A good first pedal would be digital delay IMO. You can make weird noises, try to play in time with it, and then figure out how to get cool delay tones out of it.

To be fair, you should always get a multi effects pedal as your first. The new Zoom ones are great value for money. Working with a multi teaches you about every kind of effect, their parameters and what they do etc.

A good first pedal would be digital delay IMO. You can make weird noises, try to play in time with it, and then figure out how to get cool delay tones out of it.

To be fair, you should always get a multi effects pedal as your first. The new Zoom ones are great value for money. Working with a multi teaches you about every kind of effect, their parameters and what they do etc.

+1. my zoom g7 IS my tone. i use it for amp models (into the front of a clean, flat-EQed amp or a poweramp) as well as effects, and probably sound better amped than 90% of the other guitarists i know

So what is a good compressor?

fairchild 660/670

urei 1176LN

lol.. :D what... they are good compressors :p

ok, under the mega expensive esoteric compressor threshold, the dbx 266xl compressors are pretty decent.. thing about compressors is the rackmount ones are usually a shite site better than the pedal stompboxes.

if you were looking for a budget rack compressor, the alesis 3630 seems the go-to one. it doesnt put much character on the signal, but it does compress as youd expect, and has a gate :)

yeah perhaps, I was just thinking that I have been using my ct-3 constantly since I got it, though that's also possibly because I just got it.

So what is a good compressor?

look into manley, fairchild, emperial labs etc if you want to know what a good compressor is ;)

comps for guitar i'm not so familiar with as i'd rather use an overdrive to add compression.

I find my power-amp compresses everything rather well!

It's a handy trick to keep delays from muddying up if you're using distortion - you have the repeats very low in the mix so that they stay clean(ish) but the amp brings them up to a similar level as your main sound :happy:

thats why most people use delay in the fx loop ;D

I just received my rode NT1 from Sam - going to record some vocals with it tonight. I might treat you lot to a demo from my new project tomorrow.

The NT1 sounds really fucking good - a very loud mic compared to my other condensors, very sensitive. The mix sounds shit because I got so drunk but I will link to songs on Monday to see what you think of this new band.

The NT1 sounds really fucking good - a very loud mic compared to my other condensors, very sensitive. The mix sounds shit because I got so drunk but I will link to songs on Monday to see what you think of this new band.

Epic! Yeah the mic was a bit sensitive for what I was using it for, probably gonna get another condenser mic as some point though.

Archived