2013.04.16 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, US

james90

I'm convinced this is one of the reasons they don't really play their old stuff anymore (among many other reasons of course). If you look at videos from shows in Europe EVERYONE is jumping/dancing/screaming, even the part of the pit that is so far back it's not illuminated by the stage lights. I don't think it's lack of appreciation on the part of American fans, a lot of people are more concerned with taking the perfect video or picture rather than rocking out and maybe that's just the way they like to enjoy the show - I wish it wasn't this way, it's amazing to get crazy with other fans! That's one of the joys of having seen multiple Muse concerts, after the first 1 or 2 you're not as concerned with remembering thru film as with just enjoying yourself.

My sister and I were in section 108 (and thankfully there weren't many people around us) because we rocked out the.entire.time. My calves are still epically sore from it. Also, my friend and I snuck into the VIP area at Voodoo Experience in 2010 and I'll never forget at the end of the show (and some rather crazy jumping and dancing around) some people came up to us and said "you're energy for this band is inspiring." That's a moment that will live on in my memory forever and made us proud to be Musers!

im slightly confused cause i think you got away from your point a little. so youre saying that you think muse doesnt play their old stuff anymore because its more "rock out" type music and that isnt how fans enjoy their music as much anymore?

i think im ok with that. i was more so looking for a reason/excuse for the lethargy. the BLAH attitude of everyone around us ALMOST ruined it for me!

yeah its not the worst thing. to me people can rock out as hard as they want as long as theyre not deliberately injuring those who dont wanna be included. but definitely never let anyone around drag you down!

im slightly confused cause i think you got away from your point a little. so youre saying that you think muse doesnt play their old stuff anymore because its more "rock out" type music and that isnt how fans enjoy their music as much anymore?

Yes that's essentially what I was trying to arrive at! :D It's definitely by no means the main reason they don't play their old stuff, but I think it could be a contributing factor. Obviously bands that are trying to push their newest albums aren't going to focus on the old music, but I can only imagine playing something like CE to a dead crowd would be about the worst thing

i would never. ive been to plenty of those shows. im the first one to pick ur butt up off the ground, as opposed to trying to hurt someone.

i have to agree i think that media/hand held devices/pics/vids are a contributing factor. everyone is focused on getting the perfect shot. i fail to understand why, as i dont take any pics/vids, and im able to see great stuff anytime i want on youtube. way better than anything id ever be able to record lol. put the camera down and live in the moment!

this must have been posted already but what time did Muse start playing?

also, any word on whether Biffy will open for them tomorrow? They have cancelled their upcoming shows due to the vocalist's illness

Someone posted in another thread the opener ar Izod Center will be Dead Sara

I'm convinced this is one of the reasons they don't really play their old stuff anymore (among many other reasons of course). If you look at videos from shows in Europe EVERYONE is jumping/dancing/screaming, even the part of the pit that is so far back it's not illuminated by the stage lights. I don't think it's lack of appreciation on the part of American fans, a lot of people are more concerned with taking the perfect video or picture rather than rocking out and maybe that's just the way they like to enjoy the show - I wish it wasn't this way, it's amazing to get crazy with other fans! That's one of the joys of having seen multiple Muse concerts, after the first 1 or 2 you're not as concerned with remembering thru film as with just enjoying yourself.

My sister and I were in section 108 (and thankfully there weren't many people around us) because we rocked out the.entire.time. My calves are still epically sore from it. Also, my friend and I snuck into the VIP area at Voodoo Experience in 2010 and I'll never forget at the end of the show (and some rather crazy jumping and dancing around) some people came up to us and said "you're energy for this band is inspiring." That's a moment that will live on in my memory forever and made us proud to be Musers!

I don't disagree that Muse fans in the US don't rock out enough (they are definitely better than Muse in LA 06 though) but I think it's the fact that its Muse. Dont get me wrong, i definitely rock out and get pissed off when other people stare at me like i'm a crazy person for being excited that the band ive waited 12 hours + in line for is on stage, but LA rising showed me that fans go crazy for RATM (probably as crazy as Europeans) so I'm thinking its just Muse fans in the US aren't as passionate about the band as fans are in other countries.

I see what people are saying about the lack of enthusiasm among the US fans, and I agree that that probably contributes to the lack of rarities -- Unless it's one of their bigger hits, much of the crowd will not rock out or sing along & get excited. I do think that it's partially because they simply aren't as popular in this country, and therefore there are less "diehard" fans who are familiar with their older songs. (Similar to what MuseGal was saying). Still, I hope that they continue to bust out a few rarities every so often to cater to some of the diehards, and hopefully win over a few other fans with an awesome song they've never heard before!

If you listen closely to videos or the bootleg of Dead Star that was posted, on Night 2 when it landed on green, Matt came up to the front and asked us "What do you wanna hear?" (Knowing exactly what we would say... We all had signs asking for Dead Star the night before) and when we all shouted Dead Star he said "Dead Star? But no one else knows it apart from you!" (Then played it anyway :LOL:).

And while it's pretty great that he played it just for us, I think it's kind of sad that there's that "Barely anyone knows this song, so why should we play it?" way of thinking. Because #1, I bet more fans know it than they think, and #2, Not every fan is gonna know every song (unless you're a crazy person like some of us :p ), but a live show can be a great chance to introduce fans to new songs!

My fingers are crossed that DS or other "oldies" will slowly continue making appearances on the setlists (hopefully without us having to beg with signs every time we want something special :p )

Haha I have a ridiculously good memory for faces, I remember you! and I thought about buying a ticket for friday but then I will be broke and stranded as well :LOL: I don't think i'll see a better setlist than yesterday's anyway, so i'll just be happy with those memories. Good luck and have fun if you go on friday!

Thanks! I'm attending Friday's gig so I know it'll be a good one. Although I doubt it will top Tuesday's Setlist.

Whole gig on soundcloud to enjoy til I upload the FLACs

Thanks for that!

A bit late posting about it, but this was easily the best gig I've been to (not that I've been to many!) Once half the gig was over, I wasn't expecting dead star AT ALL. Nearly lost it once he went up asking what they wanted to hear. (couldn't see the green part of the roulette from where I was - I thought it was stockholm syndrome as he came out with the black guitar :facepalm: )

sunburn was a nice surprise as well.

Did anyone see Tom Kirk walking around shortly before Biffy started? He was just below where I was sitting (left of the stage) and he then walked up the aisle.... no one noticed

Wanted to say something, but didn't bother :$ He came back about half an hour later wearing a cowboy hat.

Well... I feel so out of place because I don't post as much, but oh well~It was amazing. This was my first gig and I just rocked all the way! My neck hurts so much from all the headbanging ._.' My body as well... The section I was on (208) was nice, I stood with the people in there and jumped like crazy :p I think the people in front of me will say I have terrible singing skills, but I don't care :) Even my sister, who is not a fan, said the show was incredible (maybe she'll enjoy them more with me? I don't know~)

And Dead Star... That was a song I was kind of expecting because I saw some pictures on IG of people with posters saying "Dead Star," but when it happened, I couldn't contain my emotion and screamed so loud.

I don't know why, but I cried during Follow Me. Judge me, I don't careThat song, for reasons I don't really comprehend, gets me all the time; maybe because I needed to hear something similar to that from people? I don't know. I couldn't even sing right because the tears kept coming, it was not funny :c

But besides that, I enjoyed the setlist so much. I wish I could've been in GA, but I guess I would've gotten sick (I can't stand being with too many people, I get pale and start seeing weird.)

When they played Sunburn, my sister looked at me weird. It made me sad that they did not play any more from Showbiz. But Sunburn was amazing.

Since it was my first gig, I really have nothing else to compare it to. Ah, can I go back please? I refuse to believe it is over ;__;

Sorry for my English ~

Ok...I definitely don't understand Muse fans who are sitting calmly in their seats either. I was going absolutely INSANE from start to finish of that concert. I was jumping, singing at the top of my lungs and generally losing my darn mind!!!

I was in section 225, and was the curvy girl with a long braid down her back dancing the whole time. I absolutely cannot help myself!! My section started off lame, with everyone sitting watching the show calmly and I kept looking around going, "this cannot be happening!!" But once Muse played the National Anthem, everyone stood up and stayed on their feet for the most part. There were a small group of guys in my section who were rocking out too, so that was a relief!

But I am starting to think that I might want to abandon my seat tickets, and start doing GA tickets only now. I get seat tickets because I am so short, and I can never see in a pit. But the GA ticket holders were rocking the whole time. I need room to go crazy and dance when Muse is playing. I can hear Muse on my iPod anytime, but its the experience and the feel that makes me come to the concerts. To have the music reach deep down into my chest, and spread into every cell of my body. I need to move and celebrate the experience. Seats are just for the opening act and waiting for Muse to take the stage, then its just about holding my jacket! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL::musesign:

Ok...I definitely don't understand Muse fans who are sitting calmly in their seats either. I was going absolutely INSANE from start to finish of that concert. I was jumping, singing at the top of my lungs and generally losing my darn mind!!!

I was in section 225, and was the curvy girl with a long braid down her back dancing the whole time. I absolutely cannot help myself!! My section started off lame, with everyone sitting watching the show calmly and I kept looking around going, "this cannot be happening!!" But once Muse played the National Anthem, everyone stood up and stayed on their feet for the most part. There were a small group of guys in my section who were rocking out too, so that was a relief!

But I am starting to think that I might want to abandon my seat tickets, and start doing GA tickets only now. I get seat tickets because I am so short, and I can never see in a pit. But the GA ticket holders were rocking the whole time. I need room to go crazy and dance when Muse is playing. I can hear Muse on my iPod anytime, but its the experience and the feel that makes me come to the concerts. To have the music reach deep down into my chest, and spread into every cell of my body. I need to move and celebrate the experience. Seats are just for the opening act and waiting for Muse to take the stage, then its just about holding my jacket! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL::musesign:

We were in the same section. I didn't really pay attention to many people around me though. I was in row 8.

OMG this was the most epic concert ever. We were in section 106 at this concert and danced and jumped around all night, I don't even care if I annoyed anyone, there is NO way anyone could sit through that!!

You guys think people here are boring, NO WAY! We attended a Muse concert in Australia and THAT was full of boring people who sat all night. I was so glad to see heaps of people dancing and jumping around, full of life at MSG. Best night of my life I'd say !!

And best of all, we're off to New Jersey in a few hours to do it all again!!!!!!!!

I know is late but wow thats like the best gig I've ever been to. The setlist was amazing the guys were so energetic like THEY DONT STOP FOR ANYTHING. It was so worth comung all the way from costa rica and watch them after dead star I started to get emotional because I WAS WATCHING MY FAVORITE BAND and it was all surreal, I stull cant believe it happened anyway on Monday I arrived to NY at like 10:39 I had convinced my mom o go to the MSG and wait for them and I was losing my hope abd after 2 hrs of waiting in the cold MATT CAME OUT In a car and said that he was sorry but couldnt stay but he greeted everyone and grbbed everyones hands and he is just the sweetest person ive met abd wow this whole week was amazing I cant believe it happened

• 2 months later...

Archived