:LOL:

Also, side note: How unpopular is it for me to say I think Absolution is better Origin of Symmetry? I'm not going to get killed for that, am I?

Not very.

Abso is hands down my favorite.

It has a lot to do with what album got people into the band, and people being honest enough to go against the clear fanbase favorite.

@heyjackk

I always thought the band had little to nothing to do with setting up tours, but Matt saying at the Grammys that he personally picked the Staples Center because he gets free Kings tickets sort of flies in the face of that.

And with Glen responding personally to the challenges regarding the Brazil pricing, I just think the band works pretty closely with those management decisions.

The first six or seven tracks on each of Origin and Absolution are equally sensational (maybe even giving the edge to Origin). For me though, Origin wanes a bit toward the end while Abso keeps up its steam with songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes, The Small Print and Ruled by Secrecy. Plus, I like the darkness of Abso better.

Not that I begrudge anyone for preferring Origin.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

True enough. This is part of why I will always have a soft spot for The Resistance, since it was the album that got me into Muse. :)

Despite liking some of their songs earlier, I fully boarded the Muse cruise during The Resistance era as well. After becoming more familiar with their whole back catalogue and their subsequent releases, however, I'd probably consider TR to be just about their weakest album.

The first six or seven tracks on each of Origin and Absolution are equally sensational (maybe even giving the edge to Origin). For me though, Origin wanes a bit toward the end while Abso keeps up its steam with songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes, The Small Print and Ruled by Secrecy. Plus, I like the darkness of Abso better.

Not that I begrudge anyone for preferring Origin.

I agree, though maybe "Falling Away with You" was a low point. And it's interesting that you should point out the darkness of Absolution; I've heard it called the darker and edgier version of Origin of Symmetry, and the following tour was probably the darkest one they've ever played, with frequent injuries (most notably Chris breaking his arm) and Dom's dad dying after their legendary Glastonbury 2004 performance.

Despite liking some of their songs earlier, I fully boarded the Muse cruise during The Resistance era as well. After becoming more familiar with their whole back catalogue and their subsequent releases, however, I'd probably consider TR to be just about their weakest album.

The Resistance was honestly my first exposure to them, so you could call it the gateway drug to such albums as OOS and Absolution. :LOL: Also, call me weird, but I kind of consider Showbiz their weakest album. I don't know why, I just felt that the lyrics were a little more juvenile, the production could have been better, and I was surprised that they didn't use more piano.

(And now is when I'm going to be killed. :unsure:)

I got in at Abso's US release, but OoS wasn't easily available here, and I listened to a friend who told me that OoS was inferior to Showbiz, and it was years before I obtained a copy. :noey:

The only song I heard off OoS during that time was, unfortunately, Feeling Good.

Maybe that's all your friend had heard as well.

From that perspective, Showbiz > Origin

I got in at Abso's US release, but OoS wasn't easily available here, and I listened to a friend who told me that OoS was inferior to Showbiz, and it was years before I obtained a copy. :noey:

The only song I heard off OoS during that time was, unfortunately, Feeling Good.

To be fair to Feeling Good, many of the live versions make it a hell of a lot more entertaining. See:

If they did more of those in live performances, it would be more enjoyable.

The Resistance was honestly my first exposure to them, so you could call it the gateway drug to such albums as OOS and Absolution. :LOL: Also, call me weird, but I kind of consider Showbiz their weakest album. I don't know why, I just felt that the lyrics were a little more juvenile, the production could have been better, and I was surprised that they didn't use more piano.

(And now is when I'm going to be killed. :unsure:)

Showbiz is far from my favorite as well but I kind of give it a pass because it comes off as a low-budget, under-produced introduction to a band that's still finding their way. Showbiz has some songs that I really like and some that I'm basically indifferent toward.

On the other hand, Resistance also has some songs that I really like but a few that I really hate. (I'm looking at you, I Belong to You and Undisclosed Desires) Plus, the whole Exogenesis thing is well done and interesting but not really something that I want to listen to regularly. I guess I prefer low-budget and under-produced to big-budget and over-produced.

Showbiz is far from my favorite as well but I kind of give it a pass because it comes off as a low-budget, under-produced introduction to a band that's still finding their way. Showbiz has some songs that I really like and some that I'm basically indifferent toward.

Fair enough. As much as I love mocking the silly lyrics in "Escape," "Muscle Museum," and "Fillip," I won't pretend that my own band's debut album was any better. :$ Plus, the title track, "Sunburn," "Uno," and "Falling Down" are all great songs, the last one especially meaningful to me, as I have faced the same struggle of not being able to get my band any recognition in my town.

On the other hand, Resistance also has some songs that I really like but a few that I really hate. (I'm looking at you, I Belong to You and Undisclosed Desires) Plus, the whole Exogenesis thing is well done and interesting but not really something that I want to listen to regularly. I guess I prefer low-budget and under-produced to big-budget and over-produced.

I actually really like Exogenesis, but that's just me. I won't deny that IBTY and UD are much poppier and less complex than their usual stuff.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks that Undisclosed Desires is better live with the keytar? It adds a lot to the song in my opinion, and I also prefer the pizzicato sound in the Resistance Tour shows over the one they used during the 2nd Law and Drones tours.

Maybe that's all your friend had heard as well.

From that perspective, Showbiz > Origin

He legitimately liked Showbiz better, I don't know if it was because he was also a big Radiohead fanboy, or what.

Said he was disappointed with the direction they were going in OoS, thought it was a big step back, and was more "sterile and unfocused."

True story.

He HATED Abso, and spent ages bashing me for loving it and being 'meh' about his favorite Showbiz songs (which of course weren't Showbiz or Sunburn.)

I'm never sure if Showbiz or TR is my least favorite album. Showbiz and Sunburn rank far higher than any tracks on TR, but TR seems like a better album over all, and Showbiz has some real low moments.

UD was better with the keytar; even though Matt played it for a few seconds after the cool intro.

It just looked cool. :chuckle:

I actually really like Exogenesis, but that's just me. I won't deny that IBTY and UD are much poppier and less complex than their usual stuff.

Poppier is fine with me...in small doses (as in not an entire set list of it). I can take some guilty pleasure from songs like SMBH, Madness, Follow Me, Dead Inside...even the dreaded Guiding Light. I just find UD to be dull and IBTY to be horrid.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks that Undisclosed Desires is better live with the keytar?

What's not better with a keytar?

OK, probably lots of things but it's still preferable to walking off-stage to shake hands with people.

Poppier is fine with me...in small doses (as in not an entire set list of it). I can take some guilty pleasure from songs like SMBH, Madness, Follow Me, Dead Inside...even the dreaded Guiding Light. I just find UD to be dull and IBTY to be horrid.

Eh, Undisclosed Desires grew on me. I prefer it over Follow Me, though I agree with you that IBTY sucks. It's even sillier because, according to Matt, it's actually supposed to be sung from the perspective of someone brainwashed by Big Brother, but all I can think of when listening to it is Twilight.

What's not better with a keytar?

OK, probably lots of things but it's still preferable to walking off-stage to shake hands with people.

I've always thought that Hugh Manson should make Matt a new instrument that's a doubleneck guitar, with one of the necks being a regular guitar and the other one being a keytar. Either that or I should get one. It would certainly make switching from one instrument to the other easier.

Ah, if only, my friend. If only.

Honestly, it's a little surprising to me that they haven't done the whole thing live. Overture was a staple during the Resistance Tour, and they played Redemption once in Japan, but it seems that Cross-Pollination is doomed to join the same world as Falling Away with You, Big Freeze, and now Aftermath.

I agree with you that IBTY sucks. It's even sillier because, according to Matt, it's actually supposed to be sung from the perspective of someone brainwashed by Big Brother, but all I can think of when listening to it is Twilight.

All I can think of when I hear IBTY is a beret-wearing mime holding a baguette while dancing on a piano (and possibly playing a clarinet). I'm not sure if that's better or worse than Twilight. Either way, it's not good.

Honestly, it's a little surprising to me that they haven't done the whole thing live. Overture was a staple during the Resistance Tour, and they played Redemption once in Japan, but it seems that Cross-Pollination is doomed to join the same world as Falling Away with You, Big Freeze, and now Aftermath.

Eh, not to me. Matt always said he was afraid to play Cross-Pol and they probably thought there wasn't much of a demand for the whole thing, especially after TR Tour.

Personally, I don't think there's ever been much of a place for it in setlists. Audiences are already struggling to stay engaged for The Globalist, which is about 2/3 minutes shorter and has a heavy riff section in the middle. I imagine Exogenesis would outright bore most people (including me) to death.

Couldn't you make the argument that part of what the label is supposed to do with promotion is to give the material appeal and exposure, though?

I see the Warner resigning similarly to how I see Matt selling material out to other companies for promotion, too. Although yes, the latter are worse.

tbf, I do also blame the band for a lot of the other cash grab bs like VIP, etc.

I don't believe for a second that they're not aware of decisions like that, and have no say in them.

It's particularly jarring from a band that proclaims to be against stuff like that, so they bring it on themselves, really.

I admit to being really biased against Warner after all the YT persecution; being a US Muse fan living vicariously through fan videos is pretty much the best it gets.

Maybe they could direct some of that effort into assisting the bands that pay them, instead of just collecting royalties.

Ah, forgot about Warner blocking vids in the US. Okay, that is pretty shitty. But more to the point, I feel like there was fairly decent promotion for Drones. At least down under there was a fair bit of buzz. It's not the labels fault if people don't latch onto the songs (which they clearly didn't).

So... There are almost only five hours left to doors opening at Bercy. I wonder how many people are already queuing out there.

EDIT: BTW, here are my two cents abiut the setlist.

1- Drones --> Psycho

2- Plug In Baby

3- Dead Inside

4- Hysteria

5- Isolated System --> The Handler

6- Micro Cuts / Assassin (yep :D)

7- Resistance

8- Supermassive Black Hole

9- Starlight

10- Apocalypse Please / Space Dementia

11- D&B Jam

12- Madness

13- JFK --> Defector

14- Revolt

15- Reapers

16- Time Is Running Out

17- Uprising

18- Stockholm Syndrome

19- The Globalist

20- Drones

21- Unsustainable/Take A Bow (double yep)

22- Mercy

23- Knights Of Cydonia

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Don't think anything too special will happen tonight but I'm hyped for some potential soundcheck news.

Predicting AP, PIB for Map, Stockholm, Defector for Revolt, Resistance and Hysteria.

That's why I've inserted a possible slot for Space Dementia, because they soundchecked it in North America (or it was Mexico?). Furthermore, the fact they could play Aftermath means they might somehow try to play the Drones album back to back and then play the rest. Let's see...

Hoping for AP to stay, the return of SS, 1 more song, Defector instead of Revolt and maybe showbiz/assassin in the "rarity" slot with CE and Bliss ?

For this gig I'd think this set: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2016/verizon-center-washington-dc-63f3da0b.html with a different 'wild card' instead of CE, an extra piano song and Reapers slotting in the encore or before The Globalist allowing Defector to go in after JFK.