A muse song you hate

tillydog

Aftermath is good, The Globalist is the one that's bad

I might sign off on this one. I don't hate any of their songs, per se. I would call it "passionately apathetic". But since so many have named Aftermath already, The Globalist would be my choice. I liked the intro, I liked the hard rock section, hated the USoE redux. Even then, the intro was too long and the hard rock payoff felt way too short to be fully satisfying. In their defense, I allowed my expectations to get the best of me.

Honorable mention: NSC

There isn't any song I hate all the way through, but there are definitely a few that are only palatable for a certain duration of the tune.

I can't stomach listening to I Belong To You once he goes all french. Up to that point the song is nothing more than okay filler.

The only section of Explorers I can listen to and enjoy is from 3:10 onward, when the jingles start during the chorus.

I've said it before and I will continue to say it, The Globalist is terrible apart from that middle breakdown & solo which should have been it's own track between Reapers and The Handler.

I really enjoy the opening “third” of The Globalist (particularly once the lyrics come in), some really good melodies and chord progressions, but it would have worked so much better as 3 ( or at least 2) separate, fully expanded songs, one for each section

I think The Globalist was victim of its hype as being a Citizen Erased 2 that it could only really suffer in comparison with the original.

On its own terms, I do like it and think each individual part kinda works, even if the transitions are a bit awkward. Though I personally would prefer it if the heavier bit was longer and had a better transition into the piano section, as well as the piano bit being something more than Elgar with extra lyrics/bass/drums.

I don't like any of The Globalist. Not one bit. Even the heavy bit is dull af. It's even worse with all three bits strung together. It reminds me of Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree. None of it fits together, and it's plagued by pomposity and delusions of grandeur. It's almost as if both songs respective writers didn't know when to stop and then stepped back, admired their creations in their full glory and treated themselves with a wank over the first vinyl pressing.

I think the whole thing is just Matt at his most uninspired. I've said this loads of times but the fact that he took one Morricone ripoff, one melody from Unnatural Selection, one riff inspired by Helsinki Jam and then ended the whole thing with a cover is just...mind boggling. And to follow that up? Oh just another cover.

It seems a bit paradoxical that Exogenesis is one long piece separated into 3 tracks while The Globalist feels like 3 separate songs forced together into a single track. I also find it strange that they didn't decide to include Drones in the track since it basically serves as a coda anyway. Maybe they really wanted to have a title track. The Globalist/Drones combo has some bright spots but not enough to justify it taking up a quarter of the album.

It seems a bit paradoxical that Exogenesis is one long piece separated into 3 tracks while The Globalist feels like 3 separate songs forced together into a single track.

I’d say the exact opposite tbh :chuckle: I can’t imagine any of TG’s parts being isolated tracks and I’ve said for years that Exo feels more like 3 separate songs that loosely flow into each other than 1 long piece to me

I’d say the exact opposite tbh :chuckle: I can’t imagine any of TG’s parts being isolated tracks and I’ve said for years that Exo feels more like 3 separate songs that loosely flow into each other than 1 long piece to me

I don't totally disagree with you but I'd argue that the Exogenesis tracks flow together a lot better than The Globalist's sections. I don't think that The Globalist's sections could be isolated tracks unto themselves as-is but they sound like 3 incomplete songs jammed together to make one disjointed song.

They flow together because they're separated...hmmm?

Actually, I agree with you. Separate tracks or not, Exogenesis feels like a complete piece with appropriate transitions. The Globalist sections are jarringly juxtaposed together without much sense of flow. Either way, I wouldn't necessarily call either of them "a Muse song that I hate."

Archived