Is the trend to fuck over the first night of each area? Is Matt really gauging the crowds to see if they're "worthy" or something... that's all I can think of.

Not only no Defector, but not a single song you couldn't have seen in the US is pretty rough.

And we thought that the festival setlists were bad :stunned:

I don't think there's much "we" to that... Did anyone think that at all, other than the Swedish? (who got a crap gig)

Festival sets were frustrating to many. For one coming from the Psycho Tour it was the first sign that most of those songs were not going to stick around as the fanbase had previously hoped. Then there's the fact that Download and Werchter got exceptional concerts (setlist and performance) and the rest got the standard, kinda saying "we can play these heavy fan pleasing sets that actually show us off as the rock band we advertise ourselves as, but we won't".

They were mostly good setlists, it was just the context.

Is the trend to fuck over the first night of each area? Is Matt really gauging the crowds to see if they're "worthy" or something... that's all I can think of.

Not only no Defector, but not a single song you couldn't have seen in the US is pretty rough.

I think it's just that age-old, classic Muse logic case of "casual/pop fans come the first night, 'real' fans fill up other nights". Really have no idea how they work that out because it's never been remotely true.

Festival sets were frustrating to many. For one coming from the Psycho Tour it was the first sign that most of those songs were not going to stick around as the fanbase had previously hoped. Then there's the fact that Download and Werchter got exceptional concerts (setlist and performance) and the rest got the standard, kinda saying "we can play these heavy fan pleasing sets that actually show us off as the rock band we advertise ourselves as, but we won't".

They were mostly good setlists, it was just the context.

Less rarities and more pop/standard sets should probably be expected though tbf, considering it's the festival tour. Taking that into account, Micro Cuts, New Born, Bliss, AP, CE with stuff like The Groove and Uno sticking around from the Psycho Tour was really impressive imo. Not to mention Stockholm and Reapers as staples, which people now consider themselves lucky to see even one of. Shame it wasn't a sign of things to come.

The occasional inconsistency was the only issue iirc, with some gigs getting loads of rarities and the next getting none for seemingly no reason. Download was really just them trying to prove a point and win over the crowd (even though that's really the kind of set they should be playing in most places if they want to be seen as the 'rawk' band they say they do). Not sure what caused the Werchter set.

Edited by Jobby

I think it's just that age-old, classic Muse logic case of "casual/pop fans come the first night, 'real' fans fill up other nights". Really have no idea how they work that out because it's never been remotely true.

I don't buy it. They know there's a ton of repeat people at all of the gigs, or they wouldn't bother rotating the setlists in the first place.

Not to mention, if nothing else, the "real fans" were rushing to get tickets to the first released gigs anyways.

I don't buy it. They know there's a ton of repeat people at all of the gigs, or they wouldn't bother rotating the setlists in the first place.

Not to mention, if nothing else, the "real fans" were rushing to get tickets to the first released gigs anyways.

This. If anything, I'd argue the later dates should get the generic set treatment, though I'd much rather no one get that.

I've traveled further for the exact same setlist.

Same, although I did LA2 as well (which was the same except for FG+Reapers).

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

I don't see why you wouldn't just go for a decent balance at every gig since, y'know, each crowd is always gonna be made up of both sets of fans. It's super easy to do, like frustratingly so, even with rotation over multiple nights.

Being a Muse fan is depressingly alike to being a broken record :chuckle:

I was fantasizing about heckling at DC if I struggled to get out there and Matt backed out of CE again, or at least walking out and going home. :phu:

I know I'd have just stood there and taken it, though.

I'm not sure what I'll do if I go through with making some sort of Showbiz sign for the barrier and Matt doesn't react well to it or blatantly ignores me. Probably just smile while my soul adopts the fetal position :chuckle:

At the start of the tour, part of me wanted to make a sign about 17 songs being too short but didn't wanna come across as a dick and figured people around me would probs have a go anyway.

This. If anything, I'd argue the later dates should get the generic set treatment, though I'd much rather no one get that.

It's all down to luck really, of course muse could just play consistently good sets instead though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all down to luck really, of course muse could just play consistently good sets instead though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least in Europe the odds are in your favor when you're essentially gambling. I did six shows and generally speaking, I could go to two random shows in Europe and see more variation than I did in my six over here.

It's really disappointing, considering being a European fan is basically easy mode due to cheaper lodging, shorter traveling distances and the availability of cheap and viable public transit/multiple night residencies. Not to mention worker's rights when it comes to vacation and sick days.

I don't see why you wouldn't just go for a decent balance at every gig since, y'know, each crowd is always gonna be made up of both sets of fans. It's super easy to do, like frustratingly so, even with rotation over multiple nights.

Being a Muse fan is depressingly alike to being a broken record :chuckle:

I'm not sure what I'll do if I go through with making some sort of Showbiz sign for the barrier and Matt doesn't react well to it or blatantly ignores me. Probably just smile while my soul adopts the fetal position :chuckle:

At the start of the tour, part of me wanted to make a sign about 17 songs being too short but didn't wanna come across as a dick and figured people around me would probs have a go anyway.

I suppose it's completely possible playing more songs would be too much for what appears to be an already ailing Bellamy.

I really want to say they're lazy fucks who just want to get to the afterparty, but in fairness... they're still out there the full amount of time. You think they'd just cut the shit and do a shorter show.

Maybe the old man really is losing it.

And it could be worse than having your sign ignored; you could be that poor bastard that Matt told would get CE at Barclays. :noey:

Seeing Muse in the US this tour has largely been pretty pointless; even on past tours we knew we were going to get the shaft compared to Europe... but the setlists still typically contained a semi-rare song...

Part of me is evilly happy to keep seeing Europeans complain that the crowds sucked, or see videos of crowds indistinguishable from the US ones, though. :ninja:

Not to mention worker's rights when it comes to vacation and sick days.

I had to tell my work the most convoluted lie to get out of work for three days that I'm continually paranoid I'm going to be found out and called up on it, or like, a picture of me at a gig will surface and I'll lose my job and my health insurance.

Because "I'm so fucking sick I'm almost debilitated, and I want to try and do one thing before I get worse" wasn't good enough... it's not even good enough to miss an hour of work, or use the bathroom on the clock... :noey:

#bitter

Anyways I thought it used to happen when the 2nd night would go on sale first, something that doesn't really happen this time.

ITaking that into account, Micro Cuts, New Born, ... CE with stuff like The Groove and Uno sticking around from the Psycho Tour was really impressive imo.

These were still very sparse. New Born was regular until Download where it was dropped. It's a very loose criteria of "sticking around". It was still a slight preview of the 2010 style selectiveness that's been common now.

There was also the plan to debut The Handler at Download at the expense of the several previous festivals they played while the song was out.

Anyone who goes to a festival for one band is asking for trouble. If you go to see Muse at a festival and expect a 'great set', you're setting yourself up for a fall.

I have no sympathy for those people.

Download and Reading&Leeds were guaranteed for greatness, I figure Glasto 2016 will be a given too, but outside of those gigs, I wouldn't go to a festival just for Muse, especially after LA Rising's "proper metal fest".

I can't really complain about the setlist, from the top of head there isn't really a Muse song that i dislike so much that would make me judge a setlist, yeah I have favourites, but I respect everything the lads have created and I respect what they decide to play live. Come to think of it i don't think there is a Muse track that I really don't like... I really don't get 'Muse fans' complaining about setlists... even if there's a few tracks that you don't like, surely the experience of being among fellow fans and in the presence of Muse themselves should be enough, as well as the amazing shows they put on to begin with... But then this forum seems to be a very negative place as of late.

I think it's just very subjective. For instance, on this board there seems to be a great dislike for a song like The Resistance. But really, last night, it got a great reception so clearly many people do enjoy it a lot.

Same with UD.

That said, I would have liked to hear for instance Map or Defector (everyone has their favorites), but that doesn't mean I don't think they put on a great show, cos they did.

I can't really complain about the setlist, from the top of head there isn't really a Muse song that i dislike so much that would make me judge a setlist, yeah I have favourites, but I respect everything the lads have created and I respect what they decide to play live. Come to think of it i don't think there is a Muse track that I really don't like... I really don't get 'Muse fans' complaining about setlists... even if there's a few tracks that you don't like, surely the experience of being among fellow fans and in the presence of Muse themselves should be enough, as well as the amazing shows they put on to begin with... But then this forum seems to be a very negative place as of late.

You say that but look at the list of your gigs. It's not like you've had anything to complain about. You've been to the pretty much all of the best shows they've played since 2010 (when people generally started taking issues with the sets), not to mention you've gotten significantly longer sets which allow them to play the hits and some of the more obscure material. The shows you've attended literally address every single complaint that we have on here.

In the past five or six shows you've gone to, you've gotten Bliss/Dead Star several times/Hyper Music/The Groove/Fury/Futurism/Assassin/Agitated/Unnatural Selection/New Born/Stockholm consistently/Citizen Erased/Map of the Problematique /B&H/Blackout/Unintended/Animals/Sunburn/Micro Cuts, and that's just off the top of my head.