It rubs me the wrong way when I hear "well, it'll get better outside the US" and the like.

At the end of the day, the crowd here paid their ticket price to see the gig the same as any other country (and before someone says "the US is cheaper" - we don't set ticket prices, the band does; not like we had an option to pay UK prices for UK sets...)

Crowds in the US shouldn't be getting shorter setlists, snarky comments, complained about by band and crew, or the "we'll play that song outside the US" treatment. Or a band that looks like they're bored to be there.

I don't think "unlucky" is the word you're looking for when a band slights its fans in a particular country...

But you said they probably dropped because of the poor reaction from the fans, which would mean they're not enjoying it much. If it's the case, how is that slighting them?

But you said they probably dropped because of the poor reaction from the fans, which would mean they're not enjoying it much. If it's the case, how is that slighting them?

Because Muse has honestly shown a narrow view of what US audiences "enjoy," and how they enjoy themselves. They compare us too much to audiences in other areas, whereas we typically have quieter crowds. We don't mosh and jump around as much as we did a decade ago. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy the band.

Just because someone doesn't immediately recognize Reapers, or any other song, and it doesn't illicit an immediate reaction like Madness or Starlight, doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it.

They possibly don't know the lyrics, or shit, maybe just want to watch and take in an unfamiliar song.

Maybe the band should look at the fact that they've appealed to an older crowd in the US, as well.

Judging us by moshing and screaming doesn't fit the reality, really, and it's something that I feel like Muse has done unfairly.

I think the crowd will react positively to a band that looks like it's enjoying itself playing a good song that they're unfamiliar with. Maybe they turned some new people on to different songs, and have grown their fanbase.

When I hear that the band or their crew has complained about the entire crowd, like in Houston, for example, I think that's just a bit narrowminded and unfair.

Reading the defenses of the setlists has really baffled me... Not that people aren't allowed to have opinions, but in a "what IS Muse's logic, here?"

So, eliminating "they had to remove songs to add more Drones songs, so stuff like MC/MC/Agitated/CE/DS/SS have to go (or be a more rare rotation, in the case of CE,) because that implies it's okay to keep the sets nearly the length of the festivals (and thus the "replacement" justification,) and I think that's just not aright... :chuckle:

The biggest argument is obviously "they're catering to a crowd of 10,000 people, so you're going to get the hits, and the softer stuff."

OK, I get that.

But who then were they catering to on the festivals...?

Festivals, I always though, were geared towards drawing in new fans who happened to see your band while being at the festival for a different one.

But, that implies they played stuff they thought would appeal to people who had never heard them... but that same doesn't hold true to their own fans and gigs.

Conclusion; there's just no rational reason for anything. :twitchy:

Was it just dropped or was it replaced? Surely if it's just dropped then it'll be temporarily because of technical errors (are there flying drones in that song? I wouldn't doubt them just to drop the whole song because they couldn't get the toys to work).

They did Resistance and Hysteria, instead of just one of the two. The fear being both of those are typically more recognizable to more casual fans, of course. Although, tbf, I'm not sure how much the US recognizes Hysteria.

tbf, I'm not sure how much the US recognizes Hysteria.

surely enough ppl over here do. though TIRO's music video debuted before hysteria's, i consider the latter's debut on MTV's total request live to be essentially muse's official introduction to america.

of course, muse's first two albums were widely available on napster (which is where i got them way back when), etc., but i recall things taking off quite a bit over here after the hysteria video.

Edited by frutiger75
post originally contained a split infinitive, lol

That's what I don't get, who the fuck were they playing to when they did festivals? Now I'm supposed to accept the fact that festivals got a heavier set with more obscure material because "THEY'RE PLAYING TO 20,000 PEOPLE THEY DON'T NEED TO PANDER TO YOU"?

It amazes me how quickly hardcore fans are willing to throw themselves under the bus in defense of a short, pop-filled set. The very same people who say the same thing in a queue but complain about negativity online.

That's what I don't get, who the fuck were they playing to when they did festivals? Now I'm supposed to accept the fact that festivals got a heavier set with more obscure material because "THEY'RE PLAYING TO 20,000 PEOPLE THEY DON'T NEED TO PANDER TO YOU"?

I'd be more understanding if the festivals were in line with the arena setlists, completely.

But, people who had no idea who Muse even were got rarer songs than their own fans? I just don't... wha... :twitchy:

There's some truth in that last statement, although the people who say it are typically the types that make me want to punch kittens.

But why were they pandering to me at festivals in far away lands, then? :'( Whhyyyyy

I'm really not sure what they try to accomplish in the US. Not a lot of people know them so they play mostly singles because more people might know them, alternated with slower and less rocky songs because... Because why?

Why not just blow everyone away and do what you do best? Is it because Coldplay is more successful here? Is there some cheesiness algorithm to rule the American market?

Why not cater to the people who actually show up and apparently are fans.

I mean, does the casual visitor ask for a refund if they have to listen to MotP instead of, say, Resistance. It's not like they know either of those songs anyway.

Edited by That Little Animal

It baffles me to think this is the same band that played The Groove, Assassin, Apocalypse please, New Born, Bliss, Hyper Music, Animals and Stockholm Syndrome all within two gigs within the US.

The band have just fallen under the impression that just because they're in the US, they have to play lighter stuff or people will be "bored". Can you imagine how many people would be disappointed if they went to their first Muse show and didn't see Starlight or Madness? The problem with Muse is they have so many poppy songs, and they're only getting recognized for them.

Muse need to suck it up, stop being so obsessed with crowd reactions and just play some heavier stuff.

I just want Resistance to fuck off. It's honestly such a boring live song and it brings nothing to the setlists. Like honestly the intro and outro equate to about 2 minutes of nothing what's the point.

EDIT: On the topic of Americans not recognising older/more obscure material - out of all the videos I've seen so far from this tour, Seattle's video of Citizen Erased showed it getting one of the better receptions out of any song at any gig they've played on the American tour so far while UD and Resistance consistently are met with a less than enthusiastic "ooohh" lol muse logic