sidious, did you put some sort of stain on that wood?

Yea I just grabbed some minwax stain or something, I can't recall, was just sitting in the garage so I took use of it. Quick couple coats made a big difference.

Also, with that link you gave, I did mine a bit different bit I prefer it. When I went to Ikea they sold two Gorm boards together for $10, so took them both apart. picked the best 3 pieces of wood for the actual board then used the remaining ones for the assembly. I used one for the back at full size, and I just drilled holes to line up with the provided bolts and attached it to the edge frame pieces. The front one I cut to size to fit flush and also bolted it on.

Hey Davel

Just to keep you busy...

P6dtW9VPfTo

hhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg

Bassists, what gauge strings would you recommend for D standard/Drop C? I'm not sure of the gauge of my current strings, which were perfect tension in E but they feel too floppy in D.

Also, a bit of room to tune down the D string a bit would be nice.

45-105 should be okay for D-standard, depending on what scale bass you are using (assuming 34", lower would be worse). I'm not too sure what gauge should be used for the low C. I guess whacking a 120 or 125 on the low C/D would be the idea but that will probably be quite floppy and not sure how much work would be required regarding the nut and the action.

Buy a 5-string and never look back ;)

45-105 should be okay for D-standard, depending on what scale bass you are using (assuming 34", lower would be worse). I'm not too sure what gauge should be used for the low C. I guess whacking a 120 or 125 on the low C/D would be the idea but that will probably be quite floppy and not sure how much work would be required regarding the nut and the action.

As I turns out I use those for E already so I'd have to b33f up again :LOL: And yeah, it's 34"

How about these?

www.thomann.de/ie/daddario_exl160bt_balanced_tension.htm

I would buy a 5 string but I'm saving up for a macbook for I can't really buy anything big for a few months (although I have enough for a bass whammy AND a stereo jamman:'(). Buying new strings will be the most I can afford.

What do most people use for standard on a 34" scale bass? I've got 50-105 on the JPJ bass (which I use in drop D sometimes). I only really went with those because I thought they were the equivalent of regular slinkies for an electric :facepalm:

I have the hybrid gauge (45-105?) on the short scale gretsch bass, which I keep in drop D. I think this one would benefit from a heavier gauge, but it's already setup for 45-105 and I can't be bothered

I got a new gauge set of strings for one of my guitars the other day and the heaviest string doesn't actually fit through the peg...any way to fix? Aside from a smaller gauge string

The only way to do this is to carefully ream out the peg hole so that it does fit. I would try a small dremel bit on slow speed, carefully run it around the inside of the hole a few times, then try the string again.

If you do this, once it fits be sure to smooth out the edges of the hole, don't want any burs left to cause string breakage!

I got a new gauge set of strings for one of my guitars the other day and the heaviest string doesn't actually fit through the peg...any way to fix? Aside from a smaller gauge string

What gauge? I only ever had this problem with my bass where the 105 (stock low E :confused: ) wouldn't fit. I ended up stripping some windings so it would just start wrapping :facepalm: but usually most fit with a little force

Also, I got a packet of asbestos from my secret admirer :love:

218GRPH.jpg

Archived