Putting aside opinions of songs, that album would be too full-on. It's missing the dynamics and sudden shifts that make a Muse album interesting.

Even OoS has them. New Born's quiet piano intro, and riff. The arpeggios in Bliss, and riff. Space Dementia's intro, CE's loud-soft-loud-soft, Darkshines, Feeling Good, Megalomania.

More than that, the songs you removed are pretty crucial to the album's mythology and pacing. I mean Starlight is arguably the title track, how can you remove that? Soldier's Poem and Invincible are the album's equivalent of a piano section, slowing it down for a minute before building it back up. Exo-P is the only song that's not really necessary IMO, but I do feel like the album would be missing something without it.

Tbh i really do feel like BH&R is the bands best album,as a whole, other than maybe Origin of Symmetry. It's consistently good throughout. Sure Soldiers Poem may be a little dreary for some, and Assassin isn't as powerful on the album but Take a Bow, Supermassive Black Hole, Map of the Problematique, Invincible, Assassin, Exo-Politics (i don't get the hate towards it), City of Delusion, Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia are absolute quality in my opinion and Starlight is as quality as "incredibly radio friendly" Muse is gonna get, even if it has recently turned to shit live. Showbiz for me was hit and miss, Absolution's production quality makes the album versions incredibly lacklustre compared to the monstrous amazingness of their live versions, The Resistance was eh and The 2nd Law had too many drop off points between good songs. Black Holes and Revelations to me is their best complete album and one that I can time and time again listen to all the way through or just as single songs, and have been able to since I first heard it in '08. Again, this is probably other than Origin of Symmetry which is honestly just fucking incredible in every aspect, yes even the Feeling Good cover.

• 1 month later...
Seeing as its exactly 10 years since that performance tomorrow, I think Glastonbury 2004 may well have been important for Muse's career in that it made them a mainstream band in the UK, but Pinkpop and Earls Court are the better Absolution Tour gigs.

I don't think there's any one gig that made Muse a mainstream act, although Glasto was certainly a significant moment in that process.

I don't think there's any one gig that made Muse a mainstream act, although Glasto was certainly a significant moment in that process.

I wouldn't have said it was the single gig because Absolution had been a number one album, with a top 10 single (TiRO) and they'd sold out a UK arena tour on the back of it, which is naturally big attention. But I'd say Glastonbury 2004 is a show that would have exposed them to a bigger audience that was more willing to check them out after the gig than if they hadn't done it or had been in a lower slot.

I wouldn't have said it was the single gig because Absolution had been a number one album, with a top 10 single (TiRO) and they'd sold out a UK arena tour on the back of it, which is naturally big attention. But I'd say Glastonbury 2004 is a show that would have exposed them to a bigger audience that was more willing to check them out after the gig than if they hadn't done it or had been in a lower slot.

True, true