Warner/Chappell Music U.S. extended its music publishing agreement with Matthew Bellamy, songwriter/front man for multi-platinum English modern rock band Muse. Encompassing the United States and Canada, the agreement continues to cover the award winning group’s current and future works, including the multi-platinum-selling Black Holes and Revelations as well as their latest album, The Resistance, embodying the smash singles “Uprising,” which hit No.1 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart and No. 2 on the Rock Songs chart, and the title track “Resistance,” which was also No.1 on the Alternative Songs chart and peaked at No.7 on the Rock Songs chart. Warner/Chappell Music U.K. continues to administer the group’s works for the rest of the world.

The band's lead vocalist, guitarist and pianist Matthew Bellamy is also its primary songwriter and lyricist. His songs and the unique sound the band has created have met with critical praise and chart success around the world. Adding to their already established critical success, Muse has been enjoying commercial appeal as well, with their previous two studio albums, Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations hitting No.1 in France, Belgium, Switzerland, UK, Ireland and Australia, as well as with Top 10 chart positions in many other countries. The Resistance was certified Gold by the RIAA in April for 2010.

Muse is also widely recognized as one of the world's top live draws, twice winning the BRIT Award for ‘Best Live Act' among a host of other plaudits including Q, NME and MTV awards. In addition, Bellamy is growing his reputation as a composer, especially for films including writing the end title music for The International, which was released in 2009, as well the song “Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever)” which is featured in the 2010 film sensation The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and embodied on the film’s critically acclaimed soundtrack as the lead single.

“We’re delighted to extend our agreement with Matt, who along with his band has been a terrific source of groundbreaking music that has not only been widely acclaimed, but has also proven to have tremendous commercial appeal,” said Scott Francis, President, Warner/Chappell Music, and Chairman and CEO, Warner/Chappell Music U.S. “Matt’s compelling songs and Muse’s exciting recordings and live performances have them on the way to superstardom. We look forward to continuing to find homes for Matt’s songs among new audiences and across a range of music outlets and media projects.”

http://www.warnerchappell.com/news.jsp?dataId=1338487#top

got it in an email from warner/chappell for some reason

It really says little about how the "agreement" is being extended. Extended in time? To new media? To cover more of Muse's previous material?

I noticed that too, despite my anger. This report is unbelievably vague. I can only hope it's not extended in time. *fingers crossed*

This article is pissing me off even more because it's Matthew Bellamy this, and Matthew Bellamy that... If there weren't for Chris and Dom who knows where would Muse go? It sounds like Matt's the band, and Chris and Dom are just his back-up players that he takes on tour. :facepalm:

This article is pissing me off even more because it's Matthew Bellamy this, and Matthew Bellamy that... If there weren't for Chris and Dom who knows where would Muse go? It sounds like Matt's the band, and Chris and Dom are just his back-up players that he takes on tour. :facepalm:

+1.

And the article doesn't say anything at all :erm: extended in..what?

Jeez Muse, you're worse than Pendulum. After the previous 2 albums for both bands I expected them both to leave Warner because of the way in which they treat the fans like bloody idiots. If we wanted material so badly we'd get it on torrent websites, warner seem to think youtube is some sort of paradise for pirates and generally treat the fans like crap.

Muse are big enough for Sony and Universal and potentially going independent. I don't like this.

+1.

And the article doesn't say anything at all :erm: extended in..what?

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. It could be extended in different forms...

Time for change, muse are big enough for EMI are potentially going independent. I don't like this.

From what I've heard, Muse are not too fond of Warner either. But I'm not sure that they feel confident enough, despite everything, to leave Warner now, because they want to break America without having anything to do with Twilight, I think.

+1 It was my first thought too, when I read this. Why only Matt?! MUSE it's Matt, Chris and Dom actually, you WB suckers!!!

From what I've heard, Muse are not too fond of Warner either. But I'm not sure that they feel confident enough, despite everything, to leave Warner now, because they want to break America without having anything to do with Twilight, I think.

i changed it to universal and sony because of my stupidity in that last statement.

edit: at above, you reall think dom and CHRIS [especially] care about this stuff.

What have you heard? I was under the impression that Muse liked Warner.

What have you heard? I was under the impression that Muse liked Warner.

I think it was on one of those Meet Muse MySpace things...Matt made a comment (I can't remember well, it was a while ago), but he made a comment about Warner that didn't sound too happy, he sounded annoyed.

OK so what's the big deal about this?

There isn't one.

But this is about publishing rights and like it or not Matt is the primary songwriter for Muse. Thus it's mainly about Matt.

Archived