LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

Listened to them all about 5 times now. 

WAFF is probably my favourite from the tracks I haven't heard from the album. 
Ghosts I keep playing as well.
Verona is pretty good.
 YMMFLIH is pretty cringe imo. 
Liberation is pretty weak 
Euphoria is ok. Not bad though. 

Overall, it's an 'OK' album. Still getting tickets tomorrow in the pre-sale (Hopefully!)

What I like about the album is that there seems to be a genuine sincerity to lyrics. There's usually a filter where they seem to moulded into what Muse should sound like, a bit abstract. The song writing on WOTP is a bit more streamlined and a bit clearer what Matt is intending with the lyrics. Still cringey though but that's been there from the start and it wouldn't be a muse without a fair bit of cringe. 

Not sure where I would rank the album, recentcy bias, maybe 5th or 6th after the first 4 or 5 albums respectively.

43 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

What I like about the album is that there seems to be a genuine sincerity to lyrics. There's usually a filter where they seem to moulded into what Muse should sound like, a bit abstract. The song writing on WOTP is a bit more streamlined and a bit clearer what Matt is intending with the lyrics. Still cringey though but that's been there from the start and it wouldn't be a muse without a fair bit of cringe. 

Not sure where I would rank the album, recentcy bias, maybe 5th or 6th after the first 4 or 5 albums respectively.

The vocal delivery and diction contributes a lot to the cringe factor post-Resistance for me as well, and it's a lot better on this album. It makes it sound more sincere despite the lyrics. It's not as constipated, faux-urgent or broadway-esque. For example, musically, the verses in Euphoria are pretty much identical to Thought Contagion, but the delivery is so much less embarrassing. (This may be a bad example since TC has the absolute worst lyrics so anything is less cringey than that one.)

42 minutes ago, Timbo59 said:

Yeah hard to say so soon, but I think I can safely say it's above ST and Drones at least.

ST is so hard for me to rank since the three songs I like have more staying power than anything on Drones or even TR. But the bad on that album is just so terribly bad. 

I think WOTP has a much higher keeper/skipper ratio, but indeed, time will tell, it hasn't even been released yet :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, That Little Animal said:

The vocal delivery and diction contributes a lot to the cringe factor post-Resistance for me as well, and it's a lot better on this album. It makes it sound more sincere despite the lyrics. It's not as constipated, faux-urgent or broadway-esque. For example, musically, the verses in Euphoria are pretty much identical to Thought Contagion, but the delivery is so much less embarrassing. (This may be a bad example since TC has the absolute worst lyrics so anything is less cringey than that one.)

Perfectly showcased by the delivery of:

Incidentally
Electronically erased
By your

(but I love it!)

Edited by Silentgod86

33 minutes ago, Timbo59 said:

Worse than the last few?

If anything (imho), it manages to turn the said “cringe” on its own head and craft it into something listenable and incredibly fun, if not a bit more clever. 
It’s also serious just when really needed (Ghosts, Verona) without trying hard to be like that.

About creativity, yeah, you can feel some influences but  it feels honestly even more Muse-y than ST.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider
  • Like 1

it's a 5/10. 
Much better than ST and about on par with Drones.

but the dum dum lyrics are getting worse... 'with our backs against the wall' is already a well known pseudo-intellectual platitude for 12 year olds.. and this album is rife with that kinda crap, it's all getting abit sad at times.

by the next album cycle they will be 50 and it feels time for something abit more substantial and time withstanding than this.

4 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

Worse than the last few?

Yeah, I would say so. Each time they do the same thing, it demonstrates their lack of creativity and takes away from it that little bit more.  So yeah, even worse.  The melodies are god awful in my opinion, and sound like Matt trying to prove he's the best vocalist on the planet or something.  

22 minutes ago, AC46 said:

Yeah, I would say so. Each time they do the same thing, it demonstrates their lack of creativity and takes away from it that little bit more.  So yeah, even worse.  The melodies are god awful in my opinion, and sound like Matt trying to prove he's the best vocalist on the planet or something.  

I feel like they may have beaten me into submission when it comes to the cringe factor. Either this album is way less cringey than the last two (apart from the title track), or I’ve finally become immune/deaf to it. 

Edited by That Little Animal
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, That Little Animal said:

I feel like they may have beaten me into submission when it comes to the cringe factor. Either this album is way less cringey than the last two (apart from the title track), or I’ve finally become immune/deaf to it. 

Now I know the first line of my fanfic:

"Take off your clothes and come in my cave"

Cringe has always been intrinsic to the Muse experience.

47 minutes ago, AC46 said:

No offense, but this made me LOL a good deal. You can accuse them of getting old (and a bit hypocritical) with the “fuck da powah, let’s start revolution” schtick in Matt’s lyrics, but musically speaking I can’t hear how they’ve done the exact same thing in the new songs, apart from Liberation which comes a little dangerously close to that. 
Not even commenting on the “godawful melodies” and Matt “wanting to prove he’s the best singer in the world” (uh?? What the heck??) because I think they’re quite weak as reasons to hate this new material.

• Like 1