But this is about publishing rights and like it or not Matt is the primary songwriter for Muse. Thus it's mainly about Matt.

Dunno, I guess that my main problem is that we've all heard from interviews how does the recording process go and the amount of input that every band member has, so that could be what I find wrong with the article, even though Matt is listed as the primary songwriter, it doesn't mean that he's the boss. They made it sound like he's got the whip and the one who wrote all of the songs on his own.

anyway chris probably doesn't even know :LOL:

Or care, he's got bigger problems.

'Matt, who along with his band' :wtf:

Oh, so they're Matt's band now. Sorry, I thought they were all equals and were in it cos they were 3 mates wanting to have fun and make amazing music. My mistake.

:facepalm:

Oh for pity's sake! Sorry but when are people going to stop diminishing the contribution Matt has made to this band and stop fighting against the reality of the situation. Yes they are three mates who want to have fun and Muse wouldn't be Muse without all three of their contributions, but sorry there is no way that the contribution has been totally equal. It's obvious. Though Matt is totally modest about it.

Oh for pity's sake! Sorry but when are people going to stop diminishing the contribution Matt has made to this band and stop fighting against the reality of the situation. Yes they are three mates who want to have fun but sorry there is no way that the contribution has been totally equal. It's obvious. Though Matt is totally modest about it.

Oh, Jesus, let's not turn this into a Matt is a genius thread, okay? There have been songs, of course, in which Matt had the primary songwriting, but the band as a whole has a lot to do with music, it's not just Matt. If Dom, or Chris think that something should be out, it's out. Matt actually listens to what they've got to say. And he's the bloody frontman, it's normal that he gets the attention and most of the credit.

Oh for pity's sake! Sorry but when are people going to stop diminishing the contribution Matt has made to this band and stop fighting against the reality of the situation. Yes they are three mates who want to have fun and Muse wouldn't be Muse without all three of their contributions, but sorry there is no way that the contribution has been totally equal. It's obvious. Though Matt is totally modest about it.

Yeah I do see that but I just feel it's unfair that the article seems to be giving no credit at all to Dom or Chris. The band themselves seem to see themselves as equal and the article portrays them as Matt being 'Muse' and Dom and Chris just being his backing band. :/ If that were the case they should have just called themselves Matt and the Bellamys or something :LOL:

So really I'm just annoyed at the way the article worded/portrayed things, not Muse. Sorry for any misunderstanding :)

She was just pointing out that it is all about Matt and it doesn't seem right as a whole. But this argument happens everytime matt is mentioned more by name in an article about Muse.

I see the publishing deal being a good one as Warner are very good with that part of things but I do hope it won't lead to an extention of a recording deal. :stunned:

Oh, Jesus, let's not turn this into a Matt is a genius thread, okay? There have been songs, of course, in which Matt had the primary songwriting, but the band as a whole has a lot to do with music, it's not just Matt. There are songs in which it probably is equal.

No there haven't just been songs where Matt is the primary songwriter, the vast majority of the songs are written by Matt. Otherwise he wouldn't get the writers credit for them all. He's also the frontman, the guitarist, and the pianist and does the majority of the interviews, though normally with Dom. It was also Matt who negotiated their initial contracts if you read the books. Now I'm not trying to belitte the achievements of Chris or Dom who are excellent musicians and performers, but I just think people should give Matt his due where it's deserved. He makes a huge contribution to this band and that cannot be denied and he deserves the credit that Warner have given him in this article.

Oh, so they're Matt's band now. Sorry, I thought they were all equals and were in it cos they were 3 mates wanting to have fun and make amazing music. My mistake.

Dunno, I guess that my main problem is that we've all heard from interviews how does the recording process go and the amount of input that every band member has, so that could be what I find wrong with the article, even though Matt is listed as the primary songwriter, it doesn't mean that he's the boss. They made it sound like he's got the whip and the one who wrote all of the songs on his own.

Or care, he's got bigger problems.

Bellamy is the sole songwriter, therefore probably the only name on the contract with Warner Chappell. The WC execs are not going to name the other two because they're not in the contract, and they're hardly going to put them in there just to spare a few fans' rage.

Also, Warner Chappell US is just a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Warner Chappell handle the publishing rights for the US and Canada territories, and Bellamy is considered to be the sole songwriter for Muse. It's not a snub at the other two, it's just representative of the contract WC have with Bellamy and Muse as a whole.

Yes indeed.

No there haven't just been songs where Matt is the primary songwriter, the vast majority of the songs are written by Matt. Otherwise he wouldn't get the writers credit for them all. He's also the frontman, the guitarist, and the pianist and does the majority of the interviews, though normally with Dom. It was also Matt who negotiated their initial contracts if you read the books. Now I'm not trying to belitte the achievements of Chris or Dom who are excellent musicians and performers, but I just think people should give Matt his due where it's deserved. He makes a huge contribution to this band and that cannot be denied and he deserves the credit that Warner have given him in this article.

For once I agree with you. Matt IS the songwriter of the band.

This article is pissing me off even more because it's Matthew Bellamy this, and Matthew Bellamy that... If there weren't for Chris and Dom who knows where would Muse go? It sounds like Matt's the band, and Chris and Dom are just his back-up players that he takes on tour. :facepalm:

In response to this, read:

Also, Warner Chappell US is just a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Warner Chappell handle the publishing rights for the US and Canada territories, and Bellamy is considered to be the sole songwriter for Muse. It's not a snub at the other two, it's just representative of the contract WC have with Bellamy and Muse as a whole.

But this is about publishing rights and like it or not Matt is the primary songwriter for Muse. Thus it's mainly about Matt.

That :)

It's about publishing rights for future songs written by Matt, whatever he writes, with or without Muse. Yes, the band is a collaboration, but the lyrics and basic melodies are written by Matt, so he is the one the label mentions when talking about publishing rights. I don't think people should read too much into it and get defensive on the part of Chris and Dom.

I think it could point to Matt thinking more seriously about doing some solo work, whether it's songs he releases himself (a la Brandon Flowers) or movie scores and songs given to other people (like the international and soaked)

I wonder if Matt being in LA recently had anything to do with this, maybe he is there for some label talks and being schmoozed by industry types rather than just meeting up with a certain lady...?

EDIT: this is what I get for getting sidetracked while writing a reply, there's like a whole page more I haven't read :chuckle::$

Who cares? Its not liek it would change anything abotu the bands direction or the music they write. How they play and what they do live wouldn't really be all that different if they weren't with Warner. Who gives a fuck?

There are lots of things besides the music creation that Warner fucks up.

I'm not going to argue over something that doesn't have a lot to do with the article, I'll go with Gareeh and eat marshmallows. I don't agree with you, but this is not the thread to discuss it in. In the end, the point is that the music is good. And oh yeah, with the promotion thing, that's not a good argument, sure Matt does the most because he's the frontman and everybody wants to know what does the frontman think, and Dom was always right there with Matt. Chris, on the other hand, has a family to be with.

I'm pretty meh about the extension, as long as Muse (or Matt, if the extension concerns him only) are content with it.

There are lots of things besides the music creation that Warner fucks up.

This si true, but we all knew Muse would eventually go more mainstream worldwide no matter how much we didn't want it to happen and that eventually they'd end up in shitty movies as part of the soundtrack. I hate it too, but it was inevitable

Who cares? Its not liek it would change anything abotu the bands direction or the music they write. How they play and what they do live wouldn't really be all that different if they weren't with Warner. Who gives a fuck?

becuz warner ruins eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything!!!!!

;)

I think in at least some cases people who don't like recent music or the direction they're going want to have someone to blame other than the band. It's a lot easier to think "Muse is the same band I've always loved, it's just that there's that darned label changing everything and ruining it!" than it is to think "Maybe the band has changed so much I don't even really like them anymore". By blaming the label, you can hold out hope that if they'd just leave the label everything would go back to "normal".

This si true, but we all knew Muse would eventually go more mainstream worldwide no matter how much we didn't want it to happen and that eventually they'd end up in shitty movies as part of the soundtrack. I hate it too, but it was inevitable

I'm not talking about becoming mainstream. I'm talking about Youtube, Spotify, moving forward and a lot of other things that Warner seems to think is controlled by the devil. Warner isn't great for any band to be on right now.

becuz warner ruins eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything!!!!!

;)

I think in at least some cases people who don't like recent music or the direction they're going want to have someone to blame other than the band. It's a lot easier to think "Muse is the same band I've always loved, it's just that there's that darned label changing everything and ruining it!" than it is to think "Maybe the band has changed so much I don't even really like them anymore". By blaming the label, you can hold out hope that if they'd just leave the label everything would go back to "normal".

:yesey:

We can only wait and see what's going to happen next.

+1.

And the article doesn't say anything at all :erm: extended in..what?

When a contract is extended it means it's extended in length. Standard business terminology. It doesn't mean Matt agreed to let Warner own his chickens, future children and a plot of land on Mars.

I can't believe people regard this as "flip-out" material. Simple business technicality and very standard press release. Maybe it's because I work at a newspaper, but this is nothing spectacular and certainly no reason to dumpster-drop your Muse posters. Standard fare. I love it when people lose the plot over anyone's involvement in a sizable corporation, as if "big" anything is automatic evil. Kind of hypocritical, too, for anyone who's ever bought Coca-Cola, shopped at Walmart, driven a Ford, taken a prescription drug, eaten at McDonalds, or has broadband internet service.

I have no problem if someone doesn't like the direction of Muse's music. Move on, that's fine. But really, don't go apeshit over a totally benign formality like a contract extension.

Guess next time first baseman Ryan Howard signs a contract extension with the Phillies I should throw stuff and curse him as a sellout, eh?

^^^ I asked that Triple C because I have no idea how those stuff work, thanks for answering! :)

And I have nothing to say about warner...I hate it most of the time (and with good reasons most of the time) but whatever, I don't care anymore

You didn't get it right:

Matt already gets all the credit he deserves, and sometimes even more.

But where are the credits for the rest? I almost never see it.

Do you understand it now?

let's not argue. in fact, bonfire tonight, we'll sit around it singing neutron star collision. marshmallows ? sorted.

I'd say yes, but did you know that the vibrations of NSC create cheese in every sort of food?* Ew, cheese marshmallows.

* scientifically proven

Archived