You lot, you all as well as myself are idiots. I just reread Matt's tweet and realized he wasn't trying to announce anything... :noey:

He said "there is a place and time i.e. 9 PM, Belfast, Sunday." in response to a Tweet about Psycho taking forever to be written, and come out as a song.

Literally all he is saying is that there is a time and place for things, events, to happen. A common colloquialism. The "i.e. 9 PM, Belfast, Sunday." is 99% likely to be his sarcastic attempt at being funny, especially given the usage of "i.e." showing it as an example, except everyone thought it was an imminent announcement...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I stand by this revelation and will eat my asshole 10 times if I am proven wrong.

This blew my mind. I'm still not ruling out something happening Sunday though.

Got me there. As far as I know, at least in academic contexts, I see the two used interchangeably. I don't know if Matt knows the nuance between the two, and I see his tweet as being more of an attempt at humor than an attempt to say something will happen at that time. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, just rereading it more objectively, it makes sense.

EDIT: I actually am serious lol. I mean considering how many times the fanbase has interpreted things to be something (i.e. Apple event) and nothing happened, I have low expectations for this "theory"

They really aren't used interchangeably. Might just be that you haven't thought about the difference. Or you're reading shitty texts.

Got me there. As far as I know, at least in academic contexts, I see the two used interchangeably. I don't know if Matt knows the nuance between the two, and I see his tweet as being more of an attempt at humor than an attempt to say something will happen at that time. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, just rereading it more objectively, it makes sense.

EDIT: I actually am serious lol. I mean considering how many times the fanbase has interpreted things to be something (i.e. Apple event) and nothing happened, I have low expectations for this "theory"

It's crazy! We are all guessing .. I don't really understand the point of all this hype .. I mean, we're all going to buy the album anyway! The ones that won't aren't even reading this and don't care for the hype.

They really aren't used interchangeably. Might just be that you haven't thought about the difference. Or you're reading shitty texts.

Regardless of grammatical correctness it's still a valid interpretation of what Matt was trying to say. It's a possibility so I'm gonna agree that Sunday isn't a definite thing like we initially assumed.

I haven't really thought about the difference until now, mainly because I never knew there was one. I always took "i.e." as "for example" in context because I only ever saw that used really when in lecture I was given an example illustrating a new concept I learned. I hardly see "e.g." used as much as I see "i.e." Interested to see if Matt knows the difference.

EDIT: Also I don't really think this is a commonly known thing either at least in America, given half of its youth don't know the difference between "you're" and "your". :facepalm:

I haven't really thought about the difference until now, mainly because I never knew there was one. I always took "i.e." as "for example" in context because I only ever saw that used really when in lecture I was given an example illustrating a new concept I learned. I hardly see "e.g." used as much as I see "i.e." Interested to see if Matt knows the difference.

EDIT: Also I don't really think this is a commonly known thing either at least in America, given half of its youth don't know the difference between "you're" and "your". :facepalm:

Hm, i remember learning in school i.e. Means "for example" ...but my brain might be wrong

or do you mean "e.g. Apple event"? ;) ha

You have a valid point though, he could have mistaken e.g. for i.e. Though let's hope he knows the difference and it means something/anything

or do you mean "e.g. Apple event"? ;) ha

You have a valid point though, he could have mistaken e.g. for i.e. Though let's hope he knows the difference and it means something/anything

Wish I could say I was being clever here but it's literally instinctive for me to put "i.e." lol. Whoops. But yeah, I'm all for Matt being a million times cleverer than I! Let's hope it is a gig.

Sometimes they are.

Or you're reading shitty texts.

Exactly, and since barely anyone can tell if you're using them wrong, it's an easy thing to overlook. People might use them correctly and it's still possible to think that they're used for the same thing.

Exactly, and since barely anyone can tell if you're using them wrong, it's an easy thing to overlook. People might use them correctly and it's still possible to think that they're used for the same thing.

It really isn't common knowledge. At least as far as Americans are concerned, they can't even name all 50 states, much less their capitals, much less correctly identify other countries and their locations on maps. Since "i.e." and "e.g." are nuanced on a level of an archaic language and to the point where there are various articles about easily confusing them online, I don't think it's fair to assume everyone knows the difference.

If he just wrote the 9am Belfast thing to clarify what a time and a place means he's being really specific for no reason. It's not like people don't understand the meaning of 'a time and a place'.

It's Matt though. I got a strong vibe of him making a joke about an arbitrary time/date/place to poke fun at the account that mentioned Psycho's having taken forever to become a song, because he was saying there's a time and place for everything to happen. I posted this a few pages back.