A potential ban seem a bit extreme, but I do think it was a bit naughty for Dom to tell people to ignore the "no moshing" signs. That's just asking for trouble. That bothers me more than the smoking because the smoking doesn't have potential to hurt anyone or cause a scene.

Smoking has as much potential to hurt as anything else, hence why the law is enacted in the first place. ex. fires, people who don't want to breathe smoke, etc.

Thread also should be closed because there's already a thread with this same exact article.

Smoking has as much potential to hurt as anything else, hence why the law is enacted in the first place. ex. fires, people who don't want to breathe smoke, etc.

Thread also should be closed because there's already a thread with this same exact article.

The other article didn't refer to the potential banning issue. The threads probably should be merged though.

??

If they knew about the incident I must say it was pretty immature to ecourage moshing...

I doubt Dom would have known about the incident. That's probably just The Sun digging and trying to sensationalise it.

I also doubt the Sun would be interested if Matt wasn't dating Kate.

If they knew about the incident I must say it was pretty immature to ecourage moshing...

Nah The Sun has it wrong (unsurprisingly), there's not a massive issue about moshing after the 2001 incident. BDO just sorted out it's safety policies after that. Put the 'D' in and all that.

And yeah as has been said there's a slight difference between a teenage girl getting suffocated in a Limp Bizkit mosh and Dom encouraging people to jump up and down at a Muse gig..

I don't really think it's fair to bring the BDO incident into this.

The mention of a potential ban (if they don't play by the rules in future) seems to be related to the fact that they were encouraging fans to mosh when moshing is banned following the death of a young girl at a previous BDO. The smoking incident seems quite trivial compared to that.

Moshing isn't banned here in Australia. If I remember right it was banned for a short while but it was lifted.

Aus? Don't you mean Rod Laver? Either way, sounds extremely, extremely unlikely.

Source?

Somebody mentioned they read it in the newspaper, I haven't read it directly, but there are heavy penalties Australia-wide, including bans as an option, and the whole encouraging moshing thing makes it harder for promoters to get insurance - It is hard enough as it is let along with it being encouraged by performers. I think it's all political correctness gone wrong. Chris should be penalised, but fans shouldn't be.

Aus? Don't you mean Rod Laver? Either way, sounds extremely, extremely unlikely.

Source?

Somebody mentioned they read it in the newspaper, I haven't read it directly, but there are heavy penalties Australia-wide, including bans as an option, and the whole encouraging moshing thing makes it harder for promoters to get insurance - It is hard enough as it is let along with it being encouraged by performers. I think it's all political correctness gone wrong. Chris should be penalised, but fans shouldn't be.

It's not like Dom asked us to fricken surge and jump the stage :LOL: I can't believe this is even an issue! They should just fine Chris for smoking, give em' a warning and be done with it.

That's the thing. As if Dom meant crazy, insane moshing. He wasn't encouraging the people to hurt each other or anything :LOL:

This is laughable.

I think it's commendable that the Aussie officials are so concerned about public safety at their venues, but it sounds like their concerns are somewhat misplaced. If there's an ill-regulated mad dash to reach the barrier in which fans have to take flights of stairs, that's a predictably dangerous situation -- a mass trampling just waiting to happen. It's not that moshing (even in mid-sized or smaller indoor arenas) isn't somewhat dangerous, with some fans passing out, getting banged up in the ribs against the barrier, etc. -- but the greatest physical danger is generally posed by the risk of trampling when crowds aren't smartly controlled.

As for Chris' smoking, it's really only significant on a symbolic level. As others have pointed out, it's not his two (or whatever number) of cigarettes that really matters, but the multiplier effect his example might have if others decide to light up too. But on some level, all that smoking is beside the point when you permit artists to fill the arena's air with atmospheric artificial fog effects, which by any objective definition must be acknowleged to be a form of air pollution, if one widely considered to be "safe," at least for short-term exposure.

OTOH, maybe that artificial fog stuff isn't perfectly safe after all, or at least for people with asthma. There was just a multi-million-dollar lawsuit filed against an American haunted house by a teenage girl who suffered an asthma attack after being exposed to their fog effects. The suit alleges that she ended up in a coma and her family faces hospital bills in excess of $500,000. I'm actually surprised more concert attendees with asthma don't get attacks, given the pot smoke, the regular smoke, and the chemical fog effects, but maybe most asthma sufferers just stay away from rock concerts and the like, judging that it isn't worth the risk.

So, I just asked Chris on Twitter about this incident and he said "first I heard about it was when I read The Sun." Obviously didn't get yelled at about it then :LOL:

Proves that it's mainly media beat-up, I don't know what is more silly, our Aussie media for exaggerating Chris' smoking, or some UK trash rag mentioning it cause of who Matt is dating.

Yeah, this does all sound like the media making a little storm in a teacup. Smoking's probably banned in all venues here in the UK too but Chris still lights up his pipe or fags without getting banned anywhere and the moshing thing doesn't sound like that big a deal either.

Yeah, this does all sound like the media making a little storm in a teacup. Smoking's probably banned in all venues here in the UK too but Chris still lights up his pipe or fags without getting banned anywhere and the moshing thing doesn't sound like that big a deal either.

They are trying to find a way to fill their pockets before Christmas by attacking any means possible on bands!

(jk, just trying to put the Muse back into conspiracy...)

:D

Archived