This makes me wonder what Muse's next album will be. Who knows? Maybe they'll go for a more industrial rock sound. That might be interesting... and would allow for a more rock-oriented setlist.

Eh, wishful thinking.

They considered Drones to be their return to straight-forward, stripped-down rock after all the pop and orchestral experimentation of the last couple albums. Unfortunately, the tour has leaned more toward the pop side of things.

Who knows where they'll go next? I tend to believe it will be away from a rocking sound because they feel that they've just done that.

The point is that when they constantly fill pretty much all the venues here,and the capacity is 30-40-50k you would understand that this is not just a disagreement but how they could actually see it.

If a band is so far up their own asses that 10k people a gig isn't good enough for them, imo they don't deserve what they have, or to take those profits.

There are plenty of artists out there playing to a few thousand, to a few hundred, a gig, who still put their all into it.

I mostly agree in the context,but I think you miss some key points.They are not a new band,their potential and recognition is not for 10k but for more.It's not the same when 90% of your concerts are sold out in the best venues,and then the other 10% is not filling up.Is just request and demand.10-15 years ago they would be ecstatic playing for 10k of people (see Hullabaloo, I don't know precisely but there's not 30k of people), but not now when they fill all the other ones.The best thing they could do is playing smaller venues in the US,cause this is their dynamic and they wouldn't be upset of people who don't care/pay attention/sing along.On the other hand we should consider their side,which would be that they must be unwilling to downgrade this much since they're on top in Europe and there are financial aspects also to consider.

I mostly agree in the context,but I think you miss some key points.They are not a new band,their potential and recognition is not for 10k but for more.It's not the same when 90% of your concerts are sold out in the best venues,and then the other 10% is not filling up.Is just request and demand.10-15 years ago they would be ecstatic playing for 10k of people (see Hullabaloo, I don't know precisely but there's not 30k of people), but not now when they fill all the other ones.The best thing they could do is playing smaller venues in the US,cause this is their dynamic and they wouldn't be upset of people who don't care/pay attention/sing along.On the other hand we should consider their side,which would be that they must be unwilling to downgrade this much since they're on top in Europe and there are financial aspects also to consider.
Their side of this is that they choose which venues to play, and play to the people who have paid to see them. The number of people who come to see them really shouldn't matter unless it's like 2 people.

When 10k people come to see you, you don't get to use the excuse that you're used to bigger crowds.

Technically speaking 10k to 50k is 500% up,so it might be an excuse,plus from what I've read on this forum,people in US gigs weren't much responsive. I am not saying I agree with this view, I say I would get it and if I were in the US,that kind of behavior (If I were not a big fan of theirs) would make me not to attend and pay for another gig.Show doesn't live up my expectations means I won't pay to see it again.

If they're not "feeling the love" from the hardcore fans that drive 5-10 hours from show to show (longer and further than mostly anyone outside of the US doing the same thing), that's their problem. I don't care how shit the crowds are, they always have the people who waited 15-20 hours to be on that barrier.

They have the ability to play longer, heavier sets, they have the ability to risk alienating the casuals and take the band in a new direction (which I don't think would go all that poorly to be honest). Generally speaking, they're already playing 5,000-10,000 and if those numbers fall any further, back to the large theaters.

Technically speaking 10k to 50k is 500% up,so it might be an excuse,plus from what I've read on this forum,people in US gigs weren't much responsive. I am not saying I agree with this view, I say I would get it and if I were in the US,that kind of behavior (If I were not a big fan of theirs) would make me not to attend and pay for another gig.Show doesn't live up my expectations means I won't pay to see it again.
If a band feels like 10k isn't enough for them to bring their A-game, they're delusional and have lost touch with reality, and deserve no defence whatsoever.

Yes, the audiences were a problem, but Muse are still getting paid, and selling pretty much what I think they expected. If an audience isn't convinced by their greatness, they should prove them wrong. That's what they did in 2004. If they're too lazy/uninspired to do it again, maybe the audience isn't the problem.

If a band feels like 10k isn't enough for them to bring their A-game, they're delusional and have lost touch with reality, and deserve no defence whatsoever.

Yes, the audiences were a problem, but Muse are still getting paid, and selling pretty much what I think they expected. If an audience isn't convinced by their greatness, they should prove them wrong. That's what they did in 2004. If they're too lazy/uninspired to do it again, maybe the audience isn't the problem.

That's what I don't get, they got to where they are now by playing music that blew people away. Now that they're doing the whole arena thing, it feels like the only times they put in a real effort to blow a crowd away with the music is a gig like Download.

It's really quite ridiculous that they'll play that kind of gig to a crowd which got press for not wanting them there, meanwhile I'd get accused of being on some serious drugs for expecting that sort of thing at their own shows.

I asked a couple of friends from my hometown what they thought of the show and all they could talk about was the stage design (which really is quite spectacular). Nothing was said about the music. One of my friends compared it to a Vegas show, and I'll leave it at that. Ten years ago, it would have been the opposite. If I had to choose, I'd take the music over the visuals, but why can't there be both?

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

It's not being contrarian to say that the vast majority of North Americans have no idea who Muse are. It's really just a fact.

Taylor Swift and One Direction sell out massive stadiums over here and Muse can't fill arenas. Sad but true.

Which isn't to justify another fact that Muse short changes the American fans who do pay to see them every tour.

What a shame..it hurts me seeing that video. The problem is that now they are performing a show and the concept of it,they think that it can't be delivered with the "hard" music we all like. Just imagine this 17 songs setlist being played on this arena tour

Psycho

Handler

Dead Star

Citizen Erased

TIRO

Dead inside

Knights

New Born

Apocalypse Please

Starlight

Mercy

Hysteria

MotP

Plug in Baby

Showbiz

Bliss

Reapers

Would anyone give a shit if they played only 17 songs?

Well as I said before I can understand this thinking although I don't agree.All I've added is with the thoughts of Alexander DeLarge, if they want the same crowd as Europe,just play the same way and the crowd will get going.

After all, the best way someone to find out about you is always the gigs,not the airplay or the sellings