DI will be kinda fizzy wont it? unless it has speaker emulation put on, which i reckon is unlikely

It wasnt really fizzy it sounded like ultra fuzzy sorta uber compressed. I'm gonna get sir1 see if it is any good or just get some good mics :)

But what exactly is sir i wasnt entirely sure and can you link me to download/site?

It wasnt really fizzy it sounded like ultra fuzzy sorta uber compressed. I'm gonna get sir1 see if it is any good or just get some good mics :)

But what exactly is sir i wasnt entirely sure and can you link me to download/site?

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

You'll need to find some decent impulses for it though, I can send you a few if needed though!

yeah the DI is the direct send from the preamp i should think, before it hits the speaker circuits or before the speaker puts any character on it, and as you might know, guitar cabinet speakers arent exactly great 'hi-fi' speakers, they have quite a poor frequency response in some ways, and they tame the fizzy signal down to what you're used to hearing.

impulses explained (probably badly) by me:

a broad bandwidth (not internet hehe) signal is passed through said speaker that you're trying to catch the impulse response of. its basically a short burst of white noise i think. a very tasty and very accurate mic (preferably) captures this impulse response of the system, sometimes people use clean power amplifiers to capture a speakers response, sometimes people will even run an impulse through a whole guitar amp to get its tone.

load up the impulse response in a program that will read them, like SIR, it will apply a deconvolution and hey presto, you have a 'pseudo real' response.. being that it was captured from a real source, but its still being generated by a computer. doesnt just have to be the speaker though, you can use impulse responses to capture the reverb characters of a room or hall etc. theyre a pretty clever breakthrough in signal processing, if you ask me.

i once tried to load up a file that was not a proper impulse response in SIR to see what would happen, it was a really short song (10 seconds or less) it was kinda funny, but shows how it works a bit. you're not meant to do this, but it wont break anything. i used it as an insert on my guitar.

it would be pretty cool for you to try and find an impulse response for your actual guitar amps speaker, thatd be the closest emulation you'll get i reckon. i have high quality impulse responses for quite a lot of rooms.. cathedrals, concert halls, clubs and recording studio rooms.

SIR and impulse response programs make convolutional reverb... the regular digital ones just do normal fake digital reverbs... each one has benifits and drawbacks, for different reasons relating to how they are made, and the fact that the convolutional reverb is modelled on a real room, so in the simplest application, has to obey physics, though im sure you can bend it with SIR and other convolution processors.

if anyones interested, drop me a pm and ill zip them up and SEND. theyre only about 5mb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_response

further reading if you're interested. a module i did last year focused on convolution and a systems impulse response function for a few weeks of lectures, though it was not relating to the use of reverb and sound design, it was to test the accuracy of an electronic communications channel. blah, ill stop rambling now.

The NT1 sounds really fucking good - a very loud mic compared to my other condensors, very sensitive. The mix sounds shit because I got so drunk but I will link to songs on Monday to see what you think of this new band.

Well, we re-recorded everything, so the mix is still rough, and un-mastered obviously.

harbinger.mp3

Have a listen, tell me what you think.

We're working on an EP length demo at the moment. Probably 6 songs. I'm reluctant to show the rest before they're finished, but i'll post you a copy when it's done.

EDIT: I'm playing the drums by the way - hence the shit playing, and the dodgy bass sound, I will sort that.

Epic! Looking forward to hearing the finished product, liked it a lot so far!

Thanks man - any tips RE the sound in general. Obviously it will fatten up when I start to add some multiband compression etc, but the mix?

The band is called "Creep Joint".

I'd personally bring the bass up a bit more and add a tiny bit more bite for it, maybe add some light reverb to the drum sound to give it a bit more presence, but that's it. The guitars sound spot on as do the vocals! Really love it! Listened to it about 5 times already. :$

Lol, fiendish. It's my favorite one as far as drum parts go - they're quite interesting.

I might add a bit of reverb to the drum mix, but there's quite a lot of room noise there already. I'll see if I can get it in without muddying the mix.

Yeh, the bass sound's deffinitely off. I'm going to get him to re-do it.

Lol, fiendish. It's my favorite one as far as drum parts go - they're quite interesting.

I might add a bit of reverb to the drum mix, but there's quite a lot of room noise there already. I'll see if I can get it in without muddying the mix.

Good stuff! :happy:

We're working on an EP length demo at the moment. Probably 6 songs. I'm reluctant to show the rest before they're finished, but i'll post you a copy when it's done.

EDIT: I'm playing the drums by the way - hence the shit playing, and the dodgy bass sound, I will sort that.

Ooh post me one :p I still haven't gotten the other cd yet. My mail has been SOOOO slow lately :mad:

In other news :eek:

fuzzfaktree.png

Brb playing.

i wouldnt add much verb to the drums. id say bring down the vocals a little bit and the guitar quite a lot, maybe also EQ out a little of the lower mids on the guitar to let the bass handle that area a bit easier.

if you have a transient designer like the stillwell audio one, i'd reccomend using that on the drum bus to make it a bit more punchy and snappier, adding more attack. if you dont, eh.. download it, its free.

mix sounds pretty thick so far though, and i really liked the song, just needs more clarity and a bit more separation. i wouldnt slam everything with multibands too hard, else youll lose all the dynamics, and it seems quite a decent level right now with the quieter and harder sections. i liked the guitar tone. yeh, basically i think the drums need to come up.. and id do that by pulling the guitar and vocals down

Archived