survival was only heavy for the Drop D part, Liquid State sounded like Foo Fighters, Unnatural Selection had impotent guitar tones, Assassin never gets flat out brutal and crunchy like this one...IMO, this is the heaviest one in a long time.

because the lyrics in reapers aren't silly sounding at all

Recent "heavy songs" have been neutered production wise or were marred by cheese. Survival was only heavy for the Drop D part, Liquid State sounded like Foo Fighters, Unnatural Selection had impotent guitar tones, Assassin never gets flat out brutal and crunchy like this one...IMO, this is the heaviest one in a long time.

try drop Ab haha but yeah i agree with the production thing, i think it sounds beefier than anything we've had in a long time