I remembered it right after Tom's sequel to it promising "big news" and then openly mocking people complaining about the pathetic US setlists.

I suppose I could look at it like it's not just the US fans they are disdainful of... but really, what a unacceptably shit way to treat your fans.

Especially in that first case, where Tom had explicitly stated that the Zepp would be released, and it was his own mistake or lack of follow up.

I'm a bit tired of all the fans defending it, saying complainers took it too seriously, and it was a joke, etc.

A guy making a video mocking people asking him to fulfill his promise... how is that funny, or cute?

When the promise was not only never fulfilled, but never even addressed other than the mockery.

Same fans telling off the US fans that they shouldn't have expected setlists of the caliber of the festival tour and it's our own fault.

"Omg that gig!!! Wish I was there. How come you only do that stuff in Japan?"

"Don't worry, we'll release the material"

"So where is it? You said we'd get to see the gig"

"Oh so now it's my fault? Yeah, let's just blame it all on me. Everything is my fault, homelessness and war, it's ALL my fault"

So maybe the tech guy (who filmed the gig) shouldn't have promised a release in the first place?

Or, having put his foot in it, addressed all the fans' demands like an adult, explaining what happened?

Really anything would have been better than that video. Fans were literally just Tweeting the person who said there would be a release.

People still thought that video meant an upcoming release.

And that doesn't excuse the second Asian guy video, either.

He's been responsible for so much of the band's filmed releases, there was absolutely no reason for fans to not take him at his word, and it would have been cynical not to.

He's a well known, official spokesperson for the band. The "news" section of their own forum is posted in his name.

Even within his awful video, there's implications that things came up that were out of his control, and that certainly DOES happen.

So... be an adult, tell fans what those things are, and don't whine that they're asking about it...?

Or just ignore them and put up with the "endless questions."

With that video, you've basically slapped fans in the face for being excited, and super committed, to a release from the band you're working with.

Getting a bit far from the point, which was solely about the mean spirited video, not on why the Zepp never surfaced, or who was to blame.

But yes, I would expect the "media manager" for a band to follow up on their statements, especially about releases of the band who's media they're managing.

Even if that follow up is a "hey, this isn't going to happen after all" - instead of poking fun at people who had clearly been waiting with anticipation for years.

It's been a damn long time, and some people STILL think every years' xmas gift will be the full Zepp.

The label shit, I blame on Matt.

(iirc, didn't they show yet another picture about archiving old video, recently? :facepalm: )

Getting a bit far from the point, which was solely about the mean spirited video, not on why the Zepp never surfaced, or who was to blame.

The video really isn't that mean spirited though. It pokes fun and it is a bit snarky, but let's not blow it out of proportion. No one's denying that he put his foot in his mouth.

The label shit, I blame on Matt.

Why not blame it on the actual label?

Why not blame it on the actual label?

Because that's the business. It's a shit business. Matt has repeatedly said he wants to find alternate ways of doing things, and keeps selling out for the quick profit, to a company that does very little in the way of promotion, and is actually rather detrimental to the fans.

Same with the increasing amount of "this is only on Apple, you need a certain cable company to watch this, this one's on Deezer which isn't even widely available, the 4k of the video isn't released and is only for promotion, we sold 500 tickets to a show because we sold it to Guitar Center" crap.

The one that bothered me was the recent ones which was kind of Muse's way of acknowledging the setlist complaints and then (based off the following gigs) ignoring them.

I'd love to see Zepp footage but there's a lot of reasons as to why that could be lost.

Warner gives them good funding and full creative freedom in studio which might be why they continue to work with them.

Is a record label even a requirement anymore for a band as big as Muse?

I know it smooths over a lot of things, but it would be exciting to see a band that talks an anti-corporatization game to find something different.

Or even just a smaller label that isn't as publicly known to be so aggressive towards things like simple YouTube videos, for one example.

Both videos, imo, just look really bad in a constellation of other things that have been rather disparaging to fans.

Because that's the business. It's a shit business. Matt has repeatedly said he wants to find alternate ways of doing things, and keeps selling out for the quick profit, to a company that does very little in the way of promotion, and is actually rather detrimental to the fans.

Same with the increasing amount of "this is only on Apple, you need a certain cable company to watch this, this one's on Deezer which isn't even widely available, the 4k of the video isn't released and is only for promotion, we sold 500 tickets to a show because we sold it to Guitar Center" crap.

Again… Why are you blaming Matt if the label is crap? And honestly I'm not convinced it is. Muse have a lot of creative freedom - obviously - to do what they want. They promotion hasn't been as good because people haven't liked the songs as much, or they lack commercial appeal.

Couldn't you make the argument that part of what the label is supposed to do with promotion is to give the material appeal and exposure, though?

I see the Warner resigning similarly to how I see Matt selling material out to other companies for promotion, too. Although yes, the latter are worse.

tbf, I do also blame the band for a lot of the other cash grab bs like VIP, etc.

I don't believe for a second that they're not aware of decisions like that, and have no say in them.

It's particularly jarring from a band that proclaims to be against stuff like that, so they bring it on themselves, really.

I admit to being really biased against Warner after all the YT persecution; being a US Muse fan living vicariously through fan videos is pretty much the best it gets.

Maybe they could direct some of that effort into assisting the bands that pay them, instead of just collecting royalties.

You can't expect Muse to release the Zepp show.

They forgot to play Madness.

:LOL:

That would only make it not viable in the US, though, and we all know they don't care about that.

I've been over the Zepp for a long time now; we got Futurism, I don't need to see a pro-shot of Matt's giblets in tights, and I've moved on to wanting the pro-shots of cool Psycho Tour stuff I haven't seen like MM. Even if it's black and white.

And if you don't believe Warner is at it again, even the load in video I shared earlier has been deleted. :noey:

Just in time for all the good shit to get played when the tour starts up again that we'll not get to see.

Not by me. I agree with you.

But Origin is damn close second.

Phew! Thanks. I was a little concerned for a sec. :unsure:

But yeah, I'm with you. OOS is almost tied. I mostly just prefer Absolution because I felt that the instrumentation was more complex, the production was much better, and Bellamy's lyrics seemed less juvenile. And honestly, I would love to hear them play some of the rarer songs from Absolution--e.g. "The Small Print," "Butterflies and Hurricanes," "Blackout" (but only with Matt on guitar), or "Ruled by Secrecy." Not to say that I didn't scream my lungs out when they played "Citizen Erased," though.

Couldn't you make the argument that part of what the label is supposed to do with promotion is to give the material appeal and exposure, though?

I see the Warner resigning similarly to how I see Matt selling material out to other companies for promotion, too. Although yes, the latter are worse.

tbf, I do also blame the band for a lot of the other cash grab bs like VIP, etc.

I don't believe for a second that they're not aware of decisions like that, and have no say in them.

It's particularly jarring from a band that proclaims to be against stuff like that, so they bring it on themselves, really.

I admit to being really biased against Warner after all the YT persecution; being a US Muse fan living vicariously through fan videos is pretty much the best it gets.

Maybe they could direct some of that effort into assisting the bands that pay them, instead of just collecting royalties.

The issue is more their management than the band themselves.

Yes the band are to blame for the shoddy setlists, completely. But the management and the contracts that their management get drawn up for them are what dictates pricing, revenue, places to tour, advertisement, merchandise etc etc etc. Artists are given very little freedom or input when it comes to things like that.

Unless you're someone who is an absolute mega star of a household name with some kind of business savvy like say Jared Leto or even Taylor Swift then it is likely your management does all these things for you. And no for all the people who hate him on this board I'm not blowing smoke up Jared's ass I just know for a fact he takes care of a lot of his own business ventures and management. From what I can gather, Muse don't really have huge amounts of business savvy and rely on their management and label to sort out promotion and stuff for them, preferring to focus on the theatrics and the music. Although one could argue predominantly the theatrics these days.