Survival Reviews and Articles

chudenk

On there Survival has an average score of 1.86, while NSC has 1.85 :LOL:

It's a shame. Neutron Star Collision has no enjoyment value whatsoever, whereas Survival does, just not necessarily in the way it was intended. Or maybe it was intended that way. :LOL: I don't have a bloody clue anymore.

Yet this isn't written to be a song. Muse's "Survival" is meant to be heard in bits -- the guitars in a moment of English triumph, the orchestra in a host nation's introduction. It's as if Muse wrote a symphony of musical cues and attempted to Frankenstein them together into a song.

Let's just pretend that's true...

Hah, excellent. Seems like a few of the reviews have noted the songs lyrics for being distinctly unolympian.

Does he really think the athletes taking part care more about the Olympic Spirit than they do about winning? I think not.

Imagined meeting at Muse HQ, evening, March 2012. The light of a lava lamp flickers off the brushed-steel surface of a H.R Giger-commissioned conference table:

Matt Bellamy (guitar, vocals): "Alright lads, let's nut out this tune then. The Olympics right: what's it all about?"

*everyone thinks*

Dominic Howard (drums): "Weightlifting."

Matt: "You're dead right Dom, there is weightlifting."

*writes something down*

Christopher Wolstenholme (bass): "Well it's an ancient thing, isn't it? Like the Greeks running around and stuff."

Matt: "Running. Yes, there's lot's of running. I can't think of much in the Olympics where running isn't involved, so good one Chris."

*writes down 'running'*

Chris: "But it was more than that too. It was about winning. Which also makes it a sort of 'race', I guess."

Matt: "Gosh Chris you're on fire today. R-A-C-E. Yes, that's good."

Chris: "And if you won the race, well you're a winner aren't you? And you're showing that off to everyone, like. 'Here it is!' 'I won.' 'Me, I'm the best,' sort of thing."

Matt: "Hmmm. Like when I bounce lasers off my guitar at one of our mind-blowing concerts, perhaps featuring large columns or some sort of space-satellite configuration?"

Chris: "Exactly."

Matt: "Goddamn it Chris, I think you've cracked this code. W-O-N, or W-I-N."

Dom: "Weightlifting".

Matt: "Yeah you said that Dom, very good. So, Chris, you're saying to win, you sort of have to fight for it? That's the feeling I'm feeling here."

Chris: "I'm feeling it too Matt."

Matt:: "Good, great, I'll put that in. Um, it just needs a little more spark, I think. Bigger words, even. I mean, mankind has used the power of the written word since, well, cave drawings, to elicit some sort of emotional response, to evoke implacable sentiments and construct imaginary worlds that can very often mirror our own feelings, teach us all, as a race, more about our individual selves than we could ever hope to unearth alone. Essentially it's the only notch linking us to both the dawning and end of time, while simultaneously allowing us to make sense of the present. Perhaps we can suggest that in our lyrics somehow, these lyrics that will be heard by 4 billion people. Something about that unique life force that we all share."

Chris: "How 'bout: 'Win! Win! Win! Win! YES I'M GOING TO WIN.'"

Matt: "Perfect!"

Dom: "Weightlifting!"

http://www.thevine.com.au/music/news/lyric-watch---muses-olympic-theme-song-survival/

BRILLIANT !:D

Does he really think the athletes taking part care more about the Olympic Spirit than they do about winning? I think not.

Well it's not only that, it's that the lyrics are largely about some kind of fight for survival, and there's nothing about team sports, and nothing about any Olympic events that aren't necessarily about being really fast.

Now I'm really hoping the album blows critics away because this is really embarrassing. :LOL:

You think Muse pay any attention to reviews? When they're this overwhelmingly negative...you would think they would notice.

They shouldn't. Many of these reviews are crap, the song is good.

It kind of makes me sad.... :(

Yeah :supersad:

They shouldn't. Many of these reviews are crap, the song is good.

I agree a lot of the reviews are pretty bad and obviously from people who aren't familiar enough with Muse to know that they shouldn't take the song seriously. However despite the fact that the song has some truly amazing aspects, the silliness of it all is just a bit, well, too over the top at times. And I'm someone who generally likes OTT.

Archived