Survival Reviews and Articles

chudenk

Christ, I'm more than alright with the song being criticised if it's coming from people who'd rather have a Shakira song or the SPICE GIRLS doing the official song!! Eeeks!! In that case, i'd almost say I'll welcome the criticism :LOL:

It's not news the band's sound is not appealing to everyone (they'd have more airplay on radio and be more successful comercially if that weren't the case) and if even among fans this generates division, well, goes without saying that in the press the reaction is worse given Muse aren't pop acts.

They're being catapulted everywhere with this. I'd rather not have my favorite band being slagged by others who probably don't even appreciate them in the first place (lol) but well, better be criticised for being ridiculously OTT (which that's what they are on occasion and when they want to be) and not something else.

It's worth what it's worth. OOS was not exactly a critical success and many fans still consider it the best album of the band.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all that critics and general people don't like it very much. What surprises me alot is all the hate it gets from Musers. It's not like we're not used to this type of ridiculousness in terms of extremely OTT.

I think this is the most OTT song I've heard from them yet. It's so much of everything crammed into 5mins.

I think this is the most OTT song I've heard from them yet. It's so much of everything crammed into 5mins.

Yup, this tops it all but for an Olympics song, this outcome was much better than they making some pop-song just to please the masses as Furygirl mentioned.

Kinda looks like fans are getting used to it rather quickly, though. For example, I was just checking the thread about the song and there seems to be quite a few who hated it at first saying they now are starting to like it.

Considering how many times we'll hear this in the next couple of months, maybe it's best this way :p

Although I will forever be able to say that I loved it from the first listen :phu:

Yeah, people just don't GET Muse. :phu:

This is true though. I mean, there are people who "get" them and hate them anyway, and that's perfectly fine, but I'm always baffled when faced with the claim that Muse take themselves dead seriously, have no sense of humour, etc. I mean, how can you NOT get the obvious humorous aspect in some songs?

So a guy chooses a couple of fan tweets negative in tone (out of hundreds (?) discussing the tracks) to in actuality to convey that he himself didn't like the song, and tries to pass that off as general fan opinion? A-class journalism right there, mate.

EDIT:This was about the Metro article which seems to have disappeared in the thread merge.

This. Love how you basically summed up all my feelings in two lines. Now here's the kicker; does one love OTT or not? I for one prefer OTT when it is intended. Like "Survival". Loving it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18624954

I don't think this has been mentioned on this thread...?

It was posted back on the first page. Anyway, this sums it up nicely IMO:

And lyrics such as, "I won't forgive/Vengeance is mine/And I won't give in because I choose to thrive" seem almost too ridiculous to be delivered in all seriousness. Or are they?

Price suggests it is this ambiguity which, ultimately, makes Survival work.

"I've met Muse a few times and I'm sure in their private moments they are a band with a sense of humour," says Price.

"But they almost dare you to laugh. It wouldn't work if they didn't keep a straight face."

The satirical break-down of the lyics is pretty hilarious.

Is it possible this song WAS written as a bit of a piss-take, or is that just wishful thinking...?

It would also be horrendously inappropriate, I suppose.

Whole thread to long to read right now but do you think that Muse would worry about being horrendously inappropriate?

I don't know what they intended but I think it is possible for those of us who don't put a great deal of importance on the Olympics to love the humour in it. I mean if they did a song that poked fun at the victims of the Syrian regime or something, then that would of course be horrendously inappropriate, but this is a sporting competition. Haven't Muse always liked to introduce a touch of Monty Python? That doesn't meant that there can't be an element of seriousness underneath but in the end it is supposed to be fun.

On page 20 of the UKs largest free newspaper (fourth largest in general)

AwjFCtFCIAA08Js.jpg

Pretty selective reporting. Not the reaction I remember from fans on here at least. If Muse read the comments made immediately after release they are probably still reeling with shock at the positivity. :D

Think I agree with the NME review this time, it's too good for a sporting competition especially as it's by a British band at a competition where everyone born in Britain always loses. In that way it is a bit embarrassing, or probably will be by the end. The satire of the 2012 Olympics could go on forever with this song! Haha!

Pretty selective reporting. Not the reaction I remember from fans on here at least. If Muse read the comments made immediately after release they are probably still reeling with shock at the positivity. :D

Indeed! There were plenty of rave reviews from fans on Twitter, and the best representation of "fan reviews were mixed" is "It's allright"???

And I hope Kirk or someone have at least seen the poll on here which shows about 80% of fans giving it 3,4, or 5 stars. Not bad!

after I seen the full BBC video of the track with the olympics clips, you can see why I was picked and why it works so well. Song has everything, highs and lows and is full of drama.

Also comparing this to waka waka,:noey: (even though I like waka waka :LOL:)

after I seen the full BBC video of the track with the olympics clips, you can see why I was picked and why it works so well. Song has everything, highs and lows and is full of drama.

I think possibly too much drama, but then I haven't seen the BBC video yet.

Having just listened to it again, I find it very difficult to believe that Muse were totally serious. I think there is a giggle in there, not in a vindictive way, but in a fun, laugh at ourselves way. Though a couple of days ago it was the dark part I was noticing more. It definitely contains a variety of moods.

Aah, those poor journalists. They need to be cinic, use irony and act as if they don't like anything because otherwise they wouldn't be cool enough.

It's always like that when a band becomes huge

In my personal opinion, if you don't like Survival you probably have horchata in your veins.

That song makes me rise my fist everytime I hear it! I can't wait to hear it live.

Also, someone mentioned the Monty Python side of their music which Muse have talked about sometimes. They say not everyone gets it. And in the interview with Zane Lowe, I think Matt said they couldn't go much farther in terms of craziness and silliness than with this song. They know perfectly what they're doing, on every choir, every lyric, every section and I fucking love it!

Archived