Survival Reviews and Articles

chudenk

Not sure if this has been posted but.......

http://www.individual.com/storyrss.php?story=159534430&hash=2565e4c8a3d70441abb5c6a9fa7a5063

I honestly don't see how the writer can say "singer Matthew Bellamy doesn't even sound like he's having any fun" :rolleyes:

What does that even mean?? See what I said earlier in this thread? Music critics usually throw away this nonsense shit to create controversy and make them look so cool and "edgy". But you never see them bashing new "three chords stripped rock n' roll bands" that sound all the same. They always feel the need to talk shit about the big ones because if they like them, those critics wouldn't feel "coo"l enough. It's cool to like weird shit that only they know but to admit they like a MUSE song for the Olympics would be too conventional for them :rolleyes:

To hell with those reviews!

Agree with the comment about people never criticising other bands for sounding the same. I mean I agree it sounds like Queen and the lyrics are cheesy but then I lose count of how many artists I hear that remind me of someone else and write predictable or non sensical lyrics and yet dominate the charts. I think its like someone once said if two people sound alike ones a rip off but if several sound alike its a genre. I do like the song however for all its faults

Not sure if this has been posted but.......

http://www.individual.com/storyrss.php?story=159534430&hash=2565e4c8a3d70441abb5c6a9fa7a5063

I honestly don't see how the writer can say "singer Matthew Bellamy doesn't even sound like he's having any fun" :rolleyes:

I started reading it and then thought "I swear I've seen this already"... I think there's a link on page one.

I suppose you can appreciate it if you don't take it seriously but if you listen to it straight-up then unless you're an athlete who needs some inspirational gubbins then it's harder to appreciate. Though this is from someone who liked USOE on first listen.

What does that even mean?? See what I said earlier in this thread? Music critics usually throw away this nonsense shit to create controversy and make them look so cool and "edgy". But you never see them bashing new "three chords stripped rock n' roll bands" that sound all the same. They always feel the need to talk shit about the big ones because if they like them, those critics wouldn't feel "coo"l enough. It's cool to like weird shit that only they know but to admit they like a MUSE song for the Olympics would be too conventional for them :rolleyes:

To hell with those reviews!

This this this this THIS!!!!!!

Aah, those poor journalists. They need to be cinic, use irony and act as if they don't like anything because otherwise they wouldn't be cool enough.

It's always like that when a band becomes huge

In my personal opinion, if you don't like Survival you probably have horchata in your veins.

That song makes me rise my fist everytime I hear it! I can't wait to hear it live.

Also, someone mentioned the Monty Python side of their music which Muse have talked about sometimes. They say not everyone gets it. And in the interview with Zane Lowe, I think Matt said they couldn't go much farther in terms of craziness and silliness than with this song. They know perfectly what they're doing, on every choir, every lyric, every section and I fucking love it!

That's not entirely fair is it? "If you have criticisms or the song there must be something wrong with you" basically, which is quite a fallacy. You might love it but it's clear that a lot of people have a variety of detractive thoughts and opinions and they're entitled to do so.

I like 99% of the stuff Muse release but the 'they can do no wrong' opinion does annoy me a little.

I agree. How the heck can someone make such an assumption? Knowing Matt, he's probably having the time of his life in this song. There's a respectable way to criticize a song, it doesn't involve making stupid assumptions like these.

I agree. How the heck can someone make such an assumption? Knowing Matt, he's probably having the time of his life in this song. There's a respectable way to criticize a song, it doesn't involve making stupid assumptions like these.

Exactly! He's doing the opposite in my opinion, having a lot of fun with the song. :p I'd say he's enjoying himself more than he did here for example :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAVQqfk6snY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"The good news: given the security for these Olympics and the 'light the fuse' lyrics, if Muse tries to perform it live, they'll be arrested. Hooray!"

LOL. ahem.

I think that's referencing the twitter joke trial (here if you're not familiar).

"The good news: given the security for these Olympics and the 'light the fuse' lyrics, if Muse tries to perform it live, they'll be arrested. Hooray!"

LOL. ahem.

Idiots. Fuses and Muse? It's obviously a reference to pyrotechnics :phu:

That's not entirely fair is it? "If you have criticisms or the song there must be something wrong with you" basically, which is quite a fallacy. You might love it but it's clear that a lot of people have a variety of detractive thoughts and opinions and they're entitled to do so.

I like 99% of the stuff Muse release but the 'they can do no wrong' opinion does annoy me a little.

Are you a journalist?:p

No, seriously, I get your point but it's only that it annoys me a bit how when a band becomes very popular, it's very common to throw shit at them in the press with nonsense comments out of place like that one saying "Matt sings like he's not having any fun" because they say Survival is a pop song and the singer should be happy and smiling:rolleyes:. Yeah, right, a pop song. We're not talking about a 3 minute single here, come on! Comments like that make me think they want to create controversy. You can have legit reasons for not liking a song but in those reviews, my feeling is that they want to impress with their words and with their "sofisticated" way of bashing, instead of being objective. I can't imagine them saying they like the song, even if maybe they do.

It seems that the job of a reviewer is to put a few simple remarks of a song that were written quite soon in the forum thread about Survival into fancy text that requires extensive usage of dictionary from a non-native English speaker, adding close to nothing to those remarks and ignoring some (like that there is possibly Monty Python -y humour in the song).

I can't believe the reviewers seriously complain about the song rather being about winning than about world's youth gathering together in all-happy meeting. Bollocks, you can see in those clips in the video what it's about. Do they really want another cheesy happy tune? Personally I really do like the more brutal take.

The fact is there are bits in the lyrics that do not fit well with the sports event contents. The vengeance obviusly, even more the choir "So I told you" (if that is correctly heard). I tend to agree with Furygirl (posted in the T2L section) that the lyrics are meant to fit also the album theme, not just Olympics. I wonder whether Muse seriously were arrogant enough to think no one would notice? Possibly they thought it doesn't matter whether anyone notices ;) I suppose they would be right in that, since their success so far seems to have been independent of reviews.

I've been listening to the song quite many times over the weekend, and I'm once again changing my mind about it. The choir is much less annoying, actually it becomes strangely fitting if I think of it as a nagging, mocking voice over Matt's determination to win (to ignore it?) I have an image of such cruelly grinning theatre masks appearing in a surreal way blurting "Told you so" again and again ;) Anyway that's another interpretation which I suppose could fit Matt's way to deal with celebrity style publicity, but he definitely did not imply anything like that in the interview so that is just my speculation and probably wrong. I just like the choir more taking it like that.

Btw I feel a bit sorry for reviewers in a way. If one of them, with a very famous, commercially successful band like Muse, writes a positive review, and all other reviews are negative, what else is there left to think that the positive review was ignorant and non-professional?

It seems that the job of a reviewer is to put a few simple remarks of a song that were written quite soon in the forum thread about Survival into fancy text that requires extensive usage of dictionary from a non-native English speaker, adding close to nothing to those remarks and ignoring some (like that there is possibly Monty Python -y humour in the song).

This is exactly what I meant, thank you!

Didn't quite know where to put this. It's from Mitch Ben's twitter account. MB is a comedy bloke who writes damn good funny tunes. Appears on the radio 4 prog the Now Show. Anyway: this is a collection of his tweets about Survival. I think they're pretty spot on, meself :D

(ps they're in reverse order - most recent at the top)

@MitchBenn

@LFBarfe It took me a while to get the hang but now I think they're fucking fabulous. Just how much of a shit they don't give is admirable.

@MitchBenn

If you play Muse's Olympics single backwards you can hear the ghost of Freddie Mercury saying "I say, steady on..."

‏@MitchBenn

FUCK YES RT @enwill: @MitchBenn If Britain actually wins anything here’s hoping they accidentally play it instead of God Save the Queen.

@MitchBenn

HERE IT IS Brace yourselves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66molz

@MitchBenn

@mervynwhite It's brilliant. And ridiculous.

‏@MitchBenn

@lath8ury IT'S FUCKING ACES

@MitchBenn

I mean @jonholmes1 is right, it sounds less like The Official Single Of The Olympics than The Official Single Of The End Of The World...

@MitchBenn

The guitar sounds like Satan's motorbike and the drums are like slamming your head in a fridge! Who produced it, Michael Bay? WAGNER?

@MitchBenn

And it's Muse. MUSE. What was everyone expecting, One Moment In Fucking Time? They can all suck my (and by extension their) balls...

@MitchBenn

I can't believe this got selected by the IOC. Did anyone sign off on it? Or are they still unconscious with blood pissing out their ears?

@MitchBenn

It's like a frenzied threeway between Kashmir, We Are The Champions and Carmina Burana! WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ?!?!

@MitchBenn

Ok so I've now HEARD Muse's Olympics single and you can all piss off cos it's FANTASTIC.

*ends*

BRILLIANT. :LOL:

Archived