I honestly don't understand it. Explain to me what I'm missing? Maybe my ears/heart are broken

It’s just lovely. The soft acoustic finger work climbing up that C chord combined with the warbling synth arpeggios and rain/thunder. V intimate vibe with Dom counting in, Matt’s restrained vocals and the sweet, nostalgic but sad lyrics that sound hopeful and hopeless at the same time. Then that ultimate emotional release at the end (without going OTT) before fading back to how the song started.

I’d be in floods if I ever saw it live, v high up on my requests bucket list.

It’s just lovely. The soft acoustic finger work climbing up that C chord combined with the warbling synth arpeggios and rain/thunder. V intimate vibe with Dom counting in, Matt’s restrained vocals and the sweet, nostalgic but sad lyrics that sound hopeful and hopeless at the same time. Then that ultimate emotional release at the end (without going OTT) before fading back to how the song started.

I’d be in floods if I ever saw it live, v high up on my requests bucket list.

I gave it another listen with what you said in mind...it still fell flat to my ears, but I suppose that says more about me than it does the song. I love it when Matt goes over the top, lol. Thanks for taking the time to explain the appeal to me!

I gave it another listen with what you said in mind...it still fell flat to my ears, but I suppose that says more about me than it does the song. I love it when Matt goes over the top, lol. Thanks for taking the time to explain the appeal to me!

Same, I think Muse’s bombast is their biggest draw but that makes any well done moments of restraint more impressive and refreshing for me.

Hate This And I'll Love You

just droppin in with the assist

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=3086

I have a vague memory of mentioning I didn't really care for HTAILY at some point and catching a lot of flack for it and people saying it's one of the best songs on Showbiz. Perhaps it was on another site actually, but whatever. On repeated listens, I actually came to enjoy the song a lot more, but I still take over half the rest of Showbiz over it. It's pretty much a couple steps above Escape, Overdue, and Sober, and not really on par with anything else for me.

So that's why it strikes me as overrated.

HTAILY is god tier Muse.

Tbh, Exogenesis is hugely overrated. Everyone creams themselves over it as if it somehow legitimises Muse as a genuinely cerebral band when it's basically three sub-par Musey pieces stuck together in an extremely unsophisticated manner. Same goes for The Globalist.

Tbh, Exogenesis is hugely overrated. Everyone creams themselves over it as if it somehow legitimises Muse as a genuinely cerebral band when it's basically three sub-par Musey pieces stuck together in an extremely unsophisticated manner. Same goes for The Globalist.

I enjoy the first and third parts of Exogenesis but the second is pretty naff.

God, The Globalist is possibly the most generic Muse song ever...along with Mercy. A Morricone ripoff+a live jam+a cover with added vocals. Jfc Matt.

Agreed with all the Globalist points as well. Best part is the little lead guitar line in the heavy section and it only lasts for five seconds.

Hmm, let’s see. I agree with recent comments about Exogenesis and The Globalist. I always thought Exogenesis was hampered by its pretentious billing as a “symphony” despite there being no repeating/developing themes across the three movements, and it featured some of the band’s most basic orchestration at the time. I’ve softened on it over the years because I still think it’s a pleasant enough listen and admire Matt’s ambition to self-produce and arrange in spite of his limitations (which weren’t so obvious beforehand). Also, it felt like it rounded out a mostly satisfactory conclusion to its album, unlike what T2L and Drones managed. I still feel defiant if people call it a masterpiece though :p !

I enjoy aspects of The Globalist to an extent, but it suffers from sounding like multiple pieces (some more complete than others) merged into one rather than a single, well-developed composition. Again, a lot of my feelings about the track have to do with expectation vs reality – for years, I assumed the band could make an excellent 10/15 minute song full of developing ideas, got excited when I heard they were actually trying, and felt confused/disappointed when it didn’t seem to work as naturally as I'd hoped. I thought the rising bit in the heavy section was the most amateurish-sounding/poorly executed moment I’d heard on a Muse record to date – there was a real sense that Dom and Chris were completely out of sync with Matt’s (fine) guitar line/the backing strings ... which had never happened before, in my opinion. Back when I was listening to the first four albums, I’d never have dreamed all three members of the band and a producer would go on to sign off on an arrangement like that. A bit harsh of me, I know :LOL:!!

I mean, in fairness, I don’t know that either of those would qualify as “most overrated Muse songs”, as I get the impression quite a few people share similar views on them.

For a couple of other honourable mentions that don’t quite fit the bill:

The Small Print – pacy and fairly engaging, but not a great example of their heavy side for me. My least favourite Absolution track along with ToaDA.

Fury – enjoyable enough, but not even one of my favourite B-sides. Never quite understood why it became such a popular/requested song.

Liquid State (sort of?) – as much as I appreciate the gesture of including a couple of Chris’s songs on T2L, there are no two Muse tracks I’d have rather been B-sides. A lot of people seem to be more neutral or positive about LS than me, so it seems overrated by default haha!

In the end I’d probably settle on Assassin or (more controversially) Map of the Problematique :eek: ! Assassin is great for allowing Dom an opportunity to show off and giving the whole band a bit of a workout, but I’ve never quite taken to it the way a lot of people seem to have. Map is a good song, but I’m often surprised at just how positively people talk about it/how loyally the band have kept it in contention for live revivals. It’s been performed live at all of the Muse gigs I’ve been to so I’ve had plenty of exposure to the experience, and it’s always been good but never a highlight. Of the forgotten singles, I think Invincible and (maybe to a lesser extent) Sing For Absolution are the tricks they’re missing. I’d rather one of them use up a “singalong ballad” slot and add a bit of their colour/spacey-ness to the set. Map could be swapped out in favour of a number of more energetic songs without me minding :$

Fury – enjoyable enough, but not even one of my favourite B-sides. Never quite understood why it became such a popular/requested song.

In the end I’d probably settle on Assassin or (more controversially) Map of the Problematique :eek: !

:stunned::wtf::noey:

I don't really know if Exogenesis is really that overrated except maybe by the band themselves during its promotion.

The fanbase opinion from what I've seen tends to be something similar to what Clunge said, especially if you were there for The Resistance build-up and were really expecting a symphony.

And outside the fanbase I haven't seen it gain them any high prestige or anything. I don't see people that kinda know Muse praise them for how they wrote a 15 minute symphony. The most popular ended up being Redemption because of the music video which everyone just sees as a nice piano ballad now.

I remember hearing clips of every track on The Resistance ahead of release on a UK radio broadcast, and at that point I was even more excited about Exogenesis than before. Part 1, in particular, sounded like a great way to open up a long, sprawling track. But again, there was a bit of a personal expectation vs reality thing that undermined my enjoyment of the finished piece. I came away from the "symphony" feeling like I'd listened to three relatively tasteful fragments with potential - each a bit less developed/complete-sounding than the last. Taken as little vignettes, they were nice, but I'd completely given myself the wrong idea about what to expect based on the way Matt was hyping everything up!!

In fact, I remember him saying that even the most "normal" song on the album (Uprising) would be taking its cues from the strangest on the last (presumably referring to the multitracked harmonies on KoC). I know not to take these sorts of throwaway comment too seriously anymore - and that Matt is a little out of touch when it comes to what is or isn't "crazy", experimental, a sequel to this or that track or whatever else. But I fell for it hook, line and sinker that time. And it's always the *potential* that's the killer :p !

Archived