People get super hyperbolic and throw out THEY'RE NOT GOING TO PLAY EIGHT RARITIES BECAUSE IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!111

We're really talking about one or two "non hit" hardcore fan favs. Like, literally stuff they were playing at festivals. For crowds they knew weren't all there to see them.

We're talking about not taking those songs out of the sets to be replaced with more Drones songs, because arena gigs should be significantly longer than festivals.

Fuck, we're talking about Reapers. A brand new song. :chuckle:

It feels like they're trying to find that sweet spot of songs that the whole larger crowd knows here in the US, and honestly... if people can't be bothered to listen to the new album, let alone the back catalogue... they need to tailor the ENTIRE set to them? Sure, play all the hits, play some new stuff. But why limit it to JUST that, when they didn't give a fuck about all that during festivals?

And, exactly, is someone's night going to be ruined because they have to sit through a back catalogue song or two they haven't listened to?

They got SMBH, Madness and Starlight. Hearing Reapers and Dead Star won't be the end of their world. Then you're making everyone happy. I am bored through Madness, and they're bored through Assassin, or something. Even Steven.

It's. So. Easy. :twitchy:

Can anyone help me with the information for the preformance. I want ot buy a ticket and I loe their music, I jsut havent listened to Drones as much as their old albums. What songs will they be playing, only songs from drones or also like madness and uprising and undisclosed desires and all that

It feels like they're trying to find that sweet spot of songs that the whole larger crowd knows here in the US, and honestly... if people can't be bothered to listen to the new album, let alone the back catalogue... they need to tailor the ENTIRE set to them? Sure, play all the hits, play some new stuff. But why limit it to JUST that, when they didn't give a fuck about all that during festivals?

Exactly this. If they play Dead Inside, Psycho, Mercy, Reapers, The Handler, Revolt and The Globalist every night then that's 7 from Drones. Rotate Undisclosed Desires and Starlight, rotate Hysteria and Time Is Running Out and add in Supermassive Black Hole, Plug In Baby, Uprising, Madness, Knights of Cydonia to fill out the "hits" part of the setlist and play a heavier single like New Born or Stockholm Syndrome and you've got 14 songs. That then leaves more than enough room for 2-3 lesser known songs like Citizen Erased, Bliss, Dead Star, Map of the Problematique, The Groove, Hyper Music etc etc and a piano song like Apocalypse Please or Sunburn and you still have an all crowds friendly setlist. It really isn't hard to do. Going off their current setlist flow you'd get something like this

{Drill Sergeant}

Psycho

Reapers

Map of The Problematique/Citizen Erased/Fury {Fanbase favourite slot}

Dead Inside

The Handler

Plug In Baby/Bliss {Origin Single slot}

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight/Undisclosed Desires {Shit single slot}

Apocalypse Please/Sunburn {Piano 'rarity' slot}

Munich Jam

Madness

Revolt

Time Is Running Out/Hysteria {Abso single slot}

Hyper Music/Dead Star/Micro Cuts/Assassin {Heavy non single slot}

New Born/Stockholm Syndrome {Heavy Single slot}

Uprising

The Globalist

{Drones}

Mercy

Knights of Cydonia

19 songs. A jam. No IS bullshit. 7 Drones songs. At least 12 singles. A couple heavy songs. A couple pop songs. At least 2 rarer songs. Much more pleasing for everyone than Starlight, Madness, Undisclosed Desires and Resistance all in the same damn set.

I mentioned a couple of things that could make setlists solid back in the sexy plane, so I'll bring them up here

- Bring back hysteria/map rotation

- add a rarity slot

- add a piano transition song

- rotate UD/madness

- add an extra song to the piano section

- rotate new born/stockholm.

Achieving a setlist something like:

Drill Sergeant + Psycho

Reapers

Dead Inside

Map/Hysteria

Rarity - (Any of the songs played on the festival run/psycho tour.)

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight

B&H/CE

Apocalypse Please/Sunburn/ Space Dementia

Feeling GoodEurasia

UD/Madness

Revolt

Time is Running Out

Uprising

Stockholm/New Born

The Globalist

Mercy

Knights

There you go, 19 songs all the hits and a fair few rarities to keep the hardcores happy. It's so easy to implement, and leaves a lot of room for rotations.

Muse got big because they played a hell of a set and sounded too big for clubs when they were playing clubs, naturally I would have imagined they'd continue blowing people away, but now it's "alright, we're here, add lasers and strip away what got us here in the first place"

Or maybe what got them there was Twilight in their mind? Who fucking knows, but it was a conscious decision to pander to the pop crowd instead of building up a hardcore fanbase that would be happy hearing one or two singles and going off into B-sides and the "deep cuts" of the last 7 albums, and based on what I saw, it was the wrong bet to place since people were leaving during The Globalist and were half assed clapping to Starlight. I'm not talking a minority, the crowd on the floor was fucking deader than dead. KoC got them going though. That was interesting.

I mentioned a couple of things that could make setlists solid back in the sexy plane, so I'll bring them up here

Easier to just take out Madness/UD/Starlight since they all have better versions present on the set with Mercy and Dead Inside than add two songs, but I like this.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

But that's exactly what happened to Animals. It was a staple at pretty much every gig for the first leg, then started to randomly get dropped once they were in the US. By the end of the tour it only popped up once every few gigs. Don't want that to happen to Reapers.

It was at all the European and Stadium Tours.

Muse have a strange attitude to the US, almost the opposite to Japan

It was at all the European and Stadium Tours.

Muse have a strange attitude to the US, almost the opposite to Japan

It is strange but looking at the crowds reactions and feedback from people on the web it actually does seem like 95% of the crowd are there only for the radio hits, I actually saw a video the other day at one of the gigs were Matt did the usual let the crowd sing the last chorus of plug in baby and barely anyone did :(

I think you have to give what the fans react to, yes pretty much everyone on this forum goes nuts for reapers, assassin, CE and other rarities but what percentage of people like us on this forum make up the crowd in the US? 2% maybe less? Reapers had been getting some pretty flat reactions so I get why they would drop it, who wants to play something as big and energetic as that why the crowd stand there like robots? It would make you feel kind of silly really :rolleyes:

Still a shame for those in the US who like the harder hitting rarer songs...

It is strange but looking at the crowds reactions and feedback from people on the web it actually does seem like 95% of the crowd are there only for the radio hits, I actually saw a video the other day at one of the gigs were Matt did the usual let the crowd sing the last chorus of plug in baby and barely anyone did :(

I think you have to give what the fans react to, yes pretty much everyone on this forum goes nuts for reapers, assassin, CE and other rarities but what percentage of people like us on this forum make up the crowd in the US? 2% maybe less? Reapers had been getting some pretty flat reactions so I get why they would drop it, who wants to play something as big and energetic as that why the crowd stand there like robots? It would make you feel kind of silly really :rolleyes:

Still a shame for those in the US who like the harder hitting rarer songs...

If all bands took that attitude then they'd just be dong 5 song setlists every night. I really don't like it when any service provider panders to the lowest common demoninator. The fact is if you spend £45+ on tickets to a gig having only heard a couple of songs on the radio and going off reputation (and/or to take some selfies to put on facebook to make your friends jealous) then expect to be bored for large periods of the event. If you're in a band and aren't happy at the fans not responding to hits then play the songs you actually like and at least amuse yourselves rather than shortening the set and padding with interludes.

Not actual abominations like Donald Trump being in the lead in the run for President.

That is scary in a serious levels. I don't know if is worse that guy himself or his followers. At least is sure he won't win, even a lot of republicans don't like him.

But that's exactly what happened to Animals. It was a staple at pretty much every gig for the first leg, then started to randomly get dropped once they were in the US. By the end of the tour it only popped up once every few gigs. Don't want that to happen to Reapers.

That's what I'm worried about - Animals was a staple last tour and then suddenly started disappearing. It was the only song from T2L I seriously wanted to see, and by the time I saw them in Montreal it was only popping up every few shows. I figured with back-to-back nights we'd get it, but it didn't show up either night.

Then Matt was asked about it in an interview afterwards and said they "forgot" to play it :rolleyes:

I just want Resistance to fuck off. It's honestly such a boring live song and it brings nothing to the setlists. Like honestly the intro and outro equate to about 2 minutes of nothing what's the point.

EDIT: On the topic of Americans not recognising older/more obscure material - out of all the videos I've seen so far from this tour, Seattle's video of Citizen Erased showed it getting one of the better receptions out of any song at any gig they've played on the American tour so far while UD and Resistance consistently are met with a less than enthusiastic "ooohh" lol muse logic

Yup. Bliss & Knights had easily the best response in Houston.

That is scary in a serious levels. I don't know if is worse that guy himself or his followers. At least is sure he won't win, even a lot of republicans don't like him.

Are we blaming the threat of Facism as the reason for Muse's poor sets, or Muse's poor sets for Trump's continued popularity?

If all bands took that attitude then they'd just be dong 5 song setlists every night. I really don't like it when any service provider panders to the lowest common demoninator. The fact is if you spend £45+ on tickets to a gig having only heard a couple of songs on the radio and going off reputation (and/or to take some selfies to put on facebook to make your friends jealous) then expect to be bored for large periods of the event. If you're in a band and aren't happy at the fans not responding to hits then play the songs you actually like and at least amuse yourselves rather than shortening the set and padding with interludes.

They've added 1-3 songs, right?, from each album since BH&R, that will be in the set until the band ends.

imo, it shouldn't be "what songs do we remove to jam these into the set?" The set should naturally get longer each time, as they play new material and still leave room for some deeper stuff.

But they rolled out the arena tours in the US playing 15/16 songs, and already didn't have room for things. They didn't play too much of TR at the time, and when T2L rolled around and they played a ton of that album, just everything else got swept off.

And yes, absolutely, 100% the band thinks Twilight is the only reason people cared about them in the US. Several of them have talked about it, recently.

So, Twilight and Madness.

And because they don't see much beyond that, that will be the type of crowd they draw in, because honestly, they're not making too much of an effort here, and seem content to rest on the draw of those things.

And album sales here are declining, ticket sales in most areas are declining. It's obviously not enough anymore, really.

I wish they'd just get up there and play one hell of a show without being so concerned about 100% of the crowd knowing every single song, loosen up a bit, and just have a good time. People will respond to that, or they're just there for one song anyways.

Don't take out the big hits, but put in stuff that's fresh, as well, and brings some new energy to the gigs.

Too much going on about the crowd's reaction...

They've added 1-3 songs, right?, from each album since BH&R, that will be in the set until the band ends.

imo, it shouldn't be "what songs do we remove to jam these into the set?" The set should naturally get longer each time, as they play new material and still leave room for some deeper stuff.

But they rolled out the arena tours in the US playing 15/16 songs, and already didn't have room for things. They didn't play too much of TR at the time, and when T2L rolled around and they played a ton of that album, just everything else got swept off.

And yes, absolutely, 100% the band thinks Twilight is the only reason people cared about them in the US. Several of them have talked about it, recently.

So, Twilight and Madness.

And because they don't see much beyond that, that will be the type of crowd they draw in, because honestly, they're not making too much of an effort here, and seem content to rest on the draw of those things.

And album sales here are declining, ticket sales in most areas are declining. It's obviously not enough anymore, really.

I wish they'd just get up there and play one hell of a show without being so concerned about 100% of the crowd knowing every single song, loosen up a bit, and just have a good time. People will respond to that, or they're just there for one song anyways.

Don't take out the big hits, but put in stuff that's fresh, as well, and brings some new energy to the gigs.

Too much going on about the crowd's reaction...

Since playing Arenas in the UK (full songs, not jams/interludes):

Absolution Tour: 17-19 songs per night

BHaR Tour: 17-19 songs per night

TR Tour: 16-18 songs per night

T2L: 20-21 songs per night

It seemed they were getting things right on the last Tour here at least. What they'll do when they return to Europe I don't know.

Yeah, they were already behind when they rolled TR out with 15/16 song sets. By the time T2L came here, they added a couple of songs, but were already removing hits and staples.

Now we're getting the same to less than last tour.

Sure, itll be longer in the UK again, but thats part if what infuriates me so much.

Its their job to improve sales in the US. Why on earth punish the ones who are paying to see you?