LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

5 minutes ago, MartianSpaghettiRider said:

No offense, but this made me LOL a good deal. You can accuse them of getting old (and a bit hypocritical) with the “fuck da powah, let’s start revolution” schtick in Matt’s lyrics, but musically speaking I can’t hear how they’ve done the exact same thing in the new songs, apart from Liberation which comes a little dangerously close to that. 
Not even commenting on the “godawful melodies” and Matt “wanting to prove he’s the best singer in the world” (uh?? What the heck??) because I think they’re quite weak as reasons to hate this new material.

What the fuck do I care what you think of my reasons?

SO

I wasn't too impressed at first when I heard the album for the firs time but after spinning it 3 times it's already starting to grow on me. Definitely better than Simulation Theory and you can hear they are having a blast. For the moment, Ghost is the weakest track for me and I don't think that will change. 

WAFF is really refreshing and it really reminds of the older Muse; I think there's really something for everyone in this album, "The Will of the People" makes sense as people got what they wanted.

I'm excited to spend hours with this album and see how it grows.

• Like 2

Verona is gorgeous, WAFF great and even the Halloween track was better than I expected it would be. The rest, bar WSD and KOBK, is fine but not particularly gobsmacking.

The lyrical themes are becoming increasingly repetitive but I just accept it from Muse nowadays. Not sure I ever truly believe the things they're saying in the songs but it's all good fun. Will see how the record grows on me over time but I don't have the immediate urge to give it another play as I did Drones or even Simulation Theory. 

Edited by Muse_Fan_2007
edit

So I finally got the confirmation my bundle of the new album has been shipped... today.

5-7 days expected for Europe (I'm from Belgium). So that makes perfect sense when pre-ordering the album on Muse official website and getting it delivered 1 week after its freaking release in the worst case. This is the 2nd time they do this and I can't find a right reason to better thank loyal fans.

Why can't we at least get a digital version to download on the day of release so we can listen to this new album in decent conditions, instead of listening to it on a streaming app ?
And why can't they somehow manage to ship them so us, fans who preordered months ago the album, get the album on the day of release ? I chose to buy directly from their website so I believe this is somehow to their advantage as well, instead of buying it on Amazon or even in a local store. I guess by doing this they get a higher margin on the sale price probably. And still, this is the "thank you" we get in exchange ? Why... ?

• Thanks 1

I don't really pay close attention to muse lyrics anymore (for obvious reasons), but I like the line in Ghosts, "How can I sleep with this coldness beside me / How can I sleep with this coldness inside me". Simple, but poetic and relatable.

51 minutes ago, Xav said:

So I finally got the confirmation my bundle of the new album has been shipped... today.

5-7 days expected for Europe (I'm from Belgium). So that makes perfect sense when pre-ordering the album on Muse official website and getting it delivered 1 week after its freaking release in the worst case. This is the 2nd time they do this and I can't find a right reason to better thank loyal fans.

Why can't we at least get a digital version to download on the day of release so we can listen to this new album in decent conditions, instead of listening to it on a streaming app ?
And why can't they somehow manage to ship them so us, fans who preordered months ago the album, get the album on the day of release ? I chose to buy directly from their website so I believe this is somehow to their advantage as well, instead of buying it on Amazon or even in a local store. I guess by doing this they get a higher margin on the sale price probably. And still, this is the "thank you" we get in exchange ? Why... ?

Might arrive earlier, mine arrived yesterday but I only got the shipping email today so you might not have to wait too long.

• Thanks 1

There’s nothing on it I outright dislike, which is more than can be said for every album since Absolution.

So many great stand out moments. I already loved WOTP, WSD and KOBK, and I don’t have any issues with Compliance.

Going through - Liberation is nowhere near the complete Queen cheeseout I expected. I like the refrains, and the Queeny flashes are just that, flashes. I quite like how it eschews a big chorus.

Ghosts is definitely the low point for me after a few listens, but there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s sweet, poignant and does offer a bit of mid-album respite.

Halloween - everything ST SHOULD have been. Brilliantly bonkers, so catchy, best solo for ages, just a ripper. Calling it now - the mini Europe tour finishes just before Halloween. Who’s ready for a Muse Halloween show? Costumes, special set, creepy stage show, actors, etc. I’d love that.

Verona is wonderfully blissed out. Like the lyrics too. Those descending synthy scales though… Stranger Things intro music anyone?

Euphoria - Muse’s best pop rock song for a while. I unashamedly love Revolt and this takes that vibe to new heights. Great chorus and solo.

And finally, WAFF. It’s just bonkers. I grinned like a lunatic throughout. Matt screaming ‘Fuck Off!’ repeatedly is a new Muse Lol highlight.

I LOVE how massive the drums are on this album, every song is so percussive. Brilliant bass too. Reminds me of Prince and Michael Jackson at times.

• Like 5

The music video to Halloween has so many Easter Eggs in it. My favorite at the end when all of they masks are being shown, they definitely flash the Slipknot mask Dom wore in the sit the fuck down video. So funny! 

Also, still love this album so much. 

I think it’s incredible how it’s literally album release day and there’s been no posts in 2 hours on the official forum. Sad times, this place was hopping around the T2L and Drones releases. 

Anyway this album is a solid 8/10 for me. Faves being KOBK, Verona and WAFF. It’s nice to see the reception amongst fans is mostly good as well. 

• Like 1

Interesting interview this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMvtyphl9rA

Nice to see Zane ask the questions we've been discussing in this thread (raising these issues does not mean you hate the band). Matt comes off a bit naïve and optimistic perhaps, hoping for both sides to come together without outrightly denouncing them.  It's a balancing act, not quite sure if Muse is the band to bridge the political divide.

16 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Interesting interview this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMvtyphl9rA

Nice to see Zane ask the questions we've been discussing in this thread (raising these issues does not mean you hate the band). Matt comes off a bit naïve and optimistic perhaps, hoping for both sides to come together without outrightly denouncing them.  It's a balancing act, not quite sure if Muse is the band to bridge the political divide.

The "common ground" thing is a bit silly when he envisions two extremes getting inspired by the same songs about essentially rising up and taking out the other side. That's like an arms dealer supplying weapons to both sides and hoping it will bring peace. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xav said:

Exactly my thoughts. Mine got shipped today, I asked them on Tuesday when it will be shipped, it was still in the warehouse being picked to get packed 😣 they said due to high volumes … yeah, I mean … hello?? It has to be somebodys fault in the end …. 

I ordered with tracked mail, so it says 4-10 business days … I‘m in Austria. .. means the earliest next Tuesday 🤨 

Edited by Claudia O

12 hours ago, Muse_Fan_2007 said:

Verona is gorgeous, WAFF great and even the Halloween track was better than I expected it would be. The rest, bar WSD and KOBK, is fine but not particularly gobsmacking.

The lyrical themes are becoming increasingly repetitive but I just accept it from Muse nowadays. Not sure I ever truly believe the things they're saying in the songs but it's all good fun. Will see how the record grows on me over time but I don't have the immediate urge to give it another play as I did Drones or even Simulation Theory. 

I was afraid I was the only one on this board to have similar impressions on first listen. 

The length of the album has definitely helped me avoid skipping tracks, as with Drones and Simulation Theory. Their best since Absolution? I say no. Even with all its faults, Black Holes was a much more entertaining and overall better rounded album. I agree on the lyrics being repetitive, but at this point what else could they possibly talk about? I appreciate this album for being  more of a kitsch-y mirror of Queen's Flash Gordon than the serious flashback to the 80's they attempted with ST.

Without a question, the last three songs are the best part of the album, Verona being the real standout. 

I remember the radical difference in the audience's reaction from the Absolution to the Resistance tour, when they began going overboard with the orchestration. Went from people truly immersed in the music and jumping and screaming their hearts out to phones up in the air recording the screens and the laser show.

Do I want a return to basic rock (i.e., first two albums)? Not necessarily. Muse shine the brightest when they go bonkers experimenting, but when it is done without a clear aim it is rather vacuous and it fizzles out soon after it is cracked open. 

I am going to give it a few more plays, and I hope/expect my opinion will improve.