That stuff is called perfboard, it's ok but Not that durable. Given the cost of the rest of the amp, it deserves a proper board. I wouldn't want to plug into that thing regardless. What makes people think that they can build stuff when the evidence is to the contrary.?!

That stuff is called perfboard, it's ok but Not that durable. Given the cost of the rest of the amp, it deserves a proper board. I wouldn't want to plug into that thing regardless. What makes people think that they can build stuff when the evidence is to the contrary.?!

The cost? The old tubes probably cost 5x more than the rest of the amp

Don't those three electrolytic caps look a bit small? I wonder if they're the correct voltage rating

Also, that wire wound resistor... I'm not sure of the purpose, but looking at some other 5E3 builds, it's placed a good .5" away from that electrolytic next to it, so I imagine it heats up

Now THAT I could get behind :stongue:

does elliott man do custom orders or do we strictly have to use peter shroud's specs? I am curious if it is possible to get a single pickup tonemeister

Something I've never understood is why more guitarists don't just DI amps. I've been playing bass with about 2 years now and I actually prefer a DI'd situation. I feel like every little bit of my sound is going through and I feel much more confident with my sound. Let nearly every guitarist I see using non-modelling amps (Kemper, Axe-Fx etc) always mic up. It just seems unnecessary to me.

oh :(

also, Jaicen, I guess this is what I get for buying without asking for gut pics

OSzyUDL.jpg

what do you think? I don't know if it even works, but it DEFINITELY needed a new set of tubes, so I don't know if that's why it's currently blowing fuses or not. Someone already worked on it (that screen resistor doesn't match the others and isn't installed through the PCB), but whether or not they did a good job....

I guess my only other option is replacing the PCB completely (doubt I can find a spare though), but I'll see what my tech says first

Yuck. Looks like a hasty repair to a blown grid resistor? Guessing the resistor kept blowing so they replaced it with a higher wattage instead of fixing the root cause. Probably why it keeps blowing fuses.

Yeah. It's the same wattage as the others (5w) but a different size. I don't know the exact reason the original one blew out and took part of the board with it (apparently the older DSLs had issues with the PCBs to begin with) but I'm guessing it's repairable.

BUT

I found what I believe is the correct replacement PCB for this amp, and I'm tempted to go with that instead, since 1) the early PCBs are supposedly lower quality and I wouldn't be surprised if it developed other problems in the future and 2) see the picture above. I won't be able to sleep at night knowing that my amp has something like that inside of it.

Still, it might work fine with a new set of tubes in its current state, but I'm not going to take any chances and I'm going to get it sorted properly.

Something I've never understood is why more guitarists don't just DI amps. I've been playing bass with about 2 years now and I actually prefer a DI'd situation. I feel like every little bit of my sound is going through and I feel much more confident with my sound. Let nearly every guitarist I see using non-modelling amps (Kemper, Axe-Fx etc) always mic up. It just seems unnecessary to me.

not many guitar amps have a DI out with speaker emulation, and those that do are sometimes shite. Micing an amp has worked for the last 60 odd years so...

I don't know if this was the right place to put this but I didn't see an "amp thread" anywhere so yeah

I'm gonna be starting to gig a little more often next year and I really need an amp that'll be good for that and I have quite a big budget as i've saved for one for the last year or so, so i've been looking at a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 head with a cab, BUT I love the clean tones of the Vox AC30, i play a fair bit of muse but I've recently loved the tone achieved by the 1975, not the most massive fan of all their music, but their clean guitar tones are fantastic and I noticed Healy uses a Vox amp, so I was wondering if you guys have any experience with either what would you rate them?

DI'ed anything can be a completely different sound for a start.

If there is no speaker emulation, which tends to be the case with both bass and guitar, distortion can sound quite nasty because the whole frequency range is getting through. So for neither instrument would I prefer DI'ing, in both cases, you'd assume the musician has spent time crafting that sound, so want to represent that as best as possible. If a bassist had a pedal board, would be totally changing their sound FOH (Assuming there is no speaker emulation, but even then, SE doesn't replicate the cabinet being used by the musician).

When using modelling gear, it definitely makes little sense not to DI, but all depends on the setup, oh and then there is feedback.

I'll get to see them in October, I am pretty stoked. Is he using a whammy pedal to achieve that sound or how is that sound produced do you think?

I tried to look and see if he was rocking his foot but couldn't quite tell, I imagine he was, either way, using guitar I'm probably gonna use a whammy.

For the lower notes he plays open strings on the lower two then the 'melody' bit on the 4th string, whatever it's tuned to

oh and the verse, he slides, it's not a pitch shifter..in the verse at least

I'll get to see them in October, I am pretty stoked. Is he using a whammy pedal to achieve that sound or how is that sound produced do you think?

two POG 2s for the octave stuff, but I have no idea how they're set up. His pedalboard was really confusing to look at.

Saw them last weekend, this song looked pretty easy actually, might give it a try later

Are they playing the album in full now?

two POG 2s for the octave stuff, but I have no idea how they're set up. His pedalboard was really confusing to look at.

Are they playing the album in full now?

The POGs are just for pitching it to a guitar sound for the two guitar amps aren't they? TTS definitely has a sort of sweeping pitch shifting sound

Reading/Leeds wasn't quite full album but I think they've pretty much played it in full before. They only left a couple of songs out at Reading

The POGs are just for pitching it to a guitar sound for the two guitar amps aren't they? TTS definitely has a sort of sweeping pitch shifting sound

Reading/Leeds wasn't quite full album but I think they've pretty much played it in full before. They only left a couple of songs out at Reading

Do you mean the harmonizer type effect? That might be the POGs, but he also has a boss HR-2 (but I think that's only used for pitch bending, like that dive bomb in figure it out)

From what I remember, he barely touched any of the pedals besides the two boss line selectors. One is for switching between the guitar or guitar + bass sound, and the other seems to be for kicking on another amp.

Anyone listened to the Royal Blood album? I really need to figure out this track, it is just fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuaH21LAtg

Isn't figure it out another track? :LOL:

I joke of course but the whole album is epic, it's getting some serious playing in my car at the moment. I really need to see them again, I'm still annoyed at our local newspaper for not mentioning them releasing their album yet every time some no mark appears on x factor they go on the front page!

Oh and this guy seems to have nailed there sound!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVCJF_L5zog

It's very impressive if he's constantly tap dancing whilst singing.

Bellamy would get a tech to switch fx, then he'd think ah screw it and get Morgan to play it instead.

Or Chris then he would start playing at the solo again just to remind everyone that he is infact a very good guitarist :LOL:

When I watched them in Brighton a few months back he did do a lot of tap dancing especially when doing solos you could see him switching multiple pedals on and off at a ridiculous pace it was quite a sight actually!

Archived