LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

Nothing on youtube, nothing on twitter, nothing on Reddit, nothing on discord and no new activity on last.fm for the new tracks.

But to be honest, if I had the chance to get my hands on an early copy myself, I don't even know how I would leak it: I don't have a cd player anymore and my record player doesn't have a usb port to copy music in mp3 format. 

8 hours ago, Hullabaloo said:

Nothing on youtube, nothing on twitter, nothing on Reddit, nothing on discord and no new activity on last.fm for the new tracks.

But to be honest, if I had the chance to get my hands on an early copy myself, I don't even know how I would leak it: I don't have a cd player anymore and my record player doesn't have a usb port to copy music in mp3 format. 

Yeah I think that's the issue. Most people can play the record but don't have the means to copy from it. I'd take just an external recording of it playing from a phone at this point. That's how I heard snippets from ST and I was happy with just a few teasers.

47 minutes ago, Clunge said:

Would love to see the piano make a real comeback on this tour.

I hope so too. Perhaps the brief comeback of Space Dementia was a bit of a warmup exercise. 

Then again, Ghosts will be the most piano-heavy track and I believe Matt already mentioned they might not attempt to play it during this tour. 

1 hour ago, Clunge said:

Looking forward to Halloween and WAFF most. Liberation COULD be good if it's as good as USOE, which I've always had a soft spot for. Would love to see the piano make a real comeback on this tour.

You loved Propaganda if I recall correctly, didn’t you? 

Well… let’s say Halloween it’s a sort of bonkers cross between that song and Megalomania. 😉

(Yep, I listened to the 20-sec  snippets floating around)

EDIT: Unfortunately (or maybe not?) we still don’t have any WAFF snippet.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

YMMFLIH has that Toccata style organ in it and it just sounds like it's going to be the most bonkers Muse song ever. They actually made a Halloween song y'all. 

Verona sounds like it's going to be really nice too. 

Edit: Halloween is the next single to be released on Friday! 

Edited by Chryse

Okay now that I've heard every song at least 5 times, I have to say this is a really strong album. I was pleasantly surprised by the highlights of Simulation Theory, but it had a fair share of absolute stinkers. This album has Liberation and Will of the People which I can't imagine myself getting into, but they're also not bad. And everything aside from that is good to great. 

Really liking Verona which feels like what Simulation Theory should have sounded like: Muse integrating Synthwave into their style rather than apeing what other Synthwave bands had done (Darkside > Algorithm).

Euphoria sounds like another go at writing Revolt, quick and poppy in the style of the first Killers Album. Definitely the less offensive track of the Revolt, Get Up and Fight and Euphorbia trilogy.

Edited by Silentgod86

Alright. This is some great stuff.

For some reason it feels like they’ve been taking risks on the last few albums that didn’t quite pay off. This time they’re still taking risks and most of the time it lands perfectly. 

Verona is an absolute highlight. Like RBS and Glorious having a synth baby. 

Halloween nails what more recent songs in the ‘bonkers’ category failed to do: the verses, choruses solos and bridges form one cohesive song, you don’t have to cringe in between the good bits. Best groove in their catalog. 

Euphoria is Thought Contagion, TIRO and Revolt having a baby. Not sure we needed that. 

Ghosts sound like it would have been the best song on Cryosleep. Great piano ballad. The lyrics lack the awkwardness that gets in the way of enjoying some of their other recent ballads (‘The great reset’ line is a bit odd though). I just feel like the vocals could be better. Matt sounds impeccable on Verona, Ghosts feels like it could have used a couple more takes. 

I feel Liberation is the weakest of the previously unheard songs. It’s ‘Muse doing queen’, and nailing that same sound, but the song is no USoE. Also, if this is a song about BLM I either don’t get the lyrics or Matt doesn’t get the movement. 

WAFF is taking a risk and sticking the landing. The sound of the intro and verses really nail a sound they haven’t mastered before, and it really suits Matt’s voice. The choruses are a brilliant invitation for what should be one of the best stadium chants out there. The bridge is like a modern snippet from ‘we didn’t start the fire’, but luckily not too long. The outro sounds like they were trying write a new set closer to finally replace KoC, but instead they just ended up with KoC again. That’s a good thing, I think. 

EDIT: Updated what songs Euphoria reminds me of. 

Edited by That Little Animal

A bit disappointed. I wanna go throught it several times before making a final jugdement, but for me points low tier in the Muse discography, in the same boat of  Simulation and 2nd Law.

Really really short album with really simple song structures. You can feel TONS of work when creating new sounds, taking risks, tunning the instruments, even the band having fun, etcetera, which is good, but neither the songs looks to take profit of this work with their 2 repetitions + guitar solo + last repetition structure. With this brief duration and being so architecture-repetitive song by song (hello Compliance!!) the album may fall for me in the same boredom as ST. 

Matt said this album is like a compilation of their career. Makes no sense there is no song with the complex Opera Prog-Rock  feel, as this was Muse for more than a decade...

The TOP:

Verona, Kill or be killed, WOTP, Wont Stand Dawn

The LOWS:

Compliance, Euphoria, Liberation

Rest +- Okayish.

really surprised I disliked the two piano songs, because I LOVE Piano Muse. But both are really forgettable, simple and they have the same structure problem explained above. Liberation is a straightforward ballad you could expect to be part of Cyosleep better than a Muse album. A plain piano ballad. Ghosts is miles away from UsOE even if it tries to be like it with its Queenish vibes.

Really hated Euphoria, is a clone of Mercy (which I always hated) with no inspiration. Unfortunately you can expect this to be on each gig.

Halloween is like a side b of Simulation Theory, close to Thought Contagion. Its okay the most.

We are fucking fucked has the potential to be something really big, a great gig and disc finisher as Knights of Cydonia was. But unfortunately the same than in the rest of tracks happens and it does not "explode" significantly. With a real progression and 2 more minutes by chaining chords and riffs it would have been mesmerizing. Missed oportunity.

Verona is a guilty pleasure, likely the most original song of the album, natural and well finished.

----

Disc is OK, dont get me wrong. But that is also the problem. Ok, but nothing great. Not to be remembered as a whole after fifteen days.

Edited by DrMalignoXXX

On 8/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, That Little Animal said:

People can explain them to me a million times, and I might finally grasp what NFTs are, but I’ll never understand why they exist or what purpose they serve. 

As far as I'm concerned, NFTs are just a way to separate people from their money for something they will never physically own. It's the 21st Century equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes it's not there but you believe it is, because everyone tells you so. 🙄

Not for me! 😶

Edited by MUSEologist

That last "numb all the paaaiiiin" into the little solo in Euphoria, THAT is my happy place, wow, that's the best moment of the album for me. I hope this gets played live, playing that on the guitar sounds so much fun. This should be a single! It's just so happy sounding and think the world could do with a bit of that right now. It's 2022 version of TIRO, you can even sing the pre-chorus and chorus to TIRO lyrics. It's better than Get up and Fight, Blockades and Revolt etc This nails what those are trying to hit.

Edited by Hypermused

35 minutes ago, CodeBreakerShyOutsider said:

To be honest there ARE songs that I found garbage on the first listen (Liberation, to a lesser extent the ending of Ghost).

I knew going into listening to the album that Liberation would be the Queen cheese fest but I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it still. It's not as cheesy like USoE that made it completely unlistenable. 

Matt's vocals in Liberation is what I enjoy the most honestly. 

• Like 1