i wouldnt add much verb to the drums. id say bring down the vocals a little bit and the guitar quite a lot, maybe also EQ out a little of the lower mids on the guitar to let the bass handle that area a bit easier.

if you have a transient designer like the stillwell audio one, i'd reccomend using that on the drum bus to make it a bit more punchy and snappier, adding more attack. if you dont, eh.. download it, its free.

mix sounds pretty thick so far though, and i really liked the song, just needs more clarity and a bit more separation. i wouldnt slam everything with multibands too hard, else youll lose all the dynamics, and it seems quite a decent level right now with the quieter and harder sections. i liked the guitar tone. yeh, basically i think the drums need to come up.. and id do that by pulling the guitar and vocals down

This.

Drums definitely louder and I'm not sure if it's my speaker layout but the guitar seems to be panned quite far left, with nothing on the right to balance it... If you do add reverb to the drums, do it via a fx track with a compressor after the reverb and have it very low in the mix.

oh furthermore, tom.. if you are interested id be more than happy to give mastering a shot when you're done mixing, as im really liking this.

i just had a quick 30 min go with this version, the file shows the mastering being turned on and off every few bars. when the song starts its turned on, and it triggers itself off after the first line.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05VCHC26

tried to remove some mud and bring out the drums a bit. added quite a bit of highs to accentuate the drums and sweeten a bit. oh btw.. in the quiet bit about halfway through, is there a guitar cable buzzing or something? heheh at about 1:20? its most apparent in the right speaker.

Thanks you two, I was hoping you'd have some tips.

the_man - i've never heard of a "transient designer" - I will google tomorrow, but anything you would like to share on the subject? I deffinitely want the drums in general to have more "punch".

jon - is that panning all the way through? I had better check, but I don't think so. Perhaps the near/far mic positioning is playing with you i.e on the left there is a close mic, and on the right there is a far mic, but they are levelled out pretty accurately and I thought it was giving a fiendish tone.

Part of the reason for the low drum level is my embarassment at the dodgy playing, and also because I always try to keep my instrument, whatever it be, nice and low - i've got really carried away in the past, putting the bass too far up etc, just because i'm the one playing it.

I think I will try an FX send on the drums to a multiband, mix this carefully, bring the low mids in the guitar down, bring the guitar down in bits (other bits I like it loud) and try a limiter on the vocals, because in some places they're quite quiet.

Ta again, I love discussing a mix and getting ideas, it feels like i'm making progress more than sitting infront of the computer with my band mates going "yeh it sounds great".

EDIT:

Ta for the download the_man, i'll give it a listen on the way home from work and report back tomorrow.

a transient designer is a dynamics processor. your controls are usually attack, release and a time setting.

more attack for louder transients.. more release to bring up the tails of transients. its similar to a compressor, but easy to use. a great tool for use on drums, look for a plugin by stillwell audio called transient monster, you can download a trial which is fully functional and wont run out. infact all their plugins are like this, and i strongly reccomend getting them

a transient designer is a dynamics processor. your controls are usually attack, release and a time setting.

more attack for louder transients.. more release to bring up the tails of transients. its similar to a compressor, but easy to use. a great tool for use on drums, look for a plugin by stillwell audio called transient monster, you can download a trial which is fully functional and wont run out.

Nice one! I will do that. I just burned your mp3 so will listen on the way home now, cheer.

Thanks you two, I was hoping you'd have some tips.

the_man - i've never heard of a "transient designer" - I will google tomorrow, but anything you would like to share on the subject? I deffinitely want the drums in general to have more "punch".

jon - is that panning all the way through? I had better check, but I don't think so. Perhaps the near/far mic positioning is playing with you i.e on the left there is a close mic, and on the right there is a far mic, but they are levelled out pretty accurately and I thought it was giving a fiendish tone.

Part of the reason for the low drum level is my embarassment at the dodgy playing, and also because I always try to keep my instrument, whatever it be, nice and low - i've got really carried away in the past, putting the bass too far up etc, just because i'm the one playing it.

I think I will try an FX send on the drums to a multiband, mix this carefully, bring the low mids in the guitar down, bring the guitar down in bits (other bits I like it loud) and try a limiter on the vocals, because in some places they're quite quiet.

Ta again, I love discussing a mix and getting ideas, it feels like i'm making progress more than sitting infront of the computer with my band mates going "yeh it sounds great".

EDIT:

Ta for the download the_man, i'll give it a listen on the way home from work and report back tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, the guitar sounds great but yeah, pretty much the whole way through it's ever so slightly left of centre! This is accentuates/is accentuated by the volume, as loud = perceived as close spatially = directional cues are far more precise...

It sounds obvious but make sure you're mixing with the meters as well as your ears - particularly if the stereo setup isn't great! Also headphones can help, as it's easy to flip them around to get the reverse field :D

If you don't want to change the balance of close/room mics whilst still having some width, you could use an imager to put the close narrow down the middle and the room far out to the sides - we use it quite a bit to fatten up single-guitar stuff!

Don't get me wrong, the guitar sounds great but yeah, pretty much the whole way through it's ever so slightly left of centre! This is accentuates/is accentuated by the volume, as loud = perceived as close spatially = directional cues are far more precise...

It sounds obvious but make sure you're mixing with the meters as well as your ears - particularly if the stereo setup isn't great! Also headphones can help, as it's easy to flip them around to get the reverse field :D

If you don't want to change the balance of close/room mics whilst still having some width, you could use an imager to put the close narrow down the middle and the room far out to the sides - we use it quite a bit to fatten up single-guitar stuff!

I actually noticed last night when I got home, they weren't levelled out at all. Hopefully i've sorted it now.

Your mastering sound good! I would deffnitely send you some raw mixes if you fancy it, when i've finished.

Anyway, inspired by your master I have revised harbinger - let me know what you think and whether or not it's making progress or going backwards!

I actually noticed last night when I got home, they weren't levelled out at all. Hopefully i've sorted it now.

Your mastering sound good! I would deffnitely send you some raw mixes if you fancy it, when i've finished.

Anyway, inspired by your master I have revised harbinger - let me know what you think and whether or not it's making progress or going backwards!

I like this mix a lot but there seems to be an unholy amount of clipping - particularly on the drums!

arrrrgh, damnnit. OK, I will go back over them. I still haven't downloaded a "transient designer" so might get that done tonight and see what I can do with it.

yeh hehe. im not sure because i havent heard the actual original files, but i think your best bet might be to pull in a small bit of attack with transient monster and push up some punchy areas with an EQ like stillwell's 1973.. then pull everything down so that they sit nice with the drums, sounds like here you pulled up, but ran out of room.. the loudness can be added at mastering and it'll actually make it easier too :) without the distortion it is a better mix i think, but yeh it makes it a bit hard to listen to

I'm careful to make sure nothing actually in the red in Cubase. I think a lot of it is the plug-ins I put on the master bus. I'll export a mix tonight with nothing on the master bus, and no clipping, and maybe you could run it through that master you did?

My main problem is my monitoring equipment. I mix using a decent hi-fi amp and speakers, but they're a little too toppy, I don't have a sub, and they're a bit lacking in mids. I tend to take mixes from there downstairs where I have a 5.1 system with a sub, and it always sounds way too bassy until I sort it, and then i'll play it in the car, which is a good system but again missing something in the mids.

If I could afford decent monitors........

I'm careful to make sure nothing actually in the red in Cubase. I think a lot of it is the plug-ins I put on the master bus. I'll export a mix tonight with nothing on the master bus, and no clipping, and maybe you could run it through that master you did?

My main problem is my monitoring equipment. I mix using a decent hi-fi amp and speakers, but they're a little too toppy, I don't have a sub, and they're a bit lacking in mids. I tend to take mixes from there downstairs where I have a 5.1 system with a sub, and it always sounds way too bassy until I sort it, and then i'll play it in the car, which is a good system but again missing something in the mids.

If I could afford decent monitors........

yeah heh.. you're probably compensating for your added highs on your hi-fi speakers by pulling them down, making it appear more bass heavy on other systems. i suppose the best thing to do in this case is to do some heavy A/B-ing with a spectral analysis tool and of course, your ears on a song you like the mix of and is similar in style.

yeh, it sounds like a compressor somewhere has the ratio a bit high with a pretty low threshold and is clamping down on something quite harshly, mainly affecting the drums but its hard to tell with other stuff. id run it through the master again if you like, it'll need changing though as it'll be a different mix so my EQ will probably be all wrong :D

I really was going to buy a fender of some sort - then decided to go with a LP custom.

then realized I was $2k short!.. this is the closest i could get haha, but it's cool...nothing fancy at all - i don't have to worry about fucking up the finish either.

i do like the grain on this.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/BlackHolesAndRevelations/023680345-body-l.jpg

specs are usual les paul, but it has a mahogany top like a LPC...burstbucker pickups. finish is that 'faded' type...natural color, almost. the battered LP will be for sale soon, but I don't know who will buy that.

Hi guys.

Meant to post this a couple of weeks back but I was having some problems with the wireless in my area.

So basically I got a 2nd hand 2006 MIA Strat in Cream (I'd imagine it was olympic white when it was made) with a rosewood fingerboard. Got a freaking good deal; 500 quid! With a hard case! :D.

I wanted to get a Roland Cube 30X but they were all out so I ended up getting a Micro Cube instead.

I couldnt be happier with my purchase. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice in the last two months to influence my decision. :).

It's nice of you to help me out though, cheers. I'll upload again tomorrow. I'll probably be uploading some more songs as well, a heavier one that sounds like early Muse gone right, and an acoustic one recorded in the bog because "it sounds mellower in there dude".

i took a closer look at the harbringer mix i have, you might want to check to see if you can fix the phase alignment on the higher frequency detail, id guess its from either drums or guitar.. the mix doesnt carry so well in mono

edit: after some fiddling ive figured out its the distorted electric guitar section with the phase issues

i took a closer look at the harbringer mix i have, you might want to check to see if you can fix the phase alignment on the higher frequency detail, id guess its from either drums or guitar.. the mix doesnt carry so well in mono

edit: after some fiddling ive figured out its the distorted electric guitar section with the phase issues

Interesting, ta. I thought I had sorted all phase issues, but there's around 12 guitar channels so probably missed those. I will check the mix in mono before uploading again.

I did another mix last night, but listened to it later and wasn't happy so it will be tomorrow or Friday before I upload again. I have another song almost there though, so I will upload that aswell.

Archived