Isn't figure it out another track? :LOL:

I joke of course but the whole album is epic, it's getting some serious playing in my car at the moment. I really need to see them again, I'm still annoyed at our local newspaper for not mentioning them releasing their album yet every time some no mark appears on x factor they go on the front page!

Oh and this guy seems to have nailed there sound!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tVCJF_L5zog

Yea I came across these covers yesterday, pretty solid. Can someone with some more pedal knowledge possibly break down what he might be doing on the pedal board to achieve the sounds? I am going to try and replicate in guitar rig tonight, see what I can do, I just don't have any knowledge of some of his pedal board.

Edit: Not enough coffee this morning, he explains it all on the actual video...

The signal splits at the Boss tuner, with the mute cutting out the bass whilst the fake guitar sound passes through the bypass jack into the LS-2, which in turn feeds the POG2 at the top of the board, through a Boss PS-6 (not used in this video), and into an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (which is in the loop of the Boss NS-2). This is the loop for the guitar sound where the output is going straight into Logic Pro with an Orange clean amp emulator put on its channel. My bass sound features another POG2 (which works at the double guitar sound) into the Boss ODB3 (which I realise there isn't a distorted bass sound in the Royal Blood tone but it works for me) and then into the Sansamp Bass Driver DI out into interface. Nothing too crazy (as I don't have all the exact pedals) but this works as a general idea on how to achieve the sound. The bass has a huge impact as well. I'm using a Fender Jazz Deluxe and the tracking for the pedals worked better when in passive mode using the Bridge pickup exclusively. It's also worth noting string gauge plays a part in the sound (particularly for the bends) of which I use a fairly heavy set (45-105s)

Bass guitar/fake guitar signal go straight into Logic Pro 10 (which is where the drums have been sequenced and also a clean orange amp model on the guitar signal) and filming was done with a Zoom 3QHD camcorder (on bass cam) and an iPhone 5 for the pedalboard cam.

from basschat here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223363-royal-blood/page__view__findpost__p__2532550__hl__royal+blood__fromsearch__1

Now to the pedalboard. The chain starts with his Boss tuner> then the PS-6 Harmonist (from the picture looks like its in the s;bend mode which will be how he gets those quick high +1octave sounds for solos ect..)> this then goes into the "palmer triage" which is where the signal splits into three

*1st output- goes to the Boss LS-2 this is the pedal he hits to cut the bass sound probably on A~bypass mode this then goes straight to the bass amp (as far as i know you cant here any gain on the "real" bass sound) the bass amp is an Ampeg 4x12"

*2nd output goes to a POG 2 which will be set for the "fake" guitar sound> this then goes to a Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer, this is used to cut the low ends off and get a mid range sound its not kept on through the show, you can hear it on the breakdown on "Little Monster"- very good for build ups> this then goes into another Boss Harmonist which might be for a 5th or something but I'm guaranteed its to bend to an octave below ( so the "fake" guitar sounds like it is turning into a bass again MADNESS)> this then ends on the Strymon Flint reverb/tremolo this is just used for a bit of texture and feedback>this set up then finally goes to a guitar amp think its a vintage Fender amp.

*3rd output. Finally the last output goes to another POG 2 which will have similar settings to the other one> then goes to a Z.VEX Vextron Mastotron Fuzz probably on the whole gig , his amps probably have high gain settings too for more crunch.

It's worth a try, but the part about A/bypass seems incorrect. If you look at that picture of his LS-2, both LEDs are on, so it's set to the mix function it seems

But then it appears to have been changed since then to include another LS-2. One is definitely to switch the bass sound on and off anyway

Also, just found this interview

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/royal-bloods-mike-kerr-talks-power-duo-rocking-600211

He really doesn't want to give anything away!

I've just found a disused Pacifica in the room I'm staying in here, haha! It's dusty as hell, the fretboard is filthy, and the condition of the thinner strings is atrocious, but still, it's the happiest I've been to see one in years, haha! Even if it's a bit of a mess, I'll have to see it I can at least get my fingers used to playing again - it can't be any worse than the guitar I had in Japan.

I've just found a disused Pacifica in the room I'm staying in here, haha! It's dusty as hell, the fretboard is filthy, and the condition of the thinner strings is atrocious, but still, it's the happiest I've been to see one in years, haha! Even if it's a bit of a mess, I'll have to see it I can at least get my fingers used to playing again - it can't be any worse than the guitar I had in Japan.

Do you have an amp to use it with?

I can't remember your schedule. I have it marked in my calendar that you're returning on the 20th/21st, but are you going somewhere else after France and before returning to the UK?

There is an amp, some kind of Fender thing, but I don't see any cables, and I probably wouldn't use it even if there were, as I'm staying with a family here and wouldn't want to be too much noisy. I tried just playing the guitar acoustically for half an hour or so earlier, and it didn't go too badly, which is promising at least. Yeah, I'm going back to the UK on the night of the 21st now I think, so I'll try and have a mass delivery of pedals and my custom on the 22nd I expect. I'll have to start arranging that soon but I still need to book my flight back first. Not going anywhere else before that, just have 3 and a bit weeks left in France and that's that. I'm worn out, I'll say that much, haha!

There is an amp, some kind of Fender thing, but I don't see any cables, and I probably wouldn't use it even if there were, as I'm staying with a family here and wouldn't want to be too much noisy. I tried just playing the guitar acoustically for half an hour or so earlier, and it didn't go too badly, which is promising at least. Yeah, I'm going back to the UK on the night of the 21st now I think, so I'll try and have a mass delivery of pedals and my custom on the 22nd I expect. I'll have to start arranging that soon but I still need to book my flight back first. Not going anywhere else before that, just have 3 and a bit weeks left in France and that's that. I'm worn out, I'll say that much, haha!

night of the 21st? I need to check my calendar, I thought you said 20th/21st.

Doesn't seem like you're going to take it slowly at all when you return, but then if I was waiting for that long, I guess I wouldn't either!

Have you already decided on the shopping list for your pedals?

long-scroll.jpg

hopefully your certificate won't be that long

Haha, I think it might be longer than that! :LOL:

Yeah, I know my shopping list for my pedals but I need to get my flight back booked first and then go from there, just to be sure I'm covered. I'll start arranging stuff after the weekend maybe. Also, yeah, originally, I wanted to go back on the 20th, but I think my accommodation here lasts until the 21st, so I think I'm expected to still be here.

Sadly, I don't have time to relax upon my return. I know I have to go into uni on the 25th, so... :facepalm:

cool

Hey Jaicen, the PCB just arrived...

GVbucpO.jpg

Looks a bit different and more sturdy than the older one. I'm beyond tempted to install it myself as it's all solderless connectors, but I really shouldn't. I don't even have one of those variable autotransformers (I understand these are used to bring the voltage up slowly, check for shorts, and also for EVH tonezzz)

I did have one for the last reason, but in true EVH fashion, it exploded.

Haha, I think it might be longer than that! :LOL:

Yeah, I know my shopping list for my pedals but I need to get my flight back booked first and then go from there, just to be sure I'm covered. I'll start arranging stuff after the weekend maybe. Also, yeah, originally, I wanted to go back on the 20th, but I think my accommodation here lasts until the 21st, so I think I'm expected to still be here.

Sadly, I don't have time to relax upon my return. I know I have to go into uni on the 25th, so... :facepalm:

You surely can leave earlier? I did as well when I was in England, no problem.

I'm going to see if I can leave on the Saturday, but I need to look at the available flights and prices, as well as the trains to the airport in the first place, which unfortunately limits me a bit as I can't get to the airport in time for the cheaper morning flights. I'll have a look later though. It just depends what's available. I'll be back that weekend one way or another though.

You surely can leave earlier? I did as well when I was in England, no problem.

Do you mean that little paper where you have to say how long you're in the country for? I put 8 days on mine (was supposed to be 7) but I don't think it made a difference.

Also, just got the front panel layout for my bass amp. Not much to see, but I'm excited.

Got my stuff booked to get back now on the night of the 20th anyway. It was a bit expensive, but that always seems to be the way. Will have to check my bank balance once that's all gone through and then get in touch with Mansons and start organising that. I'll order the pedals I want in the last week here I expect. Three weeks to go and I'll be back.

Got my stuff booked to get back now on the night of the 20th anyway. It was a bit expensive, but that always seems to be the way. Will have to check my bank balance once that's all gone through and then get in touch with Mansons and start organising that. I'll order the pedals I want in the last week here I expect. Three weeks to go and I'll be back.

Have you already paid for the guitar? If you don't have enough bank balance to pay for it, they're going to have to sell it to me I guess :ninja:

And yeah, not cheap. I might consider the more affordable options next time - the only issue I had was sitting for seven hours without realizing wifi was available...they did have the sound city movie at least.

Haha, on my flights here, I remembered that the A380s have plugs in the back of the seats so you can use your laptop and stuff. I spent ages at the airport going through my suitcase to find my plug adapter, just in case I needed it. Then I got on the plane and realised I'd left the power supply in my hold luggage, haha! Smooth! To be fair, there was plenty of stuff to watch on there anyway, and when I finished, I had to try and sleep anyway, but yeah - not so clever. I did use my laptop on the way there, but I'd forgotten about that in the 11 months since.

I paid for the guitar ages ago anyway, so yeah, I don't have to worry about that. Delivery should be all paid for too, so I just have to check with them that everything's good to go really. Pretty sure I've got enough to cover all the pedals I want too, but I'll still need to wait until a few days before I go back to order them, to hopefully get delivery on the same day as my guitar.

Haha, on my flights here, I remembered that the A380s have plugs in the back of the seats so you can use your laptop and stuff. I spent ages at the airport going through my suitcase to find my plug adapter, just in case I needed it. Then I got on the plane and realised I'd left the power supply in my hold luggage, haha! Smooth! To be fair, there was plenty of stuff to watch on there anyway, and when I finished, I had to try and sleep anyway, but yeah - not so clever. I did use my laptop on the way there, but I'd forgotten about that in the 11 months since.

I paid for the guitar ages ago anyway, so yeah, I don't have to worry about that. Delivery should be all paid for too, so I just have to check with them that everything's good to go really. Pretty sure I've got enough to cover all the pedals I want too, but I'll still need to wait until a few days before I go back to order them, to hopefully get delivery on the same day as my guitar.

How long was your flight though? I don't quite understand why the one back to the US was two hours longer than the one to the UK... and unfortunately the one back to the US was the one I was awake during.

And that's good.... not like I was trying to buy it out from under you or anything :(

Send me your shopping list. Interested in what you're going to add to your 3rd pedal board

Edit: actually, if it's easier, just post a picture when you have everything setup. I think there's a character limit for each post

Haha, well, you have to factor in the Earth's rotation too. It's about 11 hours to Thailand from the UK, and about 12 hours getting back. Anyway, this time, I had about a 6 hour flight from Japan to Thailand at first, then a week later, around a 6 hour flight to Dubai, and then maybe a 7 hour flight to France? It's about an hour and a half back to the UK I think, though I have trains to get on either side too.

Haha, if there's a character limit on posts, I haven't found it yet, but yeah, I'll just take a picture of everything together when I'm back. I have to check everything's available first, but hopefully I can get it all in my first few days back. Plenty of pictures will follow then. Sticking to two pedalboards though, haha! If anyone wants my Small Stone phaser, Stereo Pulsar tremolo, or any UK power supplies and stuff, they'll be going spare anyway.

Pretty sure it's your standard EHX 9v battery or 9v power supply option, so it's no different to anything else. I'm just offering the power supplies out additionally if anyone wants them because they're just going to waste otherwise - I've got about 7 or 8 of them. If you needed any extra patch cables too, I think I've still got some spares that you sent me before, haha!

Also just realised that my explanation in the last post made no sense, because doesn't the Earth rotate the other way? Must be down to the high altitude wind patterns instead! :LOL:

Pretty sure it's your standard EHX 9v battery or 9v power supply option, so it's no different to anything else. I'm just offering the power supplies out additionally if anyone wants them because they're just going to waste otherwise - I've got about 7 or 8 of them. If you needed any extra patch cables too, I think I've still got some spares that you sent me before, haha!

Also just realised that my explanation in the last post made no sense, because doesn't the Earth rotate the other way? Must be down to the high altitude wind patterns instead! :LOL:

I'm afraid they'll have to go to waste, as I can't use them here. Interested in the tremolo though, and maybe some patch cables, depending on which ones are available.

And I wouldn't know; that's the second time I've been on a plane since I was eight.

Oh and do you HAVE to fly from France to the UK because of the whole accommodation thing? Or could you take that train?

Well, yeah, I know YOU can't use the UK power supplies, I was more just offering them out in general, haha! The tremolo is yours if you want it, and I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of spare patch cables, so just let me know whatever you need. We can sort it all out by PM or email if you like. Small Stone phaser would still be going too, if anyone wants that.

I don't have to fly, but it's the most practical. I could get the train from Paris to London, but would then just have to get another just as expensive train on the other end. If I fly, I can at least get to an airport which is much closer. I'd rather just get home sooner to be honest.

Oh, and...e-mail to Mansons deployed! It begins! :eek:

Archived