That was in response to another poster making a radiohead comparison.

By the way, there should totally be a 'Godwin' style rule for radiohead comparisons.

Yorke's Law.

And you still haven't responded to it. How is Muse's "brand" as a band not caused by themselves?

Then why even point it out? The original comment was a comparison in which Radiohead was a far more varied band with the setlist, so your point was? :p

I guess I was making the point that Muse have always had different objectives and a different approach. Seems to work for them as they can sell out arenas/stadiums anywhere in the world which isn't so common anymore.

Question - on a few of the gig threads I've noticed a lot of people hoping for an appearance of Dead Star. I'm just wondering - why this particular song exactly? I mean it's alright, though I prefer some of their other old stuff - and why do people even think it's going to get played, when it's rarely been played before and why this song is more likely to get played than any other old song like say...Showbiz or something like that? :confused:

Question - on a few of the gig threads I've noticed a lot of people hoping for an appearance of Dead Star. I'm just wondering - why this particular song exactly? I mean it's alright, though I prefer some of their other old stuff - and why do people even think it's going to get played, when it rarely ever has been, if ever and why this song is more likely to get played than any other old song like say...Showbiz or something like that? :confused:

Showbiz was last played 2006, Dead Star was played both this tour and in 2008.

Do Muse genuinely think that NSC, GL, FG, IBTY, UD, Starlight, Unintended and Soldier's Poem are better than MOTP, MK Ultra, CE, Bliss, RBS, Cave, Sunburn, B&H and Dead Star, to name but a few?

Srsly?

I'd kinda like to know if there are any fans/gig-goers here at all who subscribe to that view, given the binary choice?

It's just painfully baffling :'(.

Do Muse genuinely think that NSC, GL, FG, IBTY, UD, Starlight, Unintended and Soldier's Poem are better than MOTP, MK Ultra, CE, Bliss, RBS, Cave, Sunburn, B&H and Dead Star, to name but a few?

Srsly?

I'd kinda like to know if there are any fans/gig-goers here at all who subscribe to that view, given the binary choice?

I don't actually think a lot of people care, to be honest. They are happy just to see Muse, and figures that it must be so hard for them to please people, so they should be happy with the cheese fest they're getting.

Srsly?

I agree with most of what you've said, the only exceptions really being IBTY and Starlight, which I think are actually okay live. But why on earth Feeling Good is used as often as it is is beyond me. I mean, if it was played, say, once every seven or eight gigs and hadn't had so much exposure, then people might be more apathetic towards it. UD just hasn't worked live this tour.

On the whole though, it is the singles that get the biggest cheer/response from the crowd when played, because that's what most people know. Ask everyone at a Muse gig if they knew RBS, I bet a large enough % wouldn't.

The annoying thing is, they've played every song you've listed on this tour. There certainly needs to be more rotation, but rotate everything. While the majority of us would crave a setlist containing the second set of songs in your post, there's a huge Muse fanbase that knows them purely from the former.

Half and half, it's not so difficult is it Muse? Just taking your list as an example, imagine if they played (in no order, with other songs around them):

MK Ultra, Feeling Good, Sunburn, Starlight, Undisclosed Desires, IBTY, Bliss, RBS

Nobody would complain. The longterm Muse fans have the old stuff, the new fans have the new songs, and it covers all the albums. Whack in the 'staples' like Uprising, KOC, Supermassive etc, and everyone'd enjoy it

/rant

Half and half, it's not so difficult is it Muse? Just taking your list as an example, imagine if they played (in no order, with other songs around them):

MK Ultra, Feeling Good, Sunburn, Starlight, Undisclosed Desires, IBTY, Bliss, RBS

Nobody would complain. The longterm Muse fans have the old stuff, the new fans have the new songs, and it covers all the albums. Whack in the 'staples' like Uprising, KOC, Supermassive etc, and everyone'd enjoy it

/rant

well, I'd still complain. But not nearly as much. For example, that MK Ultra is nearly a rarity already is disturbing when it has the love of many a muser, and I truly believe non-hardcore musers like it too.

Archived