How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Well knowing Matt I was really surprised with the cheesiness of the lyrics. If the song ends up in T2L then maybe in Survival he isn't singing about the olympics but of our current situation? I wish it is because it makes the lyrics more bearable.

Oh wow. :LOL:

It's so :facepalm: worthy yet I...I kinda like it. If not only for the guitar riffing and Matt's Damn impressive vocals. Not a fan of the first minute and a half, especially the 'ah ah ah ah ah ' part, it sounds like a freaking Glee song! :rolleyes:

I dunno.... It reminds me too much of NSC for me to really like it, but I'm glad to see a return of a more 'rocky' approach.

Well knowing Matt I was really surprised with the cheesiness of the lyrics. If the song ends up in T2L then maybe in Survival he isn't singing about the olympics but of our current situation? I wish it is because it makes the lyrics more bearable.

its unlikely, but if muse put a totally different version of Survival on T2L that would be pretty awesome..

how would you feel if Survival was the opening track on T2L?

its unlikely, but if muse put a totally different version of Survival on T2L that would be pretty awesome..

What do you mean by "totally different"? Lyrics or also music?

how would you feel if Survival was the opening track on T2L?

Good, it could work. Unsustainable (now that it's a whole track along with Supremacy) would be even better, though.

Haven't posted here for a while, but now is as good a time as ever to share my reactions to the song.

I woke up this morning excited for what I assumed would be Unsustainable and some dubby goodness (which I'm weirdly excited for). Twitter then informed me that the song was to be the official Olympic song and was called Survival, and I prepared myself for something ridiculous.

I fucking hated. I absolutely violently hated it to the point where I cracked a shit and wrote off the album, and started thinking how I'd spend the money I'd save not chasing Muse around the country over the next few years.

I was out all day, but when I got home figured I should give it another crack, and still had that lingering feeling that it was god fucking awful. But slowly I started to think that perhaps it was too god fucking awful. The lyrics I write to my 4 chord monstrosities in my bedroom are better than this. And surely this Wiggles rip-off cant be a natural evolution of this band?

About 15 listens later and I actually think I love it. Not because on its own is it a great song, but there is some juxtapositions in this track that save it, and make me very excited for the album. It's not just an Olympic track, when this is sitting alongside 9 other songs on The 2nd Law, it's going to tell a pretty sinister story I reckon. This may not be a complete concept album, but I reckon this is going to make a lot more sense come September.

From a more practical point of view, the vocals are magnificent, and the first climax at "I'm gonna win!" is fucking magnificent. The first falsetto is equally as good. The guitar work is better than anything on TR (except maybe MKU which I love), and the drop A hopefully points to more heavy riffing.

The choir isn't magnificent, but it's good. I just reckon it is a little too loud in the first part, it sort of overshadows Matt for a bit there. If it was a little more in the background it would be bearable.

So yeah, I'm back on board. And I'm also prepared for all of my friends who hate Muse to laugh in my face, but I'm used to that.

Archived