been shopping today. i could have used a couple of grand and a huge truck but alas have neither.

so came away with a big plank of very tiny birdseye maple (the birdseyes are tiny not the wood) for a tenner - enough for two neck at least. a plank of WHITE wenge - enough for three necks (my tools are gonna be buggered!) and some lovely bubinga which shall be made into two two piece tops

heres the white wenge (this is the side, its quarter sawn)

Photo0244.jpg

bubinga mmmm

Photo0240.jpg

Photo0241.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

iv decided im going to make a matching pair of desiree and sakura models with the bubinga. i cant decide whether to use the white wenge or som african paduak for the necks though. hmmmm.

i think both will be the Svelte versions (chambered with f-hole) and have two p90s. i'll have to have a good hard think about which wood combos work best

iv decided im going to make a matching pair of desiree and sakura models with the bubinga. i cant decide whether to use the white wenge or som african paduak for the necks though. hmmmm.

i think both will be the Svelte versions (chambered with f-hole) and have two p90s. i'll have to have a good hard think about which wood combos work best

Sounds really good, you better take plenty of progress pics :D

yesterday i cut out seven ivory 12th fret inlays, so im set for a while.

i cant decide which wood to use for the necks of the bubinga tops. im leaning towards the wenge as a contrast, but then the fretboard will be ebony so that will contrast too. hmmm.

wenge

Photo0280.jpg

padauk

Photo0281.jpg

yeah but........the wenge is perfectly quartersawn and the padauk blank isnt as good a neck blank. it might be better cutting those up for stringers in multipiece necks. and wenge does look amazing when its all polished up. i think im leaning towards the wenge. but i dont know yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool - will send you a PM later about the exact specs. But first, what bridge would you recommend for something like this? standard hardtail?

I'll check out a few others as well, if for some reason the bridge is actually a separate piece from that weird aluminum part.

• 3 weeks later...