LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

5 hours ago, kueller said:

At under 40 minutes I'm thinking about how I've been on this damn site for almost a decade seeing posts about the benefits of shorter records. I think those were from Clunge? And here they are with a quick and punchy record. I think I'd get tired if it was 50 minutes.

Aye. I always thought the old vinyl format, max 40 mins – 20 per side – made for a brilliant template where you had to think carefully about constructing an album. This fits that mould well with WOTP through Ghosts and then Halloween through WAFF.

• Like 4

I think the biggest surprise about this entire album is that the sappy, slow build love ballad is almost universally considered the best song. And I agree completely. It's a 10/10 for me. It's a perfect song. 

I'd probably rank my favorites like this, and then the rest of the songs idc about enough to rank. Waff is fun but its like a novelty song and its hard to take seriously. It'll be fun live though.

Verona

KOBK

Euphoria (Musiest song on the album)

WSD

Liberation

Halloween

I resisted all the temptations, I only heard snippets of the completely new songs  in an interview here and there, and finally got my album today and listened to it in one go. Ok. 

Will of the people. Great opener, I loved it! Btw, I loved „The beautiful people“ before (I don‘t say I’m a fan of MM, but I always loved this song and his version of „Sweet dreams“). Need to listen closer next time when Matt sings sheeple 🤣

Compliance, no sorry, this is not my thing. Will be cool live I believe, but on record.. nope. Great singing, it‘s just the whole song is .. 

Liberation. Phew! Idk, does nothing to me, may grow on me, who knows.

Won‘t stand down - I love it! Sounds great, massive, will be great live.

Ghosts. Beautiful! Yes, I had tears in my eyes.. thank god I haven‘t lost somebody close to me lately… comparing it to the songs on Matts solo album, it it much better recorded, produced, sung … I hope to hear it live one day, but I can totally understand if Matt decides not to, as he said in a recent interview. 

You make me feel like it‘s Halloween. Haha yes! Funny, the Panic Station on the album 🤣 watching the video it distracts a lot from the song, but I love the video! listened to the CD here and to hear it after Ghosts was a bit pffff… on the vinyl it‘ll be better.

Kill or be killed, I have to say I prefer the live version! Maybe cause we first heard it live? Idk, something‘s missing on the recorded version, maybe cause it‘s not so „in your face“. 

Verona. I like it. The words are a bit cheesy, it will grow on me I think. 

Euphoria. You know, I heard a little snipped before I heard the full song, and I thought „Muse will go to Eurovision Song Contest next year 🙄“  the chorus sounds a lot like many other popsongs. But then you get guitars and drums, great singing, needs more listen and will be exciting live 😬😁

We are fucking fucked. I expected a lot, and I got a lot! I love it !  There was a moment when I thought „Oh!!!! Yesss!!“ what a surprise! I need to listen again and then tell you what it was. Next single?  Great album closer, and I think gig closer 😊 KOC is a great song, but play it before the first encore, it‘ll do fine there. 

After more listens and finally watching the live-versions of the new songs, I‘m sure I‘ll change my mind here and there

Edited by Claudia O
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Claudia O said:

I resisted al the temptations, I only heard snippets of the new songs in an interview here and there, and finally got my album today and listened to it in one go. Ok. 

Will of the people. Great opener, I loved it! Btw, I loved „The beautiful people“ before (I don‘t say I’m a fan of MM, but I always loved this song and his version of „Sweet dreams“). Need to listen closer next time when Matt sings sheeple 🤣

Compliance, no sorry, this is not my thing. Will be cool live I believe, but on record.. nope. Great singing, it‘s just the whole song is .. 

Liberation. Phew! Idk, does nothing to me, may grow on me, who knows.

Won‘t stand down - I love it! Sounds great, massive, will be great live.

Ghosts. Beautiful! Yes, I had tears in my eyes.. thank god I haven‘t lost somebody close to me lately… comparing it to the songs on Matts solo album, it it much better recorded, produced, sung … I hope to hear it live one day, but I can totally understand if Matt decides not to, as he said in a recent interview. 

You make me feel like it‘s Halloween. Haha yes! Funny, the Panic Station on the album 🤣 watching the video it distracts a lot from the song. I listened the CD here and to hear it after Ghosts was a but pffff… on the vinyl it‘ll be better.

Kill or be killed, I have to say I prefer the live version! Maybe cause we first heard it live? Idk, something‘s missing on the recorded version, maybe cause it‘s not so „in your face“. 

Verona. I like it. The words are a bit cheesy, it will grow on me I think. 

Euphoria. You know, I heard a little snipped before I heard the full song, and I thought „Muse will go to Eurovision Song Contest next year 🙄“  the chorus sounds a lot like many other popsongs. But then you get guitars and drums, great singing, needs more listen abd will be exciting live 😬😁

We are fucking fucked. I expected a lot, and I got a lot! I love it !  There was a moment when I thought „Oh!!!! Yesss!!“ what a surprise! I need to listen again and then tell you what it was. Next single?  Great album closer, and I think gig closer 😊 KOC is a great song, but play it before the first encore, it‘ll do fine there. 

After more listens and finally watching the live-versions of the new songs, I‘m sure I‘ll change my mind here and there

Wait, had you not listened to WOTP, Compliance and WSD all this time either? 

• Haha 1

Second listen (on vinyl)

Verona got stuck in my head! It‘s a great song 😊 anybody else noticed that the guitar sounds like U2 ? 

Yes, now Halloween after Ghosts makes sense, turning of the sides 👍 and, „I‘m your number 1 fan“ is on record. 

Still no Liberation and Euphoria fan, sorry, but I appreciate Matts falsetto  in Euphoria near the end .. as high as Handler, live? 

Rocking and laughing, We are fucking fucked. This should be a single !

Edited by Claudia O

On 9/9/2022 at 4:12 AM, Claudia O said:

Second listen (on vinyl)

Verona got stuck in my head! It‘s a great song 😊 anybody else noticed that the guitar sounds like U2 ? 

Yes, now Halloween after Ghosts makes sense, turning of the sides 👍 and, „I‘m your number 1 fan“ is on record. 

Still no Liberation and Euphoria fan, sorry, but I appreciate Matts falsetto  in Euphoria near the end .. as high as Handler, live? 

Rocking and laughing, We are fucking fucked. This should be a single !

Verona is very much in the U2 vein. The dreamy layered production also reminds me of last year's Wolf Alice album, Blue Weekend. 

That said, it still manages to pinch a few recent Muse elements. The pulsing synths of Algorithm, the plucky guitar melody of Dead Inside, the earnest building power balladry of (gulp!) Guiding Light. Plus the underlying theme of the pandemic-romance lyrics seems to be that "Love is our Resistance!" 😅

Somehow, they fused all that into a really great track.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:04 PM, That Little Animal said:

Cringe inflation. 

I think that's a bonus track on an upcoming Japanese release of the album.😜

On 9/7/2022 at 11:16 AM, Claudia O said:

Verona. I like it. The words are a bit cheesy

Well, it is Shakespeare for the 2020s after all! They could release it as a single with a B-side cover of Dire Straits' Romeo & Juliet.😁