Is that a W123 Mercedes in your sig?

I haven't a clue, it's just the artwork from the new Arcade Fire album, which is ace.

Oh yeah, it's lovely to come into a thread where people know so little about the music industry yet decide to convince everyone that they're right. Funny.

You didn't get it right:

Matt already gets all the credit he deserves, and sometimes even more.

But where are the credits for the rest? I almost never see it.

Do you understand it now?

I think you miss the point of this press release.

Bellamy is named on the contract with Warner Chappell as the sole songwriter which is why he's the only one named in the press release. It's NOT a snub at the others, it's simply a matter of business procedure.

I think you miss the point of this press release.

Bellamy is named on the contract with Warner Chappell as the sole songwriter which is why he's the only one named in the press release. It's NOT a snub at the others, it's simply a matter of business procedure.

I was answering to CarrieB's post about "stop saying that Matt doesn't deserve recognition". Because it0s not true, he's always getting it.

About the post itself, I only commented on the fact I didn't understand the extended part. Already got it explained.

Ok?

^^^ I asked that Triple C because I have no idea how those stuff work, thanks for answering! :)

And I have nothing to say about warner...I hate it most of the time (and with good reasons most of the time) but whatever, I don't care anymore

You didn't get it right:

Matt already gets all the credit he deserves, and sometimes even more.

But where are the credits for the rest? I almost never see it.

Do you understand it now?

I understand perfectly. What Matt gets on this board is a backlash because he just happens to make the biggest contribution to the band and gets recognised for that, and people don't like it.

The press release suggests Matt is going to release some stuff in his own name. Which wouldn't surprise me, Muse are taking longer breaks between each album these days and Chris has so many kids :LOL:

Chris said recently that Matt had no time for that.

+1 It was my first thought too, when I read this. Why only Matt?! MUSE it's Matt, Chris and Dom actually, you WB suckers!!!

Guys, keep in mind this is a business press release. It isn't written by a seasoned music journalist. I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think anyone who is more knowledgeable knows Muse is not a solo act. In this case it seems Matt is the one handling the business aspect and as such was the one that got all the glowing "PR speak" tossed at him. Again ... PR ... not journalism. Yes, it's annoying when writers (or fans) forget that Dom and Chris are part of the band too, but this isn't something I'd consider serious music writing ...

I understand perfectly. What Matt gets on this board is a backlash because he just happens to make the biggest contribution to the band and gets recognised for that, and people don't like it.

..uh, no, I see it as a "we're getting more people in here that just knows who matt is and don't care about anything else". I love what Matt did, it makes me feel so many emotions most of the time, but seriously, I'm sick of people who gives me the "Dom who? Chris who?". And for me I always care about everyone, even the tech sound in a gig that made it all go right so we could have an amazing sound, etc. Most people I know are not like that. I'm thankful for for everyone that makes everything go alright. It's not just the band, it's everyone else working for it.

Same in comics business, the person who edits the layouts, the person who does the lettering, etc. How many people do you know who care about this?

..uh, no, I see it as a "we're getting more people in here that just knows who matt is and don't care about anything else". I love what Matt did, it makes me feel so many emotions most of the time, but seriously, I'm sick of people who gives me the "Dom who? Chris who?". And for me I always care about everyone, even the tech sound in a gig that made it all go right so we could have an amazing sound, etc. Most people I know are not like that.

No matter how much you appreciate Dom and Chris, they are not considered songwriters, and are therefore not gonna be mentioned in an article like this, which is what Carrie said.

..uh, no, I see it as a "we're getting more people in here that just knows who matt is and don't care about anything else". I love what Matt did, it makes me feel so many emotions most of the time, but seriously, I'm sick of people who gives me the "Dom who? Chris who?". And for me I always care about everyone, even the tech sound in a gig that made it all go right so we could have an amazing sound, etc. Most people I know are not like that.

I'm sorry but you know fuck all about the music industry.

As people have said countless amounts of times, it has been decided that the music is registered under Matt's name and this has been the case probably in the days before they were with Warner. This is just a matter of protocol that has been taken so far out of context that almost everything we have to live for is non-existent and futile. Stop trying to read too much into it.

And I'm not saying that Chris and Dom aren't as talented. They are, but they've decided that they want a backseat in the business end of things.

Warner have greatly empowered the band. It's hard to point blame at Warner for the things we don't like about the band. There's simply not much evidence that Warner have been fueling all the issues that people on the message boards and elsewhere have with things like single choices and set lists. It's a joint venture between the band, management, the and record label. I don't buy into the image of Warner as some great monster stomping on what Muse could have been with the idea of turning them into a moneymaking tool. Warner have indeed enabled Muse to do things like turn their live shows into light shows, which is what some people are critical of, and I'm sure they are at odds with the band and management at times, but they simply aren't responsible for everything of which people have been critical.

I'm really interested to know exactly what this deal is all about. The article is so very vague. I get the feeling from the last paragraph it's more about extending the publishing of music to new media outlets and formats, but it's not explicitly stated.

No there haven't just been songs where Matt is the primary songwriter, the vast majority of the songs are written by Matt. Otherwise he wouldn't get the writers credit for them all. He's also the frontman, the guitarist, and the pianist and does the majority of the interviews, though normally with Dom. It was also Matt who negotiated their initial contracts if you read the books. Now I'm not trying to belitte the achievements of Chris or Dom who are excellent musicians and performers, but I just think people should give Matt his due where it's deserved. He makes a huge contribution to this band and that cannot be denied and he deserves the credit that Warner have given him in this article.

Correct. The whole band do obviously have input, but when it comes down to it, it's Matt who is the primary source of the songwriting.

I don't know much about the nature of the contracts signed and the copyright law, but Matt is the primary holder and is the band member who will officially make the big decisions.

PEOPLE when do you understand I was answering to a post about saying that people on here don't care about Matt?!

Seriously, I am not even talking about this post, when I read it I knew why they would have to say Matt.

SO STOP REPLYING TO ME ok?

And Max I know that's the way it works, I wasn't saying what you are referring in your post. It's the same things in comics (because that's my world). Sometimes it's the Writer who is given the name, sometimes is the artist! I mean, it's not equal, it's not good, but I understand WHY. Ok? Same thing for here

Geez people.

Guys.. I don't think we're all talking about exactly the same thing any more. Okay, so maybe this particular sort of article has no need to mention Dom and Chris, but I think Pokemew is talking about the general attitude towards Dom and Chris, as in Matt's the main one and they're just the 'backing band' when that shouldn't be the case. Sooo.. let's not argue, kay? :)

Now, where was that campfire? I want marshmallows..

So we know fuck all about this hmm.. and I suppose you know it all?

Wow way to judge a book by it's cover.

I know a bit because of my brother but I'll leave it there since you are just going to have a jibe at me because I am not as important as you guys. There is a definate hierarchy here!

Toodle Pip!

Well I haven't noticed anyone like that, not on this board anyway, and outside, the majority don't know who any of them are. Of course everyone who contributes deserves appreciation, but it goes a bit too far when an article is written concerning publishing rights (which is indeed just a business formality) and people are up in arms about the other two not being mentioned by name when they're not the writer.

It's like not mentioning one child's achievements because the other two children haven't the same achievement.

I read the post wrong, I thought the bonfire was going to be us burning NSC.....

If only that was possible. ...Although... maybe it's worth a try. I'll bring the accelerant! :awesome:

Oh and maybe a bribe for the music gods, so that they'll agree to take NSC back.

I haven't a clue, it's just the artwork from the new Arcade Fire album, which is ace.

Oh yeah, it's lovely to come into a thread where people know so little about the music industry yet decide to convince everyone that they're right. Funny.

Oh then yeah, then it's a w116 Mercedes. Close. Sorry for the hijack, that was random.:$

And no, I don't know anything about the music industry and wasn't trying to say I do. I was simply commenting on the nature of the piece of writing. By now, I do know a lot of shitty press releases. And the general tendency to get "holier than thou" about "sellouts." And I wasn't really trying to say I'm "right" so much as offer an opinion.

Guys.. I don't think we're all talking about exactly the same thing any more. Okay, so maybe this particular sort of article has no need to mention Dom and Chris, but I think Pokemew is talking about the general attitude towards Dom and Chris, as in Matt's the main one and they're just the 'backing band' when that shouldn't be the case. Sooo.. let's not argue, kay? :)

Now, where was that campfire? I want marshmallows..

Exactly, but I was not referring about in terms of the industry. I was talking referring to fans in here. I know how it has to work in the industry.

that's why I try not to post in here. This is worst than being interviewed to be published in a paper, when they usually twist our words. I've seen it being done to friends who are artists, and even to me in the newspaper. But in here is worst, you people just twist what we say and don't get what and who we are commenting to.

So we know fuck all about this hmm.. and I suppose you know it all?

Wow way to judge a book by it's cover.

I know a bit because of my brother but I'll leave it there since you are just going to have a jibe at me because I am not as important as you guys. There is a definate hierarchy here!

Toodle Pip!

What the hell are you on about?

Well I haven't noticed anyone like that, not on this board anyway, and outside, the majority don't know who any of them are. Of course everyone who contributes deserves appreciation, but it goes a bit too far when an article is written concerning publishing rights (which is indeed just a business formality) and people are up in arms about the other two not being mentioned by name when they're not the writer.

It's like not mentioning one child's achievements because the other two children haven't the same achievement.

AGAIN, I was referring to the fans part. Not the industry. Especially their record company! Of course they only have to refer to Matt! I didn't even posted in here saying otherwise! I was just trying to comment on the fans part that YOU were talking about. Geez

Archived