http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/muse-cop-a-caning-over-ciggies/story-fn6bn80a-1225972362987

ROD Laver Arena officials have given rockers Muse a rap over the knuckles after they were caught lighting up on stage.

The Black Holes and Revelations trio was hauled over the coals by stadium bosses after bassist Christopher Wolstenholme smoked two cigarettes on stage during their final gig in Melbourne.

Rod Laver, like all indoor venues in Australia, has a strict no-smoking policy.

Wolstenholme tried to hide his puffing at first, lighting up for a few quick puffs while dry ice smoke poured over the stadium.

But he later dragged on a cigarette in between songs, infuriating bosses and security.

"Officials spoke to the band before and after the show and we were extremely disappointed when they decided to flaunt our strict no-smoking policy," Rod Laver spokeswoman Jo Juler said. "They are known as an anti-establishment style of performance group, but it was still sad that they decided to go ahead regardless."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Muse were also rapped for encouraging fans to "mosh out" -- in direct violation of security rules.

I honestly thought this was hilarious!

i don't know what to think about chris' smoking on stage. i mean i don't give a fuck but that is probably a bit rude or something. imagine if he were working in an other field of entertainment. like he was an actor or something. he would be fired immediately.

an actor where? :LOL:

can't imagine he means to be rude. he used to drink beers on stage but he's quit the alcohol. i think it's silly tbh that they should make such a big deal about it--at least by printing something in an article.

if the arena wants to fine him that's their perogative...but having a fag on stage and wanting the crowd lively isn't shocking :rolleyes:

some nudity on the other hand... :eyebrows:

:p

i don't know what to think about chris' smoking on stage. i mean i don't give a fuck but that is probably a bit rude or something. imagine if he were working in an other field of entertainment. like he was an actor or something. he would be fired immediately.

Well in some countries around the world it is illegal and if you're going to break the law, a cheeky fag ain't rock'n'roll, but then racking up rails of china on stage wouldn't be a good look either.

Bit pathetic you can't keep yourself from lighting one up for the 1.30 hours you're on stage :p

though a bit laughable to make a new article about it.

This.

I had no idea how many smokers were around me at our show until Chris lit up on stage. As soon as he did that, everyone else couldn't get theirs lit fast enough. It was like he was having the ceremonial first smoke to open the gates for the others.

Haha I remember when a 'friend' lit up a joint at Muse in 07. Most people were happy to pass it around, but I remember some kids having whinge. It was an outside gig though.

Not really the same but I thought Id share :)

also Chris can light up as much as he wants in Perth coz again it's outdoors.

I had a real chuckle at this article it really must have been a slow news day but then it's from the Herald Sun they love nothing more than having a whinge.

I was right in front of Chris night 2 and I didn't even notice. :LOL: It's a bit disrespectful he lit up I suppose but the moshing comment that was truly laughable! I was glad Dom told us to mosh pretty sure it was safer than all the running up and down stairs in a mad rush for barrier!

I was glad Dom told us to mosh pretty sure it was safer than all the running up and down stairs in a mad rush for barrier!

That was possibly the most stupid system in the universe :LOL: I can't believe they thought people would orderly go up the stairs (though I didn't think it would be that bad haha).

With the smoking thing, eh I only noticed it the first night before sunburn started, and the smoke kinda looked cool in the lights, seemed a bit unnecessary but isn't really a big issue. Wft about them going to the media about it.

If the smoking was banned then Chris shouldn't have smoked.

I can also understand why the officials would be annoyed with the moshing comments; I saw three people near me pass out and get carried out by the security.

Yes but security also refused to hand out water during Muse which should be illegal, if security don't want to do it, Rod Laver should hire some paramedics to do it!

I read this this morning after seeing a little picture of Matt in the Herald Sun. I had a real ol' chuckle. I mean, it's a rock concert and people are going to mosh regardless of what the officials say or do. If people can't handle it and pass out, then whatever. But it shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. What else are we supposed to do, just stand there? In the words of Dominic himself "maybe no moshing at a tennis match, but a rock concert...that's fine!" :musesign:

Archived