Can someone confirm for me if the downloadable version is the same the youtube one. The only thing i would change is the military guy speaking in the background. Apart from that the song is fucking awesome.

Yep.

People who complain about the lyrics obviously are not familiar with Matt's previous work. This is exactly the sort of ridiculous bullshit only Muse could get away with, and have been getting away with for years.

Well it was cool when I was 13. Now I have to face that Muse doesn't grow as I do

Can someone confirm for me if the downloadable version is the same the youtube one. The only thing i would change is the military guy speaking in the background. Apart from that the song is fucking awesome.

download is shorter, misses the spoken word beginning

"Progressive rock is a genre that adds elements of jazz, classical and avant-garde forms of music to rock compositions."

or

"...characterized by large-scale compositions on epic themes, in which musicians display instrumental virtuosity."

I'm not going to get into this argument.

Muse, however is generic prog-rock, so disliking this song for it being "generic" means you're probably a tool.

Muse is not generic prog-rock. Generic prog rock would be standard prog rock, ie Pink Floyd. Muse dabble lightly into Prog Rock from time to time, but this is a straight up rock/metal song.

"Your mind is a program, and I'm a virus"

For God's sake Matt couldn't you express your ideas in a more subtle artistic way?

The music is fucking great. For Muse standards - just good.

I actually like that lyric, it's a well used metaphor that conveys the albeit simplistic point very well.

It's offensive for radio because it's criticizing the way the modern military functions, has multiple profanities and "Your ass belongs to me" is the chorus. It's also heavier than pretty much anything on rock radio.

Correct.

RATM are played often on the radio, this is a fucking lullaby.

No one said this song was heavier than RATM, "pretty much anything" didn't mean "literally everything."

Also, because this isn't a single, because it's the helsinki jam, because it is kind of most everything the fans have said they wanted, don't you think this is weird twisted love letter to us? I mean look at the care they took to do this song and put a good video to it, and all for zero guaranteed radio play. It was nice of them to let us know they care.

would love to know which mainstream radio stations are playing killing in the name too. stations specifically tailored for that sort of music? sure. but that's not where muse songs are played and that's not the audience muse has in mind.

Also, because this isn't a single, because it's the helsinki jam, because it is kind of most everything the fans have said they wanted, don't you think this is weird twisted love letter to us? I mean look at the care they took to do this song and put a good video to it, and all for zero guaranteed radio play. It was nice of them to let us know they care.
I think you're mistaken.

This could be twisted in another direction, though. One could argue they're recycling a riff they've used for years because they can't think of anything new. One could also mention the lazy bridge section (if you can call it that) and call it uninspiring. But one isn't saying that. I've used one a lot it feels unnatural...

My conclusion: at least it's good. Who cares.

No one said this song was heavier than RATM, "pretty much anything" didn't mean "literally everything."

No one is talking about the heaviness of the song. One Step Closer and Given Up were all over the radio back in the day and those 2 contain more swears than all Muse songs put together.