Well...It would be nice if you could find out if it's normal or not... :facepalm:

Yeah I know, just because it happened to me doesn't mean it has to happen to you. I'll ask about it tomorrow.

All I did was unplug the GK cable, and POW....probably what Jim feels every time he uses one of his old amps. TONE TO DIE FROM.

I realize the GK cable is powered, but how did that happen? I have no idea what's inside of this magic box, but clearly some electricity travels through it.

This could be an issue for you, as your entire guitar conducts electricity.

Unplugged the cable from the guitar or from the box? The box is passing the power for the in-guitar circuitry from the pedal, through the box, to the guitar, so if you unplugged the cable from it suddenly while in use, that would make sense I guess. I'd have expected it all to be well grounded or whatever though.

Unplugged the cable from the guitar or from the box? The box is passing the power for the in-guitar circuitry from the pedal, through the box, to the guitar, so if you unplugged the cable from it suddenly while in use, that would make sense I guess. I'd have expected it all to be well grounded or whatever though.

It's never happened before though. I've done that several times as my cable (or the jack on the guitar) doesn't always make a good connection, so maybe it was just a fluke.

He says it doesn't require any power, but I don't know if that could mean it's powered by the GK or if he means it doesn't require ANY electricity

It runs off the GK power. So for example, normally you'd have :

Roland Pedal -> Guitar : and the circuit in the guitar is powered by the pedal

Here you've got:

Roland Pedal -> Buffer Box -> Guitar : and the circuit in the guitar AND the buffer box are both powered by the pedal.

At least that's how I understand it. The buffer box is powered by the Roland pedal, and then it should pass the current along to the guitar where the midi circuitry or whatever is also powered by the same. So if you interrupted that while in use, you could get a small shock I guess.

As long as they say that's normal and it's not a faulty one, that's okay. I don't want it ruining anything in my guitar or my GR-55. Was it when you unplugged the cable from the guitar (a bit of a concern) or from the box (not a problem).

It runs off the GK power. So for example, normally you'd have :

Roland Pedal -> Guitar : and the circuit in the guitar is powered by the pedal

Here you've got:

Roland Pedal -> Buffer Box -> Guitar : and the circuit in the guitar AND the buffer box are both powered by the pedal.

At least that's how I understand it. The buffer box is powered by the Roland pedal, and then it should pass the current along to the guitar where the midi circuitry or whatever is also powered by the same. So if you interrupted that while in use, you could get a small shock I guess.

As long as they say that's normal and it's not a faulty one, that's okay. I don't want it ruining anything in my guitar or my GR-55. Was it when you unplugged the cable from the guitar (a bit of a concern) or from the box (not a problem).

Yeah that makes sense, and it was when I unplugged from the guitar. I have a feeling it was related to being plugged into two separate outlets/power strips, but they were both grounded (and are indicating this) so...

Also, I just realized how I barely know any of today's music. I've been given the task of coming up with a playlist for a cover band (sort of), but I don't know what you kids listen to these days.

Might just suggest a cover of GSK or something.

Hmm, okay, well, if you could drop them an email and check it sounds normal to them, I guess. I don't really want to get shocked everytime I plug or unplug my guitar, but if it's just a case of making sure the pedal is off first or whatever, then I can deal with that. Just want to be sure it's not faulty or anything before you send it out. It did the job and worked fine though? Did it make a difference on what you were checking?

Yeah it worked fine. Less jack white glitchiness etc.

Not sure what you mean by the last part (difference on what I was checking). Do you mean the VG-8 compared to the GP-10? the VG-8 is less glitchy to begin with for some reason.

I'll let you know what they say anyway

I just meant that you were checking the glitchiness, haha!

Glad it works anyway - I'm assuming it's all in order, but yeah, may as well ask I guess! :)

I was, but then I got shocked, remember? I hope so, because I don't.

Also, that moment when you come up with a song that 1) doesn't resemble anything else that you're aware of and 2) sounds much better than anything you've previously wrote.

Oh and I think it's normal for the bridge pickup in the GP ultra to sound like this... I don't think it was working 100% at first though. Pickups both measure at around 8.7k, which is much lower than I thought

Also, that moment when you come up with a song that 1) doesn't resemble anything else that you're aware of and 2) sounds much better than anything you've previously wrote.

I had this the other day then I recorded and realised it actually sounded rubbish!

On another note I just bought a slightly rare 1998 les Paul studio for £350 it's in SG red for some reason, maple top gold hardware, dot inlay (yeah I know just a bit different!) needs a lot of of love but best of all its got bare knuckle rebel yells!

I have to admit when I went to pick it up I knew it would be beaten up and that's fine but I didn't expect it to play as well as it did, the action is fantastic and so is the sustain. Now I just need to strip the paint and rip it apart :LOL:

I had this the other day then I recorded and realised it actually sounded rubbish!

On another note I just bought a slightly rare 1998 les Paul studio for £350 it's in SG red for some reason, maple top gold hardware, dot inlay (yeah I know just a bit different!) needs a lot of of love but best of all its got bare knuckle rebel yells!

I have to admit when I went to pick it up I knew it would be beaten up and that's fine but I didn't expect it to play as well as it did, the action is fantastic and so is the sustain. Now I just need to strip the paint and rip it apart :LOL:

Thanks for that :supersad:

And yeah I know which ones you're talking about. gibson was doing some slightly unusual variations of their guitars at that time (and by variations, I don't mean henry j's masterpieces of today)

The late 90's ones are consistently good I've found. I've got one of the DC lites (1999) and have had a few others, and also a standard from the same year with some unusual features. body was solid mahogany. sounded great, but was one of the heaviest guitars I've played

Thanks for that :supersad:

And yeah I know which ones you're talking about. gibson was doing some slightly unusual variations of their guitars at that time (and by variations, I don't mean henry j's masterpieces of today)

The late 90's ones are consistently good I've found. I've got one of the DC lites (1999) and have had a few others, and also a standard from the same year with some unusual features. body was solid mahogany. sounded great, but was one of the heaviest guitars I've played

I didn't mean your playing was bad :D I just have the issue in my head that when I pick up a guitar I believe I'm the greatest player that has ever walked the earth despite the fact I've been playing barely a year!

It's funny you say about the weight I have two les' in my bedroom at the moment :ninja: one is a maple capped Korean epi which I suspect isn't weight relieved and the 98' studio weighs miles more than it :LOL: it is seriously one of the heaviest guitars I have ever played this is probably down to the fact that it is also at the top end of the les Paul thickness scale!!

Anyway it's a nice guitar, still doesn't sound as nice as my SG which I actually suspect is possessed with magic as that thing just sounds massive beyond belief! But I can't wait to strip the studio down and paint it black as it is seriously ugly!!

I didn't mean your playing was bad :D I just have the issue in my head that when I pick up a guitar I believe I'm the greatest player that has ever walked the earth despite the fact I've been playing barely a year!

It's funny you say about the weight I have two les' in my bedroom at the moment :ninja: one is a maple capped Korean epi which I suspect isn't weight relieved and the 98' studio weighs miles more than it :LOL: it is seriously one of the heaviest guitars I have ever played this is probably down to the fact that it is also at the top end of the les Paul thickness scale!!

Anyway it's a nice guitar, still doesn't sound as nice as my SG which I actually suspect is possessed with magic as that thing just sounds massive beyond belief! But I can't wait to strip the studio down and paint it black as it is seriously ugly!!

Oh. I thought you meant it was more that the song ideas sound great when you're playing them, but not when you listen to them after they're recorded.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if the studio isn't weight relieved either. As I said, they were doing some unusual tweaks with the guitars at that time. Does this have grover machine heads? I forgot to mention that the 1999 standard I had featured stock grover tuners, which was a nice change from those green ones. Also, I seem to recall all the hardware being nickel rather than chrome.

What's so ugly about it? besides the bright red finish mixed with gold hardware

Oh. I thought you meant it was more that the song ideas sound great when you're playing them, but not when you listen to them after they're recorded.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if the studio isn't weight relieved either. As I said, they were doing some unusual tweaks with the guitars at that time. Does this have grover machine heads? I forgot to mention that the 1999 standard I had featured stock grover tuners, which was a nice change from those green ones. Also, I seem to recall all the hardware being nickel rather than chrome.

What's so ugly about it? besides the bright red finish mixed with gold hardware

That last line sums it up really... It looks like it was designed by Ronald McDonald.

And it's definitely not weight relived and well done one again, it does indeed have grover tuners!

To me with the discrete dot inlays and gold hardware it is begging to go black with the rear and sides sanded down to and lacquered to reveal just the grain. Should look quite nice then :D

That last line sums it up really... It looks like it was designed by Ronald McDonald.

And it's definitely not weight relived and well done one again, it does indeed have grover tuners!

To me with the discrete dot inlays and gold hardware it is begging to go black with the rear and sides sanded down to and lacquered to reveal just the grain. Should look quite nice then :D

Heh, just because of the gold hardware really. I think this looks alright

https://reverb.com/item/30294-gibson-les-paul-studio-1998-cherry-red-gloss

Same finish, just with chrome hardware. How battered is it overall? I'd be tempted to just swap the hardware out.

Heh, just because of the gold hardware really. I think this looks alright

https://reverb.com/item/30294-gibson-les-paul-studio-1998-cherry-red-gloss

Same finish, just with chrome hardware. How battered is it overall? I'd be tempted to just swap the hardware out.

Yeah that does looks nice actually with classy but the finish is wrecked on mine it's chipped to pieces and has had such little love that it's turned matte!!!

I'm not planning on keeping it anyway, it's going to be done up and sold on (hopefully for profit!). I have a full wood orientated machine shop and spraying both at home and this won't be the first studio I have ripped apart to sell either, so I guess I know what I'm doing :LOL:

To varying degrees yes I have re-painted three guitars before for friends, well I say me mainly my dad as he used to do automotive painting professionally many years ago :D. I have only ever painted one myself and sold it and managed to make a profit, came out quite well actually! I'm trying to find the pictures at the moment but most of these went missing when my hard drive died a couple of years ago so I think they are long gone :(

It's been a few years since I have done a full rebuild as I've been busy building a CNC machine but I'm quite looking forward to this one :)

Archived