I think that they stopped playing their old stuff because they don't identify with it anymore. It's pretty obvious they changed a lot the past years and I guess they'd rather play something that means something to them than go through the motions? Though I do wonder how anyone can play the same thing every single night and not start to be bored and just "go through the motions" that way, too. Perhaps that's why Chris and Dom look bored? They being either Matt or all three; I can't tell you nor do I particularly care tbh.

I do have quite a bit of hope for the new album, though. Yes, it's hard to take what Matt says seriously, but it does seem Chris will have a bigger role this time compared to TR, and I'm hoping that'll balance things out a bit.

I am genuinely afraid of the next album and tour, This tour has been a sham all the way through.

Matt doesn't want to play the piano because he can't connect with the crowd? Well it's bloody unfortunate that some of the best songs he's written are for the piano then, isn't it? Oh wait, they never play those anyway.

Chris looks incredibly bored during songs like Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires. If you watch Dom at Glastonbury, he pretty much just sits there with a blank stare during Guiding Light. He's so bored.

Matt isn't a pushover. If Dom and Chris object to any decision he makes I'm sure he wouldn't go down without a fight. Dom and Chris probably can't be bothered arguing with him, and just go along with the setlists of cheese.

This makes me sad. :LOL:. I guess confirming my irrational hopes of hearing old songs. :stunned: But still..I will never be able to give up total hope. And I can't see me ever stopping going to their shows thats just blasphemous..they have been and will continue to be my favorite band. So even if their new record blows, I'll still pay for them to play it. :musesign:

And I mean. I recall not being immediately in love with TR album, but it grew on me. And I appreciate it. I guess like a lot of things, it's muse at the end of the day, and although I have songs or albums I enjoy more, I sort of mentally see it all as one collective album.

That's my soapbox and I'm sticking to it.

But yeah. Not going to lie, I still hope for Dead Star..and Muscle Museum and like 5 others. hahaha.

He's also the man who has all his guitars stacked in the way of falling curtains. And we all know how that worked out.

:chuckle:

Been wondering what to do about this thread, I guess it's a relevant topic for the area.

Please could we use it constructively though guys, instead of a place to bitch about the current tour? We need some positivity around here. :p

They can do like Green Day.

35 songs on one gig:LOL:

Yes please. :D

I hope that for the next tour they figure "Right, now that we got your attention newbies with the Resistance Tour.....heres Hyper Music, Cheers!" :D

/wishful thinking :rolleyes:

I suppose it all depends on what direction the next album takes. I sincerely hope though that now they are an established band pretty much all over the world, they'll play longer sets and cover more of their back catalogue.

Stateside I'd expect to see stadium shows in NY and LA, and maybe even somewhere like Toronto (again...wishful thinking/ bias) I think we'll see a lot more double nights. not only Staples Center, and the O2, but places like Madison Square Garden, Toronto, Chicago, and smaller places like Seattle, or Columbus.

Then for Europe, double (maybe triple? or at least 3 visits over the tour) at Wembley, Stade de France, San Siro, Netherlands, Berlin, etc. And if there is an arena tour for Europe, id expect to see double nights at most venues.

I really hope the Resistance tour isn't an indication of future tours from Muse. They could really make the next tour so much more interesting with not even much effort.

Start with a "generous" 18-20 song template. Let's face it, by the time they tour again they'll have at least 12 more songs in their repertoire. They frankly can't get away with 15-18 song sets for much longer.

Start rotating older songs more often, and with better sense. Swapping Guiding Light for Citizen Erased is comical for sure, but it isn't at all logical.

Start giving more equal representation to their back catalog. They have millions of fans. We all know the music. Even giving just slightly more focus on the newer material doesn't look that bad on paper:

~1 Showbiz song a night

~2-3 Origin songs

~3-4 Absolution songs

~3-4 BH&R songs

~3-4 Resistance songs

~6 New album songs

There's about 20 right there and would probably please just about everybody, assuming it's not the SAME older songs the whole tour. Sure, maybe constructing the set might take a few minutes of extra thought. If Matt doesn't have the time, then they could hire someone who can do it. Like me.

Showbiz: If every Muse gig were guaranteed a song from the list of Sunburn/Showbiz/Cave/Muscle Museum/Uno, there would be far less to complain about. Simple.

Origin: Plug In Baby/Bliss can very feasibly be swapped for one another. Same with New Born/Citizen Erased since both have piano and guitar passages (and Matt should really go back to playing piano on New Born, but that's a whole different topic). Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, Hyper Music could feasibly be shuffled as well. Feeling Good could even pop its head in once every so often, too. I don't think people really hate that song so much as they feel it doesn't need to be played at every gig.

Absolution: Hysteria and TIRO aren't going anywhere ever, let's face it. As much as it pains me, Stockholm could be put on shuffle with another epic song like Butterflies. Small Print/Atheist could be swapped for an extra treat every so often, too.

Would this be so hard?

1 New Song

2 New Song

3 New Born / Citizen Erased

4 Supermassive Black Hole / Map of the Problematique

5 Uprising

6 New Song

7 Hysteria

8 MK Ultra / Unnatural Selection / Assassin

9 New Piano Song

10 Older Piano Song

11 Resistance / Undisclosed Desires

12 Origin of Symmetry / Absolution Selection

13 Starlight

14 Time Is Running Out

15 New Song

-----

16 Showbiz Selection

17 Stockholm Syndrome / Butterflies & Hurricanes

-----

18 New Song

19 Bliss / Plug In Baby

20 Knights / Take a Bow

Edited by halo eighteen

They need a full, year-long break without touring, recording or even thinking about music. Just drop what they're doing and go get a fucking life. Then, to get their chops back up to speed and whet their appetites, come back in early 2012 and do a five-night stand in select cities around the world where each night gets an entire album in its entirety plus their related b-sides. (That'll easily filter the newer fans into albums 4 and 5 while older fans get what they want in albums 1 to 3.) Then go into the studio for album No. 6 to be released at the end of 2012.

They need a full, year-long break without touring, recording or even thinking about music. Just drop what they're doing and go get a fucking life. Then, to get their chops back up to speed and whet their appetites, come back in early 2012 and do a five-night stand in select cities around the world where each night gets an entire album in its entirety plus their related b-sides. (That'll easily filter the newer fans into albums 4 and 5 while older fans get what they want in albums 1 to 3.) Then go into the studio for album No. 6 to be released at the end of 2012.

If they would do an album a night for select cities (IE, London gets 6 nights. NY gets 6 nights etc) then PLEASE become their manager!

I've been thinking about Bliss. It's my (and many others) favourite song ever, and, as I didn't get tickets for the Saturday Wembley gig, I didn't get to see it. They've been playing it less and less lately, and by the time their next album (if they do one) comes out and they go on tour, will they phase it out altogether?

I'm just worried that I'll never get to see my favourite song live. It looks bloody immense. Although, sometime ago, Matt said that the next album would be 'back to their roots' (not sure of the actual quote), so, maybe there is hope? I don't know. I mean, this forum is full of nutcases who want Escape live :p, and that'll probably never happen given the nature of this tour (and, by continuation, the next).:(

Just a bit of a worrisome rant for me. Feel free to troll me, if you want.

EDIT: Oh bollocks, put this in Gigs and Tours section :facepalm:. Maybe the Songs and Releases section would be more appropriate. Feel free to get rid of this is you feel this is the case.

Edited by mentlegen.

You have a great point, now lets see how I can twist this into my own ideas. Pre-new album touring, they could have a mini tour, super exclusive, only hitting major venues one night each. Strictly dedicated to everything pre-Resistance playing the songs that aren't the album singles/currently played popular songs. They could easily hit the songs that people miss hearing.

It's a great thought, but I'm sure its not very obtainable. I don't think they would go for it, not to mention people would be killing each other over tickets, haha.

I've been thinking about Bliss. It's my (and many others) favourite song ever, and, as I didn't get tickets for the Saturday Wembley gig, I didn't get to see it. They've been playing it less and less lately, and by the time their next album (if they do one) comes out and they go on tour, will they phase it out altogether?

I'm just worried that I'll never get to see my favourite song live. It looks bloody immense. Although, sometime ago, Matt said that the next album would be 'back to their roots' (not sure of the actual quote), so, maybe there is hope? I don't know. I mean, this forum is full of nutcases who want Escape live :p, and that'll probably never happen given the nature of this tour (and, by continuation, the next).:(

Just a bit of a worrisome rant for me. Feel free to troll me, if you want.

EDIT: Oh bollocks, put this in Gigs and Tours section :facepalm:. Maybe the Songs and Releases section would be more appropriate. Feel free to get rid of this is you feel this is the case.

Oo rant support. Love this job.

I love Bliss too, haven't seen it live (along with many things)

I've been waiting a while to say this bit.

Basically, during BH&R tour, all 4 albums were very much alive, with regulars and rarities from all the albums (Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Showbiz, Unintended maybe more).

But, during this tour, Showbiz has basically vanished. Cave and Unintended are the only ones left, and none of them are complete regulars. There are no rarities from this album.

Showbiz as an album died during this tour. And what I'm worrying, is that with a new album, the next oldest album will die. This is of course, the much loved Origin Of Symmetry.

It's alive now- New Born and Plug In Baby are regulars, with Citizen Erased and Bliss as rarities IIRC. I fear that come the next tour, these may all die.

Scary.

I think that they stopped playing their old stuff because they don't identify with it anymore. It's pretty obvious they changed a lot the past years and I guess they'd rather play something that means something to them than go through the motions?

Ithis makes COMPLETE sense! I was just thinking about that and Neutron Star Collision. Surprisingly it was only played once in the States (LA#2) and hasn't (and probably) won't be played again. Matt wrote it as a post Gaia song and he is dating (happily it seems) Kate, therefore the song would have little meaning now.

The band has definitely made it noticed that when they don't connect with a song much anymore they won't play it. Matt wrote some of showbiz as a teenager, you can't expect a 30 year old man to relate to material written 10+ years ago. That said i'd still be nice as a fan to hear 1-2 songs, Matt should take notice of this demand and the effect of popularity that it has, if there was only a way to communicate that through him. If I met him I would ask him if he really would like to play older songs.

I am genuinely afraid of the next album and tour, This tour has been a sham all the way through.

Matt isn't a pushover. If Dom and Chris object to any decision he makes I'm sure he wouldn't go down without a fight. Dom and Chris probably can't be bothered arguing with him, and just go along with the setlists of cheese.

The new album is about 1.5 years of even making it out, it'll be some time before we get exposed to new material. It seems from interviews that the process works as a democracy and that both Dom and Chris are indeed happy with the album and tour.

They can do like Green Day.

35 songs in one gig:LOL:

Very wishful thinking, but heck it could happen one day.

I hope that for the next tour they figure "Right, now that we got your attention newbies with the Resistance Tour.....heres Hyper Music, Cheers!" :D

Stateside I'd expect to see stadium shows in NY and LA, and maybe even somewhere like Toronto (again...wishful thinking/ bias) I think we'll see a lot more double nights. not only Staples Center, and the O2, but places like Madison Square Garden, Toronto, Chicago, and smaller places like Seattle, or Columbus.

Then for Europe, double (maybe triple? or at least 3 visits over the tour) at Wembley, Stade de France, San Siro, Netherlands, Berlin, etc. And if there is an arena tour for Europe, id expect to see double nights at most venues.

They've done 3 Main tours in the states (both of them with two legs) and have opened for bands like My Chemical Romance. They've always tried to get the newbies into it, back in the Absolution era, the album even had a commercial on MTV (yes! MTV!) Hard to believe right?

They have doubled their fanbase since then in the States, their last tour (BHAR) which I attended featured 17 song setlists and in some ocassion 20 song setlists (2 encores) with about 5-8 jams included.

That said their popularity has skyrocketed now and they have hit the mainstream well, they have played Staples center, Madison square garden and basically every big arena venue in the States as well as amphitheaters, they haven't hit many stadiusm (minus U2 tour) but they have headlines all major festivals at least once (or twice).

Muse has been touring like a U2-status band and have reached that level of KNOWN for quite some time now.

The dilemma for this tour is the short setlists with minimal variability. 15 song setlists compared to 17-20 last tour? Ouch.

Also only play Bliss once in the whole tour? Ouch #2.

Specifically in the States muse will learn after this tour that they are a known band. I see them fixing the short/generic setlist dilemma the fans have by playing longer setlists and possibly start to do either Stadiums or return to Amphitheaters to accomidate their next album, arenas will also be present but I predic the next stage set up won't have towers.

If they do that, plus play 1 rarity per gig the public (both new and old) will be happy :)

Muse is not Roger Waters of the wall yet :LOL: that'll be a cool idea IDK in 10 years from now? It'd be cool though.

Oo rant support. Love this job.

I love Bliss too, haven't seen it live (along with many things)

I've been waiting a while to say this bit.

Basically, during BH&R tour, all 4 albums were very much alive, with regulars and rarities from all the albums (Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Showbiz, Unintended maybe more).

But, during this tour, Showbiz has basically vanished. Cave and Unintended are the only ones left, and none of them are complete regulars. There are no rarities from this album.

Showbiz as an album died during this tour. And what I'm worrying, is that with a new album, the next oldest album will die. This is of course, the much loved Origin Of Symmetry.

t's alive now- New Born and Plug In Baby are regulars, with Citizen Erased and Bliss as rarities IIRC. I fear that come the next tour, these may all die.

Scary.

Plug in Baby will never die... Showbiz however... Maybe it's time for a comeback.

showbizz.jpg

Badly shopped zombies FTW.

He is also the man in charge of the set design and ideas (hello towers!), the man who lost his pedal (so they can't play MM) and the man who doesn't like the piano anymore because it cuts him seeing from the public (coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public) hence why we only get 2 piano songs now.

So that's the reason? Interesting. :rolleyes:

I dont REALLY mind Showbiz going. Unintended has made the leap to stadium ballad okay, but Invincible is infinitely better, and Blackout better still.

There are some great songs, but the band clearly dont really like the album, i think Sunburn could be the exception to this.

If the other albums got enough attention, Showbiz fading wouldnt be a huge issue I dont think. Songs like Hyper Music, The Small Print, Sing for Absolution could be great still.

meh, its all been said, who cares.