It really isn't common knowledge. At least as far as Americans are concerned, they can't even name all 50 states, much less their capitals, much less correctly identify other countries and their locations on maps. Since "i.e." and "e.g." are nuanced on a level of an archaic language and to the point where there are various articles about easily confusing them online, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone knows the difference.
Don't really see the point in comparing geography with language. I know someone who can tell you two thousand years of history for individual countries, but still can't point them out on a map.

Obviously it's very possible that Matt (and a majority of Americans, not that Matt is one) doesn't know the difference, never said otherwise.

If he just wrote the 9am Belfast thing to clarify what a time and a place means he's being really specific for no reason. It's not like people don't understand the meaning of 'a time and a place'.

Unless he's purposely messing with us or just being plain ignorant while trying to be cheeky. The psychopath.

Don't really see the point in comparing geography with language. I know someone who can tell you two thousand years of history for individual countries, but still can't point them out on a map.

Obviously it's very possible that Matt (and a majority of Americans, not that Matt is one) doesn't know the difference, never said otherwise.

I'm just trying to get at whether Matt knows this or not, cause I went 20 years without any clarification really.

I'm just trying to get at whether Matt knows this or not, cause I went 20 years without any clarification really.

Well that's impossible to know, but I think we should at least assume that he knows the meaning of the words he uses. Much more logical than assuming he doesn't.

I know "language evolves" and everything but i.e and e.g both serve very specific and distinct functions and they aren't really interchangeable

i.e is used when there is only one example of what you're referring to "the current British prime minister, I.e David Cameron"

E.g is used to refer to one example of many, "a British person, e.g matt Bellamy"

They actually have pretty much the opposite function to one another so, no, they can't be used interchangeably

There's no way Matt wasn't trying to hint at something happening in Belfast at 9pm on Sunday.

To cite either Tjet or Dee3Dee from a few hundred pages back, there is indeed a thing called "confirmation bias". I hope you're right, but we don't really have too great a track record with this sort of thing here

I know "language evolves" and everything but i.e and e.g both serve very specific and distinct functions and they aren't really interchangeable

i.e is used when there is only one example of what you're referring to "the current British prime minister, I.e David Cameron"

E.g is used to refer to one example of many, "a British person, e.g matt Bellamy"

They actually have pretty much the opposite function to one another so, no, they can't be used interchangeably

Edit: actually "e.g" would have been a great thing for me to put before either of those examples there

You can't deny that removing the context would make it infinitely more difficult to discern the meaning. Like saying "a British prime minister" seems similar to Matt saying "there is a time and place", whereas "the current British prime minister" would line up with a hypothetical tweet from Matt that would read "this is the time and place".

If he just wrote the 9am Belfast thing to clarify what a time and a place means he's being really specific for no reason. It's not like people don't understand the meaning of 'a time and a place'.

Honestly I think that this was just a date given for the making of the song.

Matt Bellamy ‏@MattBellamy 13h13 hours ago

“@nisheFR: Make the most awesome riff ever made. Wait 16 years to make a song with it."there's a time and a place i.e. 9pm, Belfast, Sunday

I just thougt about this. What if he meant in reply to taking 16 years that it only took that one sunday at 9 PM in Belfast to make the song. Or I guess come up with the riff (was that the case in Belfast 16 years ago??)

Honestly I think that this was just a date given for the making of the song.

Matt Bellamy ‏@MattBellamy 13h13 hours ago

“@nisheFR: Make the most awesome riff ever made. Wait 16 years to make a song with it."there's a time and a place i.e. 9pm, Belfast, Sunday

I just thougt about this. What if he meant in reply to taking 16 years that it only took that one sunday at 9 PM in Belfast to make the song. Or I guess come up with the riff (was that the case in Belfast 16 years ago??)

Whuttt.

Also, agree with the 'i.e.' vs 'e.g.' example.

You can't deny that removing the context would make it infinitely more difficult to discern the meaning. Like saying "a British prime minister" seems similar to Matt saying "there is a time and place", whereas "the current British prime minister" would line up with a hypothetical tweet from Matt that would read "this is the time and place".
It's a perfectly correct and logical sentence if you remove the context, yes. But honestly, do you really Think it's a logical reply when we have a context, "Make the most awesome riff ever made. Wait 16 years to make a song with it."?

English Semantics is all we have until Muse get off their arses and announce something

Damn if I still lived over there I'd only be an hour and a half bus away from Belfast if a gig was to happen :indiff:

I'll be at work until after 8pm tonight and fully expect this thread to have exploded with news by then :phu: