Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

If this is the song used by the FA Cup (In not keeping up with all that), doesn't anyone else think the lyrics are pretty apt, given what's been going on with FIFA recently?

"You rule with lies and deceit and the world is on your side"...

He's pretty modest...

Exactly. Well obviously he has flaws in every area, and I think his limited vocal capabilities would show a lot more if they tried to cover some other rock bands with good singers, which I think he knows.

But that's beside the point.

I last listened to it yesterday at 8pm. Stuck it on today for first time at 3pm and it sounds even better!

Now I know of those vocoder lyrics in the chorus they really fit nicely

"You can run but you're never gonna hide, you can run but you're never gonna never gonna"

Love it!

Or you could just compare it to the quality of the music (in the two previous albums at least). Did he just lose the ability to write good songs?

I'm going to say no, because I've loved quite a few songs from the last few albums, even if they haven't been as consistent as some of the previous albums.

because the lyrics in reapers aren't silly sounding at all

Correct, they don't sound silly to me because they work within the context of the song.

Exactly. Well obviously he has flaws in every area, and I think his limited vocal capabilities would show a lot more if they tried to cover some other rock bands with good singers, which I think he knows.

But that's beside the point.

Today I learned Matt's not a good singer. I mean, I'm not saying he is the greatest singer of all time or anything but come on, man. :LOL: Correct me if I misread.

Today I learned Matt's not a good singer. I mean, I'm not saying he is the greatest singer of all time or anything but come on, man. :LOL: Correct me if I misread.

I'm not saying he isn't good, I was just saying if we start comparing him to OTHER good singers (like, not Arctic Monkeys or anything. Alex is good at what he does and I like his voice, but this is from a technical standpoint), then he's gonna fall short quite quickly.

Like...Matt wouldn't be able to sing most of the songs in the "songs you want Muse to cover" thread without seriously reworking them, or doing them in a rather weak falsetto. Matt wouldn't even be able to cover a recent Panic at The Disco song properly, while Brendon (their singer) could easily cover any Muse song except Micro Cuts and Overture (because they'd probably sound ridiculous)

I love Matt's voice, but technically he's nothing special. He got a lot better during T2L, but now he's gotten a bit worse again. And range wise he's quite bad actually.

I'm not saying he isn't good, I was just saying if we start comparing him to OTHER good singers (like, not Arctic Monkeys or anything. Alex is good at what he does and I like his voice, but this is from a technical standpoint), then he's gonna fall short quite quickly.

Like...Matt wouldn't be able to sing most of the songs in the "songs you want Muse to cover" thread without seriously reworking them, or doing them in a rather weak falsetto. Matt wouldn't even be able to cover a recent Panic at The Disco song properly, while Brendon (their singer) could easily cover any Muse song except Micro Cuts and Overture (because they'd probably sound ridiculous)

I love Matt's voice, but technically he's nothing special. He got a lot better during T2L, but now he's gotten a bit worse again. And range wise he's quite bad actually.

Fair enough. I guess it goes to show you there's more to being a good singer than strictly technical ability/range, though those things certainly can help. Panic at the Disco's singer seems to have quite the range to my untrained ear, I just can't stand his singing style at all. I can't get into Dream Theater for the same reason.

I'm still hoping there will be at least one song on Drones where Matt really "wows" vocally.

I last listened to it yesterday at 8pm. Stuck it on today for first time at 3pm and it sounds even better!

Now I know of those vocoder lyrics in the chorus they really fit nicely

"You can run but you're never gonna hide, you can run but you're never gonna never gonna"

Love it!

I agree, bloody love them. Can't figure out what it's saying, even though you've posted it, but they sound awesome either way.

Just watched and listened to the video. Sounds really good, I think. Listening back through Mercy and Dead Inside now too and enjoying them more than previously which is encouraging. Still a bit weary of the whole drones theme but not much I can do about that. Looking forward to the album more than I was a few weeks ago anyway. Still wish they were releasing it in surround sound so I could delete the Drill Sergeant in Psycho though, haha!

Fair enough. I guess it goes to show you there's more to being a good singer than strictly technical ability/range, though those things certainly can help. Panic at the Disco's singer seems to have quite the range to my untrained ear, I just can't stand his singing style at all. I can't get into Dream Theater for the same reason.

I'm still hoping there will be at least one song on Drones where Matt really "wows" vocally.

I'm thinking Revolt might have some of his best stuff vocally actually. But tbh I'm so annoyed that we didn't get Muse doing rock once his voice was at his peak, and that instead it was "wasted" on T2L :(

And on the subject of Brendon,

that goes as high as Showbiz. So effortless in comparison. And here's like four G#5s in a row, once again same as the Showbiz one

It's a concept album. "Mother do you think they'll write this song" sounds stupid out of context.

I can't think of any context in which "killed by remote control", "CIA babe" and "HERE COME DAH DROANS" wouldn't sound stupid.

I'm thinking Revolt might have some of his best stuff vocally actually. But tbh I'm so annoyed that we didn't get Muse doing rock once his voice was at his peak, and that instead it was "wasted" on T2L :(

And on the subject of Brendon,

that goes as high as Showbiz. So effortless in comparison. And here's like four G#5s in a row, once again same as the Showbiz one

Damn, he definitely made that look effortless. And I really hope Revolt has outstanding vocals, because I haven't been excited by the descriptions of that song.

I can't think of any context in which "killed by remote control", "CIA babe" and "HERE COME DAH DROANS" wouldn't sound stupid.

I can, it's called Reapers.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

You are the most critical person in history.

Or you could just compare it to the quality of the music (in the two previous albums at least). Did he just lose the ability to write good songs?

Holy fucking Christ there's nothing wrong with TR. Except for GL.

But seriously in my five years of listening to this band I've never understood why people don't like TR. Resistance is still one of my favorite Muse songs. Exo is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Uprising, US, and MK Ultra are classic Muse to me. And then there's still other great experimental stuff.

I'm sorry I know this is the Reapers discussion board but I had to get that out.

Edited by TheLionSlicer

But seriously in my five years of listening to this band I've never understood why people don't like TR. Resistance is still one of my favorite Muse songs. Exo is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Uprising, US, and MK Ultra are classic Muse to me. And then there's still other great experimental stuff.

I'm sorry I know this is the Reapers discussion board but I had to get that out.

Undisclosed Desires, MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection are great. The rest range from meh to shit. The production makes a lot of the album sound quite flat and boring as well.

But, basically: opinions.

1. I don't like the production.

2. I don't like it as an album, as a whole.

3. Guiding Light is crap, Uprising and US are a bit dull. I never really got MK Ultra. USoE annoys me.

1. I don't like the production.

2. I don't like it as an album, as a whole.

3. Guiding Light is crap, Uprising and US are a bit dull. I never really got MK Ultra. USoE annoys me.

I guess I just really dig experimentation. And prog meandering is a thing that appeals to me for some reason so I guess when 1/3 of an album is dedicated to one overarching concept and the rest has some close-knit theme I'm bound to like it. Love Abso for the same reason. I do get what you mean about the production though.

I didn't like TR at first but when T2L came out it helped me appreciate it. I realised I was giving it a hard time. MK Ultra is amazing and USoE is so much fun!

Reapers is completely different, though. It's on a whole other level! It's like the good bits of recent Muse mixed with the raw heaviness of their old sound. Love it.