Better to sit or stand at a gig?

muse2503

Well, when you approach a queue, seeing all those people in front of you should be a pretty big clue that they were there before you. Sure, once the madness of getting a spot begins, it gets confusing, but I think a person knows if they're being a douche or not by trying to barge their way past others.

Of course they will, just they won't give a shit and carry on.

If stuff like that is going to bother you, why go to gigs with open standing areas in the first place?

Once you're inside the venue, it really doesn't matter if you were first in the queue at 9am or crawling in drunk at 9pm.

Alternatively it'd be better to have some hope for human decency and expect the majority of people no to just force their way past others to the front. I'm pretty sure its the minority that act like twats.

Alternatively it'd be better to have some hope for human decency and expect the majority of people no to just force their way past others to the front. I'm pretty sure its the minority that act like twats.

Of course it is a minority, but to allow them to ruin your fun because you've forgotten there's no rules on where people can stand at gigs, there's nothing to say because someone turned up earlier, they have a right to be somewhere someone who turned up later doesn't, is frankly plain daft.

The way to solve it is seating everywhere, but that doesn't have the "atmosphere". So, a few dicks is a small price.

True, otherwise, you'd get a really marked tall to short/strong to weak/male to female (sorry to stereotype but in general) gradient from front to back. I mean, you get a bit of that, but not completely, so there is some hope.

:yesey: I tend to find that when moving through a crowd, a little bit of manners can go a long way. Although sometimes it doesn't, and people act like you have just shit in your hands and clapped, in which case, I find it's perfectly acceptable to be rude. I remember at the night of the second Wembley I was trying to get a drink for my friend, who had passed out, and despite me attempting to be polite, the crowd wouldn't move, so I just pushed them out the way and got on with it.

On the topic of moving forwards through crowds, there was a gig a while ago where I was dehydrated so needed to go to the back to get some drink and then went back in to the front, so I only walked past the people who were just standing there not doing anything with a fair bit of space between them, because to be fair I want to get in there and move around, not stand around with a drink so I assumed that was fair to do

Once it gets more dense the only way to move forward is if a mosh pit opens up :cool:

Of course it is a minority, but to allow them to ruin your fun because you've forgotten there's no rules on where people can stand at gigs, there's nothing to say because someone turned up earlier, they have a right to be somewhere someone who turned up later doesn't, is frankly plain daft.

The way to solve it is seating everywhere, but that doesn't have the "atmosphere". So, a few dicks is a small price.

I don't let it ruin my fun, because I refuse to let people cut in front of me.

If you mean "legally" they have as much right to be in the front as someone who queued all day, then perhaps. But morally and ethically, no. Do I have the right to cut in front of 10 people ahead of me at the grocery? According to your theory, I guess the answer is yes. But normal, decent people don't do that.

I don't let it ruin my fun, because I refuse to let people cut in front of me.

If you mean "legally" they have as much right to be in the front as someone who queued all day, then perhaps. But morally and ethically, no. Do I have the right to cut in front of 10 people ahead of me at the grocery? According to your theory, I guess the answer is yes. But normal, decent people don't do that.

Depends on the culture for a start.

Different cultures around the world have different attitudes to queuing and it is seen as a very "British" thing. :p

But there's a massive difference between cutting in a queue and pushing in front at a gig. Don't compare the two.

• 2 months later...

I'm really not trying to pointlessly bump an old thread :chuckle: I'm just bored right now and for some reason tonight I was thinking a lot about my 2 experiences seeing Muse and how different they both were, so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents here for anyone wondering about what to pick for future shows :) (Which I realize won't be for a long time, but whatever hahaha)

So here is my review of the two extreme ends of the spectrum... seats vs. barrier :p

The first time I saw Muse back in October (nearly a year ago :eek:) I had seats WAYYY in the back, up in the balcony. This was mainly because my friend and I were super tight on cash, so we opted for the very cheapest tix we could find (plus I knew that she wouldn't want to be standing for the whole show... she can be kind of a stick-in-the-mud :LOL:).

The pros were that the sound was incredible, there wasn't a whole bunch of singing/screaming around us, so we could hear very well, and the towers/screens looked super cool from far away! The cons were that there were no other hardcore Musers around, just me (my friend isn't even one haha), so it felt strange being the only one standing up and dancing for most of the show. Everyone else just sat quietly. It made me feel kind of out of place, and the energy level around me was kind of a buzzkill (especially when they played CE and while I was sobbing and cheering, everyone around me was just sitting there like it was no big deal :LOL:)

And, of course, the guys looked like ants from where I was (See my comparison pics at the end of the post :chuckle:)

But overall, I think seats were a good choice for my first Muse show, because it was very comfortable and the sound quality was excellent (though, in retrospect, I wish we had chosen closer seats!).

The second time I saw them, last month in Chicago, I was at a music festival. I didn't have any choice but to stand, but I chose to go for barrier. Let's just say it was a completely different experience. :LOL: Probably the biggest "pro" was being surrounded by fellow Musers all day. It was just so fun to hang out and talk to everyone, and once the show started, the energy and joy from everyone near me made it a really incredible experience. I never thought anything would be as special as hearing CE for the first time, but when they played it at Lolla, it sure felt more special! Everyone else was so excited and amazed and I couldn't help feeling like I was back in NJ hearing it for the first time too! :happy:

Also, despite what others have mentioned, I didn't find the singing around me that distracting (in fact, it added to the experience, in my opinion!) and I was still able to hear Matt perfectly fine. The sound quality wasn't as good as from my seats in NJ, but it was still great!

Cons would be the fact that it got pretty squishy and cramped during certain parts of the show, and having crowd surfers going over your head is extremely uncomfortable. My feet got stepped on a lot and I was nearly kicked in the head by some of the people being pulled over the barrier! :LOL: Standing up for the whole day gets to be pretty painful as well. I was completely exhausted by the time I made it back to the hostel when it was all over!

So basically, physically the barrier experience (or I suppose just standing in general, though I assume it's worse and worse the further front you are) can be uncomfortable and really take a toll on your body. But in terms of atmosphere and over-all experience, I thought it was amazing!

And, of course, the view is pretty darn great. :LOL: If you're like me, and really care about being able to see the guys, barrier is the way to go!

A simple comparison...

2r5vwwm.jpg

10eh1ua.jpg

So there you go :LOL: I realize that was a really long post, but it's late and I can't sleep and have been suffering from horrible Post-Muse syndrome lately, so I've been obsessively re-living my gig experiences :chuckle:

On the topic of moving forwards through crowds,

Yes, on that topic...

A tip:

I was at a festival gig and I made a little sign that said "Pee break - I'll be back" and I showed it to everyone on my way out and asked them to remember me. It worked! I got high-fives on the way back in and no one gave me a problem.

Yes, on that topic...

A tip:

I was at a festival gig and I made a little sign that said "Pee break - I'll be back" and I showed it to everyone on my way out and asked them to remember me. It worked! I got high-fives on the way back in and no one gave me a problem.

..and at Outside Lands the guy next to me almost took a piss right where he was standing :wtf:

Shame kept him from doing it in the end, but still...

..and at Outside Lands the guy next to me almost took a piss right where he was standing :wtf:

Shame kept him from doing it in the end, but still...

I have a friend who went to Bloodstock and while watching a band he suddenly felt someting warm on his leg turned round to find a guy pissing on him and laughing. When caught the guy started running away whilst pissing and laughing.

I've only been to one gig and had sitting, but it is still a great experience if you are close enough. During the arena tours I was on Matt's side on the lower balcony and it was amazing view. It seems, however, that it's not a good idea to go to seating expecting you will get to stand and dance. Chances are you will get yelled at by people behind you -.- at my gig, the whole arena stood up for SMBH and then sat down again afterwards :\ but thankfully for me my bay kept standing after that for the whole gig.

I've only been to one gig and had sitting, but it is still a great experience if you are close enough. During the arena tours I was on Matt's side on the lower balcony and it was amazing view. It seems, however, that it's not a good idea to go to seating expecting you will get to stand and dance. Chances are you will get yelled at by people behind you -.- at my gig, the whole arena stood up for SMBH and then sat down again afterwards :\ but thankfully for me my bay kept standing after that for the whole gig.

This is a primary reason I'm wary of seats at concerts in general. You are perfectly allowed to sit during the show if you feel like it, but there is no rule preventing someone from standing and dancing in their seat, and a lot of people fail to understand that. While I haven't had to deal with it the 2 times I was seated for Muse (one of those was all-seated anyway), I've witnessed U2 and a few other arena/stadium acts in seats where I deal with old crotchety fogies behind me who complain at me about how they can't see because I'm standing. Umm...I'm at a rock concert. STFU. If you want to see, stand up and dance and have some fun for once.

So while I won't queue for GA standing for every arena act in the world, I'll gladly do it for Muse.

Sitting rocks, srsly.

I've been going to gigs since I'm 14 and I've just come to realise that I cannot be fucked with queuing, standing around, getting shoved about by retarded proles and all the general discomfort that comes with standing.

I'll be sitting, when possible, in future.

Yes, on that topic...

A tip:

Haha, clever! Musers can be really nice about saving spots. :)

I've had one sitting and one standing experience. At Staples Center, everyone stood up once Muse came on and stayed standing. Don't dance much myself but I do jump a lot at gigs. I bumped into the woman standing next to me occasionally but luckily she didn't yell at me. I was much closer to the stage than I thought I'd be but I hated that the guys were still so far away. Some people don't really care for a good view at gigs as long as they can dance. But I prefer seeing the band up close. Watching Matt playing Endless Nameless up close was just so cool :happy:

As for my standing experience, I was at the barrier. Barrier experience has been summed up quite well in this thread already. I was at Outside Lands where the pushing was just awful, worse than LA Rising I heard. A girl behind me was on the verge of an asthma attack! :eek: It's an extremely uncomfortable experience for noobs. It was worth it to get that spot right in front of Matt's mic, though. Since no one is in your way, I think barrier is best for shorter people, like me. :D

I know that at some venues where Muse have played there's no standing option and everyone's just sitting, including people in the front row. A front row seat would be perfect for me (granted that I'd be allowed to stand up :D). I can limit my drink/food intake for a day but not for several Muse gigs within a span of a week or something. All in all, it's really personal preference.

standing in the seating area :awesome:

i'm pretty short so standing for me means automatically not being able to see the stage/performers unless i do barrier - which means being pushed and handle the crowds, which i really cant do.

but at the same time, i like to jump and dance, etc. dont know about other places, but at least in portugal i find that seating area doesnt mean you have to SIT the whole time, you can stand and act pretty much the same way you would in standing area. with the bonus of seeing the whole stage and the perfomers pretty well.

so i try to get seating tickets whenever i can :)

Archived