If your clean is louder than your distortion, you need to turn up the pedal/channel output.

What setup are you using out of interest?

Your best bet is probably to set it all up for the loudest guitar, then use a clean boost (at the front of the pedal chain) to bring the other guitars up to the same level... Use a marker pen to save your settings :)

It will also destroy any hint of dynamics. Fail :)

Dynamics live pfft. Who needs them. You're only playing to a crowd of drunken idiots.

ISP Noise Decimator. But tbh the Boss one isn't that bad for the price. It's not like their 'compressor'.

I sent my boss one back after a day. coloured the tone noticeably and took away 10% of the background noise at most, still had shit loads of buzz when not playing.

Could of been a duff one though i suppose.

I sent my boss one back after a day. coloured the tone noticeably and took away 10% of the background noise at most, still had shit loads of buzz when not playing.

Depends on the settings some times and where in your chain you had it. I've got an ISP on the way to go at the end of my pedal/fx chain to eliminate all the hum/buzz coming from some of my gear aswell as the pick ups themselves. Putting it at the start of the chain (I think) Would only really stop the hum of the pick ups.

Stay away from the Boss one. The ISP one (or something like that) is meant to be really good.

ISP Noise Decimator. But tbh the Boss one isn't that bad for the price. It's not like their 'compressor'.

Depends on the settings some times and where in your chain you had it. I've got an ISP on the way to go at the end of my pedal/fx chain to eliminate all the hum/buzz coming from some of my gear aswell as the pick ups themselves. Putting it at the start of the chain (I think) Would only really stop the hum of the pick ups.

Thanks I'll check it out.

thats immense haha,then head stock should be knob colour though.

nah i dont think green would suit it

OWAIT, IZ THAT JUST ME?

:chuckle:

I use a boss noise suppressor. It's actually just a gate and it works really well, so i'd recommend it if you want a gate, but not to get rid of hum.

I should probably search, but time is short. What would you say is a good beginners bass and amp combination? Its for my brother as he seems to be pretty good at it yet he hasnt owned one. Any ideas?

There are loads of good basses around. Squire jazzs, ibanez etc.

For an amp, deffinitely go 2nd hand, get the biggest loudest amp you can find for your budget on ebay or on basschat.co.uk or in your local paper and 2nd hands shops.

MIDI controllable EQ? You might aswell get an old rackmount PC no?

Could do but I'm looking for something fairly small (2U being the biggest). I guess it doesn't have to be MIDI controllable it'd just be a bonus so that I could use it to boost mids/bass a little more with my rig at certain points.

pultec EQP-1A :D would be quite the win

on a slightly more realistic note: doeznt teh behringerz do a digital EQ? maybe that has midi in? depends really what you want to use it for

It's mainly going to be used to boost certain frequencies (to get a better lead tone without the need of 1,000,000 effects). I can get my tone sounding perfect with cubase after boosting mids a bass quite substantially. I'll take a peek at the Behringer stuff though they may have something perfect. :happy:

I wish I had the moolah for the Pulteec though haha. :p

It's mainly going to be used to boost certain frequencies (to get a better lead tone without the need of 1,000,000 effects). I can get my tone sounding perfect with cubase after boosting mids a bass quite substantially. I'll take a peek at the Behringer stuff though they may have something perfect. :happy:

I wish I had the moolah for the Pulteec though haha. :p

Isn't that what the knobs on your amp are for?

But do you want the MIDI to turn the EQ on and off? If so you might as well have a footswitch?

Or do you want the MIDI to change the EQ settings? - Do units like that exist? If so, can I have a link to one please?!

I'm after something that uses MIDI to change the EQ settings, I'm pretty sure there are some around just not sure what they're called etc. I already have something that can turn on/off pretty much all racks or bring them in and out off a loop.

Isn't that what the knobs on your amp are for?

Heh I've all ready got mids maxed on my amp. And I'd like to have a bit more control over settings without having to go over to the bleeding amp every five minutes.

I'm after something that uses MIDI to change the EQ settings, I'm pretty sure there are some around just not sure what they're called etc. I already have something that can turn on/off pretty much all racks or bring them in and out off a loop.

Heh I've all ready got mids maxed on my amp. And I'd like to have a bit more control over settings without having to go over to the bleeding amp every five minutes.

Sounds like you need a different amp!

Archived